Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tremolo or vibrato?

Quote Originally Posted by (mandocrucian @ Sep. 19 2007, 06:53)
    Re: flute

So what do you call it when you "roll the R's" ala Ian Anderson/Tull? #Also, when humming through the flute, I often get this weird, uncomfortable resonance in my ear - what's the deal here?

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>BTW: will swap mando instruction for flute instruction should any flute-players-gone-mando come through No. VA. Or, if anyone wants to get rid of excess archery gear.</span>

NH
    That "rolling of the R" like Ian Anderson of Tull is indeed flutter tonguing. As for the strange buzzing when you sing into the flute.... I have felt that too when doing weird stuff for a Contemporary Chamber Ensemble I play with.

I'm going to liken it to the beats that happen between two mando strings when they're not exactly in tune with one another. I'm sure you're familiar with that sound. Or perhaps it's an odd overtone that happens when the pitch you sing is different than the one fingered on the flute. And your head is this nice echo chamber right there! Those are the only possibilities that I can think of.

Or maybe your ear is supersensitive to certain frequencies?
    Mando Lynn (aka: Tillmanator)

Default Re: Tremolo or vibrato?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgann View Post
    Now if only we could get Swingrass '83, with that killer Andy solo on Thelonious Monk's "Skippy", on CD!
    Hi, do you have a recording of Swingrass '83 or do you know someone who could have one by any chance (or where I could find someone who has it)?

Thank you