Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Marty Stuart's F5

Default Re: Marty Stuart's F5

Bernie,
    There is nothing special about the construction. I learned to build them on my own with limited good mandolins to observe. There were better mandolin builders at that time and many wonderful artists that have built fine mandolins since. Marty's was certainly one of my better sounding mandolins and I'm proud that he likes it and has continued to play it all these years.
    Chris

Chris, I'd love to hear your recollection's of the F-5 building scene from when you were building.
    I'm in Colorado and while we're obviously way out in left field there has always been a strong bluegrass scene here and there were several guys building F copies at least by the early 70's .
    When I finished my first mandolin in '80 I had a local luthier do the set-up work and he gave me a folder filled with tracings of arches and scrolls and early computer read outs of fret spacings, stuff that had been passed around among those who wanted to make one. It's just always been something I've been interested in, how individuals got involved in doing something that only big companies had done before.

Hi Jim,
    The only other builders that I recollect being aware of at the time were Randy Wood, Tom Morgan, and some others who I can't remember just now. There weren't any in my immediate area. Hence, my having to learn on my own. My techniques were crude at the time. Having limited funds to buy bending iron and proper planes, I did all that with what was available to me. I built about
    19 or 20 F5 style and then built 4 to 5 slightly altered variants on the F5 with an inlayed W on the peg head. Nothing real exciting.
    I was just learning to build banjo necks and mandolins and repairing instruments.
    Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Warner View Post
    Hi Jim,
    The only other builders that I recollect being aware of at the time were Randy Wood, Tom Morgan, and some others who I can't remember just now. There weren't any in my immediate area. Hence, my having to learn on my own. My techniques were crude at the time. Having limited funds to buy bending iron and proper planes, I did all that with what was available to me. I built about
    19 or 20 F5 style and then built 4 to 5 slightly altered variants on the F5 with an inlayed W on the peg head. Nothing real exciting.
    I was just learning to build banjo necks and mandolins and repairing instruments.
    Chris
    Building an F-5 at that time -- with relatively little backup or help and lacking many of the tools used today was quite an amazing feat I would say.
    I assume that you probably did not have any paper patterns or plans. Where did you get the proper dimensions and the information for graduations etc. Did you have to take an F-5 apart in order to get your start?

Given how much work the Gibson factory under Derrington and others had to expend to re-create the Loar model I think the accomplishments of you and other builders back in those days was pretty remarkable. I say this because not only were good looking F-5's made -- but they sounded good as well!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Bernie,
    I did not have exact dimensions of an original, but having taken backs off of some F4's and "50's" F5's and 12s to do repairs, or to thin tops, I learned how they were constructed. I experimented with top graduations and bracing thickness's with some good results and some better than others. Hope this answers your questions.
    Chris

6. The following members say thank you to Chris Warner for this post:

Jim 

Thank you Chris for your contributions to this thread, and more importantly, to the world of mandolins.
    I really enjoy hearing the history of the builders and techniques used. I have visited a shop close to where I live and am enthralled with what goes into the construction and sculpting of these beautiful instruments.
    ....Sorry for the drool all over this subject. I still consider myself a bit of a newbee, but greatly enjoy and appreciate all that is shared or the rest of us to read.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

I've been a fan of Marty's in most of his musical endeavors for years and saw him in action a couple of times. My best memory of his playing comes from about 12 years ago or so when my band opened for his at a Truck Rodeo in Va. Beach, Va..... He did his last tune and then for an encore he came on solo with just his mandolin. He sang and played Merle Travis' old tune "Dark as a Dungeon" and it made the hair on the back of your neck stand up! It's probably got to be one of the best solo performances I've heard by anyone in my entire life and I've been around for a helluva long time. Whoever was running the sound system was also a genius as every little thing about the mandolin's tone was brought out to perfection. The only other acoustic performance I've ever seen which came close might have been Allison Krause's.........JH in Va.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Marty at 14 or in '73 was with Lester Flatt and the Nashville Grass band. He would often sing that song with Lester during that era.
    Like this:
    http://youtu.be/o6nmib7UaKA

Blog Entries

What a great video!
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

11. The following members say thank you to greg_tsam for this post:

Blog Entries

Fretboard Journal #21 (June 2011) has a close up picture of Marty's mandolin.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Another factor in the search for a good mandolin in the 70's was that a great many of the Loars that we know of today were still in the closet or with the original owners. Most of those were in the possession of people that had probably no knowledge of Bluegrass music or that Dad's old Gibson mandolin had any value to anyone, so they sat. I know one dealer from that time that would hunt photographs of old mandolin orchestras and try and connect names with photos of people holding their instruments. When he made a connection then he would start knocking on doors. He found quite a few great vintage instruments that way and a least a couple of Loars. The first Loar that I know of that was sold by a knowledgeable dealer sold for the shocking price of $2500 in, I think it was, 1971. I would think that that was all that it was worth at that time because the seller was very savvy to values at the time and wasn't big on giving deals. To put it into perspective as to what $2500 represented-- in that same year I bought 47 acres of land for $2500 and a store front building on the lower end of South Street Philadelphia for $8000! Granted the land was in West Virginia and South St was a little rough in those days but just the same.... A couple of years later I was hearing $5000 prices for a Loar. I corresponded with Stan Jay in 1979 about a Loar and the asking price was $7000. Within a couple of years that number had doubled and then went geometric after that to the $200,000 numbers that we see today. $650 that Marty paid for that mandolin was pretty much what you would pay for a high end new fretted instrument then. I had bought a d-28,one, of the last Brazilians, a couple of years before that brand new from Manny's in NYC for $600.
    There was a great deal of very good music by amateur and semi-professional bluegrass musicians produced on instruments that today we wouldn't think were worth consideration. Even if you had the money it was only a matter of luck to end up with a good mandolin.

Blog Entries

Bump!

I came across this video of Marty and his Chris Warner mandolin before Cash got to it with his knife I guess --nice picking too.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Daniel For This Useful Post:

Marty regularly plays Clarence White's Telecaster, and has a great appreciation for the music he plays as well as the ability to play it. Check out the Marty Stuart Show on the RFD network, Lots of mandolin, and great guests. He can play some hot stuff, but he also knows when to keep things simple, too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrbook View Post
    Marty regularly plays Clarence White's Telecaster, and has a great appreciation for the music he plays as well as the ability to play it. Check out the Marty Stuart Show on the RFD network, Lots of mandolin, and great guests. He can play some hot stuff, but he also knows when to keep things simple, too.
    Indeed. And right you are -- FYI many folks on this string have been watching Marty on RFDTV for four years already! It is an awesome show and pays tribute to traditional country music.
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Aug-09-2013 at 9:08pm.
    Bernie
    ____

Blog Entries

I just seen Marty Stuart at the Warren County Fair here in good ole' PA 2 nights ago,,and what a great show, His band is tight and Cuzz the tele man really is a fantastic picker also, Marty was just a ticklin his B-bender..It was a highlight to see Clarence Whites guitar in person and for a moment I thaught Clarence was on stage!
    Marty did a solo improve jam on his mando that was also great, I finally got to hear that in person and it does sound pretty good, love the carvings all over it, other than that solo that was the only time he picked up the mandolin, Neat..

Blog Entries

In the first video Marty starts laughing about something that I didn't catch. Whatever it was I was reminded that he has kept this easy going smile his whole life. I really enjoyed that thought and people who do that.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post
    In the first video Marty starts laughing about something that I didn't catch. Whatever it was I was reminded that he has kept this easy going smile his whole life. I really enjoyed that thought and people who do that.
    Marty Stuart smiles all the time because he's the baddest cat in the jungle, even though he never lets on he is.
    He has that internal contentedness that comes along with the mastery of something.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Saw Marty and the Fabulous Superlatives at the Ossipee Valley Music Festival two weeks ago. Best live show I've seen in a long time.The John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band opened the night with a great set of trad. and contemporary b.g. the one and only Herb Pederson on banjo and tenor, Jon Randal on guitar and vocals Mark Fain on bass and of course John Jorgenson on guitar and mando. Harmonies like the Osborne Bros. Della Mae up next hot picking and tight harmony vocals, great stage presence too. Then the man, Marty Stuart, took over. He's so at ease on stage, telling stories, joking with the band, he had the crowd smiling and clapping for almost two hours .Oh yeah he picked that old mandolin like few others can. Kind of a bluesy, but melodic style every note meant something. Just an incredible show, all four guys can sing and know how to sing together. The gospel quartets were powerfully moving. Don't miss this band.

22. The following members say thank you to jaymichael for this post:

[QUOTE=bluegrasser78;1190912]I just seen Marty Stuart at the Warren County Fair here in good ole' PA 2 nights ago,,and what a great show, His band is tight and Cuzz the tele man really is a fantastic picker also, Marty was just a ticklin his B-bender..It was a highlight to see Clarence Whites guitar in person and for a moment I thaught Clarence was on stage! "

A few months back Marty had Roger McGuinn as guest on his RFD show. They did Ole Blue, Pretty Boy Floyd and Turn,Turn,Turn in true Byrds fashion with the head Byrd leading the pack backed up by Clarence's B-bender with someone who knows how to get the Clarence White Byrds sound. If Roger McGuinn wants to put the CW Byrds back on the road again he only needs to hire Marty & the Superlitives and maybe add JD Mannes on steel guitar and Gene Parsons on drums/banjo. Okay maybe add a few others to go on the tour like Chris Hillman to chop mandolin, David Crosby to just stand there and sing harmonies and John York on bass. The Byrds will celebrate their 50th next year so what a tour that would be. I mean if the Rolling Stones can dig up Mitch Taylor for their 50th tour, anything is possible.

24. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Jim 

Tom, that's a tour I'd love to see.
    ..... f5joe

Me too! The rockers were shocked by Sweetheart of the Rodeo. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

I'd pay big bucks to see it too! BTIM I saw McGuinn solo 2 months ago, and then saw CSN a month ago and this Sunday I see Chris Hillman (with Herb Pederson). So I know these guys are still doing it better than ever.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

[QUOTE=f5loar;1191501]
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    I just seen Marty Stuart at the Warren County Fair here in good ole' PA 2 nights ago,,and what a great show, His band is tight and Cuzz the tele man really is a fantastic picker also, Marty was just a ticklin his B-bender..It was a highlight to see Clarence Whites guitar in person and for a moment I thaught Clarence was on stage! "

A few months back Marty had Roger McGuinn as guest on his RFD show. They did Ole Blue, Pretty Boy Floyd and Turn,Turn,Turn in true Byrds fashion with the head Byrd leading the pack backed up by Clarence's B-bender with someone who knows how to get the Clarence White Byrds sound. If Roger McGuinn wants to put the CW Byrds back on the road again he only needs to hire Marty & the Superlitives and maybe add JD Mannes on steel guitar and Gene Parsons on drums/banjo. Okay maybe add a few others to go on the tour like Chris Hillman to chop mandolin, David Crosby to just stand there and sing harmonies and John York on bass. The Byrds will celebrate their 50th next year so what a tour that would be. I mean if the Rolling Stones can dig up Mitch Taylor for their 50th tour, anything is possible.
    Similar type show, here in Poway (North County San Diego)
    http://www.powayarts.org/show-roger-...uart-2013.html
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

That's good to hear they are doing that, but being a 6000 mile trip for me I'll have to pass on this one. Seems they are only doing that one show which is strange for those two acts to get together. Not hardly worth the rehearsal time to put together one show.