Thread: Notation question in canarios

I sort of read music, meaning that I read music slowly and with great effort. I found sheet music to "Canarios" by Gaspar Sanz. There are these double Xs sort of like Xs that are out of focus over certain notes. I was wondering if some one could tell me what they mean. They don't really seem to have a pattern, some measures have none, but some measures have two.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

Is this an arrangement for mandolin?

Who is it by?

No, I am almost certain it is for guitar. #There are numerical finger notations that I think would make sense for a guitar, but are wrong for mandolin. #The aranger is listed as Jean-Francois Delcamp. #Here uis a like to were I found it. #I hope that will help.
    Canarios

Coincidently, I just found this solo version of Canarios for mandolin.
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=94556
    Mark Levesque and Judy Handler
    International and Classical Music
    http://www.judyandmark.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acousticblend
    The New American Mandolin Ensemble on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4L...uROoOXFj6GVSg/

The X's are markings for ornaments in the original score (of 1697; I am looking at the Minkoff reprint of 1976). The ornament in question is a "temblor" which I believe (my Spanish being non-existent) is a heavy sort of vibrato that is used in baroque guitar, i.e., one shakes the neck of the guitar (more or less) with the left hand. I don't think it would have much relevance for mandolin.
    Robert A. Margo

This (vibrato) is the interpretation of the sign given by James Tyler in his book The Early Guitar (Oxford, 1980), pp. 97f. It seems to have been a common sign in guitar tablature. Corbetta called it "tremolo sforzato", Corrette "plainte". Probably more the former than the latter here in Canarios.

BC

"This (vibrato) is the interpretation of the sign given by James Tyler in his book The Early Guitar (Oxford, 1980), pp. 97f."

Yes, that's true, but my refernce is to the original source, i.e. Sanz.
    Robert A. Margo

Sorry if feathers were ruffled there, Robert. From your post above, it sounded as though Sanz gave the ornament the name temblor, but without explaining what exactly he meant. Tyler quotes explanations from various sources confirming your interpretation. As you say, not much relevance for mandolin.

BC

Thanks, I just had never seen that before (not that I read at a lot of baroque guitar). I would have rather had a violin arrangement, but I couldn't find one. I heard Chatham Baroque play this piece with violins so I know it must exist. I couldn't read Mark's arrangement for mandolin, but thats probably just my computer. On a related note, there is a version of this for Guitar on YouTube that is absolutely jawdropping, at least to me.

"On a related note, there is a version of this for Guitar on YouTube that is absolutely jawdropping, at least to me."

To which youtube performance are you referring? There is an extremely fast (too fast), flamenoish performance by Angel Romero. I personally prefer Jose Miguel Moreno on baroque guitar, a very fine artist.
    Robert A. Margo

I was referring to the Romero performance. #It is faster than other versions I have heard, (I have John Williams version on my iPod, so that is the rendition I am most familiar with)and generally I like things played slightly slowly, with a bit of lilt. #I think nearly all ITM is played too fast, but that is another topic for another section of the boards. #There is a slightly slower Romero version on iTunes, but I used the term jawdropping purposefully. #I think the Romero YouTube version is just that. #My ears just went wow. #Is his slower version more tasteful, perhaps, but I was truly astonished by the YouTube performance. #BTW, I listened to Jose Miguel Moreno's version and thought it was great. #He has a sort of "waterdrop" tone that I really love. #Its a tone I have tried (unsuccessfully) to copy.