Thread: Beethoven string trios

I'm sure that some of these trios must be arranged and recorded for mandos, but I can't seem to come across any in my searches. I keep finding CDs that have some of the trios played in their original instrumentation paired with the mandolin sonatinas.

Any suggestions?

Sorry, I've never heard of such an arrangement/recording. #However, there is a fair amount of interesting music of that era that was written for mandolin and is worth considering. #A tiny sample:

Aonzo, Carlo & Sandro Volta. 1998. Paganini: Integrale per amandorlino & chitarra Francese. Arion, ARN 68420.
    #(The 3-movement solo, the two works for mandolin and guitar, an arrangement of the Duetto Amoroso, and a handful of guitar solos.)

Galfetti, Duilio & Diego Fasolis. 2000. Mandolin & Fortepiano. Arts Music, 47610-2.
    #(The four bits by Beethoven, the Hummel sonata, and two Hoffmann sonatas.)

Lichtenberg, Caterina et al. 1997. Musikinstrumente des Ferdinandeums 4: Johann Georg Psenner (1747-nach 1798) Mandoline-Innsbruck 1775. Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck.
    #(The four bits by Beethoven, the Mozart songs, and two sets of variations by von Call.)

Quatuor Plectr'Archi. 1990. Giuliani & Hoffmann: Quartets for violin, viola, mandolin & lute. Pavane Records, ADW 7224.
    #(Three by Giuliani--no, not "the" Giuliani, but one of several others--and two by Hoffmann.)

Stephens, Alison w/ London Mozart Players, Howard Shelley, cond. 2001. Hummel: Mandolin Concerto, Trumpet Concerto, Freudenfest Overture, and Ballet Music for 'Das Zauberglochen'. Chandos, CHAN 9925.
    #(Exactly as the bulky title implies.)

Walz, Richard & Viviana Sofronitzki. 1998. Mandolin & Fortepiano. Globe, GLO 5187.
    #(Three of the bits by Beethoven, the Hummel sonata, and a cool sonata by Neuling.)

It is certainly possible that some ensemble played the string trios ca. early 1900s as Beethoven quartets were played by mandolin quartets. But I agree with Eugene, no arrangements or recordings that I am aware of.
    Robert A. Margo

Thanks guys, and thanks Eugene for the discography - that will fill in some blanks in my collection. It's odd though, that the string trios haven't been recorded in arragements for mandos. They seem so well suited to it, and let's be honest, the four "bits" by Beethoven, as you call them, are just that: bits. It's unfortunate that he didn't compose something more substantial for the instrument.

Of course, the variations are a relatively sizeable bit of mandolinning. #On the other Beethoven mandolin bits, I think there are a couple ways to group them into a seemingly more substantial performance unit. #The c-minor and C-major Sonatinas work as a nice pair and sort of ape the so-called "Italian" sonata form of the period (like a great many Paganini sonatas; various sonatas and other works by Gragnani, Carulli, etc.; the Lhoyer and famous Carulli concertos; etc.) in comprising a stately first movement followed by a brisk second, and the C major has a nice sense of resolution to the minor. #Grouping them as I. c-minor Sonatina-II. E-flat Adagio-III. C-major Sonatina also works nicely in aping the more-familiar three-movement sonata with slow middle movement. #Of course, E-flat conveniently is the relative major to c minor and the whole still resolves nicely to C major in reference back to opening the set on c minor.