Thread: Optimal mandola scale length

This is Deja Vu, I lost all my notes about Mandola scale length. I'm preparing some plans, and find there is no accepted scale length, but that the vintage Gibson's 15.25? is considered too short, so I'm looking for advice on a longer length to try.

Lawrence Smart uses 16".
    Steve Davis

I should really be practicing instead of sitting in front of the computer.

Otoh, Gilchrist has used 17". Manufacturers currently seem to be using 17". I use whatever the customer wants. My personal preference is for the 16" scale length. The ones I have made with a 16" scale length have seemed to give up nothing in volume. They have warmth, and of course, playability. Further, they don't sound "thuddy". Some claim "thuddiness" as a characteristic of short scales. Back to the other hand, I have played some mandolas with a 17" scale length that sounded good, and yet maintained some playability. They did seem to sound a bit "thumpy", a bit toward what an f-hole mandolin sounds like. Bottom line: Scale length in mandolas seems to be an open book that depends a great deal on the player.

7000 ft up in the High Sierra east of Porterville.

My Pomeroy is 16" and has wonderful tone and sustain. It certainly has NO "thuddy" sound and I can not imagine, with my medium sized hands, stretching any more to accommodate a longer scale without losing ease of play. If I had real long fingers like Chris Thile, a 17" scale length might have been a consideration.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by (Steve Davis @ Aug. 09 2007, 09:42)
    Lawrence Smart uses 16".
    Lawrence has built mandolas with different scale lengths over the years, but his preferred length these days is 16 3/8, for both F and A styles. His web site is a bit out of date in that regard.

I have an A style (with f holes) using that scale length. It's very playable, while giving up nothing in terms of the rich, alto voice that a mandola should ideally have. Nothing "pinched" or "thuddy" or "mandolin-like" about it. By the way, I'm using Ted's flatwound jazzmando strings on it, and they're just about perfect--much easier to play than D'Addarios, and with none of the jangly-ness.

My mandola has the same specs as the ones Lawrence built for Mike Marshall and Chris Thile, so if you like the sound they get from their mandolas....keep practicing.
    "Few noises are so disagreeable as the sound of the picking of a mandolin."

Thanks, guys, I'm leaning to about 16.25" but I'll let this one run a while till I cut a fret slot (lay the lines in, actually).

I chose 16.5 for my Spira. Have not regretted it and would do the same again, but if I were to go one way or the other, I'd go smaller.

The scale length chosen should determine the string gauges. Shorter the scale the larger the strings and more fundamental tone. Longer scales benefit from lighter strings which provide a more complex tone. It rather depends on your hands and ability as to how long a scale you can manage.

Thanks, Michael, and others. The player is going for celtic and classical, and is a cello player now, so now I'm considering a longer scale, 17"

Default Re: Optimal mandola scale length

Hi David,
    I'm building a CGAD mandola and I'd like to know how yours turned out with the 17' scale length. Any recommendations? I play mandocello and upright bass, so a larger length won't be a physical problem. I'm concerned with tone. I will be using the Thomastik alto-mandoline strings.

Thanx!
    Mark Brown

Wow, 4 year thread drag up!

Hi Mark.
    I built 2, and both owners were very satisfied with the Mandolas.
    I can't remember the strings, but they were the readily-available brand.

Go to the end (almost) of this thread to hear a 17" scale mandola.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...hlight=hamlett

I've been waiting patiently for John to provide info on his more recent mandolas, but apparently I wasn't watching closely enough.

I'm going to chime in here and point to Daniel Carwhile's demo for John Hamlett's induced-arch mandola made in 2007. I thought it would make another reference point for interested readers. It is also a 17" scale mandola, commissioned by a cafe member. Post #39, trying to link directly:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...l=1#post414543
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.