Thread: What's this mando worth?

Hi Folks,

A lady in my building saw me carrying my mando the other day and mentioned that her father used to play one and she still had it. # We were wondering what it might be worth if her intent was to sell it.

The lady is 80 years old and remembers this mando since childhood, so it's at least 80. # She is not sure how long her father had it before she was born. #It could be as old as 100 or older.

I did not see any indication of a manufacturer's name anywhere. #The headstock had apparently broken at some point and been glued back together. #The bridge is off but she still has it. #The tuning pegs can move.

Here are pics:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums....ose.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums....ock.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../mandoback.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../mandotail.jpg

Is this instrument worth anything as an instrument or as an antique? #And if the owner decides to sell it, what should she try to ask for it. #I realize many of you have said that something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, but since I don't really know much about mandos, especially old ones, I have no clue as to even where to start.

Thanks for any help, information, or advice you can provide.
    Mando Lynn (aka: Tillmanator)

Not worth a whole bundle, but if the headstock repair actually holds (looks pretty ugly) it's at least usable. String it with extra light strings (GHS makes a set suitable for bowlbacks; most anything else you put on it will finish destroying it) and see if the action is decent. If so, it's maybe worth 100-200 dollars. If the action is unplayable, the cost of repair would far exceed tha value of the instrument, assuming you could find someone qualified to repair it. Not many folks know much about bowlbacks.

Looks exactly like my Victoria B&J bowlback, which I inherited. Mine has a price of $275 written on the label in India ink, but given its vintage (early 20th century), that was probably a "MSRP" from which the seller could discount.

I concur in Bob's general estimate of market price. If the headstock repair's stable, it would benefit from some cosmetic work.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

An overlay on the front (and rear) of the headstock can strengthen a headstock crack like the one illustrated. Be careful not to make it too thick or the tuner posts will not be long enough.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

100-200 is way over what that is worth. Maybe with iut the cracked headstock. With it the price approaches nothing. Nah, I would say maybe $50 tops as is. There are many possible other problems. Many of these have sunken tops or, even worse, need neck resets in order to make playable.

The upside is that it seems to not have any cracks but that may be because the headstock was cracked and the owner played it rarely or tuned it way down.

In any case, nothing too special. I think you can do much better if you want a bowlback. There are lots in better shape out there.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Violins and Mandolins Stephanie Reiser's Avatar

Reminds me of something that had happened to me: An 83 year old aunt of mine, who had heard I was interested in mandolins, said she still has her father's old mando. And she thought she would bring it over last Thanksgiving and GIVE it to me. I'm thinking that it could be 80 years old or more. It could be an old Gibson. Could even be a Loar! Well, she arrived. I was hoping she'd walk into the house with a black rectangular case. Instead, as I anxiously peaked out the kitchen window, she was carrying a large paper bag. Ugh! It turned out to be a bowlback nearly indentical to yours, except a 12-string, with no label or any other identification. It hung from the wall for awhile, but now I think it's in the study on a shelf somewhere.
    http://www.stephaniereiser.com then click mandolins

Stephanie:
    Take a look at the pickguard on that 12 string. Does it have a circular decorative thinger in the middle (like the photo below). If you look closely it spells OS which is for Oscar Schmidt. OS made tons of these 12 string bowlbacks and I would say almost 90% of those that appear on that auction site are Oscar Schmidts.

Of course other companies made 12 strings. I have even seen a Gibson 12 string.

If I had one of those I would just string it with 8 strings or else use some octave tuning on the lower courses.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OS12_body.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	25881  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

would make a cool wall hanger.

Unfortunately usually people who don't know a lot about instruments generally think that if an instrument is old it therefore is very valuable.

As most of us know this is not always the case. If the mandolin has good memories for the lady I don't think I would spoil them for her by telling her that "taterbug" mandolin with a broken headstock is not very valuable. I'd probably tell her "Oh my God I could afford your old and valuable mandolin!" LOL!

Hi, I am brand new to the cafe. I have a similar one; all the parts are intact, slight bow in the neck, a couple of repaired top cracks and a really cool Italian scene painted/overlaid on the top. It is playable. But it makes a much better wall hanger.
    Thanks for your support?