Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fisher's hornpipe

It looks like Fisher's hornpipe is going to win the poll. This is a very neat tune I've always wanted to learn well.
    Mandoanon has posted a beginner's version at the Yahoo site that is very nice (thank you Mandoanon, you're a hero!) and there are other great versions at the Tabledit site for the more advanced players. I guess Craig or someone helping out will post them at the MP main page later.

Where did all the tunes go from the Yahoo site? I don't see them on the MP site either! There were some Cattle recordings and some misc musings too.

I noticed yesterday there were still some links in the files upload page. I clicked on one, 'Soldiers Joy', and got a server busy error and file not found. I went back today and now the file links are not even there. Don't know what happened.

mandonoan--that's a great beginner's version of Fisher's! I like how you started with a very easy version of each part, then had a slightly more difficult version rather than just a repeat. Well done!

And yeah, where did all the recordings go...? They aren't at the MP page yet.

Yeah, that happened to me too. I know that happens at Yahoo when too many people at the same time try to download a file. Can it be that if the storage space is used up, Yahoo deletes some files? I'm not sure. Sounds strange though.

I also loved the way the beginner version was built up, that it increases the difficulty instead of repeating. Lovely! Great job, Mandoanon.

Ok, I just read on the other thread that the recordings are not gone - Craig will post them at the main page really soon. That's great to know.

Hello - I am a new user and relly glad I found this site. I really like this project idea and hope to able to work out the songs and join in the fun.

I play the guitar but just recently purchased a mandolin and have been looking for a way to improve my skills.

When is the voting done and the song officially picked?
    ===========================================

StingerT125

stinger,

thanks for the interest and welcome to the mandolin world! we'd love to hear something on your guitar, too.

here are the two web-sites you need:

Yahoo!Groups site

and

Mandolin Project mainpage

send me an e-mail if you have any further questions

craig

Josh Pinkham is a relative beginner having only played a few years. I hear he has a "beginner" version on his website....
    Alan

Craig

Thanks for the welcome.

I found a midi file of Turky In The Straw for mandolin on the web that had some great licks in it (it was listed as by Peters). I learned it on the guitar and my version is here:

Zoom Songs

That really got me interested in the mandolin, so I got a beginner model to see if I could pick it up. I've only had it for less than a month but I really like it. I know this site will be a great resource.

Thanks again

StingerT125

Registered User Chris "Bucket" Thomas's Avatar

OK.

After lurking on the sidelines for several months, I have mustered the courage to be an active participant for June.

I voted for "Cluck Old Hen."

How do you record this stuff....... ?

Chris
    Chris

2007 Gibson F5-L Fern
    1919 Gibson A-0
    2019 Black A4
    BlueRidge BR140
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristopherSThomas
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188214780

Welcome Chris,
    If you're like me, participating in the project will be great fun and motivation. And you'll learn a lot too!

You'll want to get audacity for recording if you don't have something else. I think it's free. There's lots of information on this board about it. Just do a search.
    Don

I just found a site called Virtual Grammaphone has a recording from 1930 of Joseph Allard, violon avec guitare
    Title: #Gigue double = Double jig / Anonyme #
    Generic Label: #Victor
    If this is not Fisher's Hornpipe I'll post a Jig File.

Virtual Gramaphone

Really neat! But that's no jig - as far as I can hear it's in 4/4 timing.

Fisher's Hornpipe won without the rally cry from teh past two months. I guess this is the sympathy vote? (I'm having a hard time with CITC for the moment....then I will get to work on Fisher's.
    Alan

I'm also still working on CITC. I think I have a chance to learn it now. I play Kelly's version, I was very much helped by the version Craig posted with some fiddler on the main page.
    I'm going to start working on Fisher's hornpipe anyway. I don't want to get too behind. I can post CITC later. I have a very nice version of Fisher's in the mandolin picker's fakebook.

wow, i started trying FH last night and really enjoy the tune. There are definitley some challenges for me in the version I tried (Legere). Triplets etc.... I kind of nailed em last night at a moderately slow tempo, but cannot imagine playing the triplets when i'm up to MY top speed on the 'regular' stuff.

Anyone else have trouble with triplets? (especially when they are sprinkled in amidst the eighth notes?)
    Alan

While not exactly without sin, I guess I have cast the first stone in the "Fisher's HP" ring. I have heard my Pa play this tune numerous times and have noodled along in key, but never really learned it until the last few days...I didn't even know there was a C part, which is why mine sucks.

But, in keeping with my tradition of going with the first recording, you get to hear the trainwreck.

Mebbe it is just me, but does anyone else find themselves speeding up on this tune? It just seems to sound better revved up...

Quote Originally Posted by (levin4now @ June 02 2004, 14:19)
    Anyone else have trouble with triplets? #(especially when they are sprinkled in amidst the eighth notes?)
    Oh yes, oh yes. I am learning them but I always tend to speed them too much, so I get lost in the timing. I have a good number of Irish tunes in which I practice triplets, and they certainly are a challenge.

Great job, Smolt!!! I agree this tune is nice with some speed. I don't think you speed up too much, it's nice. I like the way you do it when you play the first notes slowly and then speed up, I always like changes like that!

Yeah Gatineau (love that name pronounced with a sterotypical French accent).

Great job on Fisher's and E.TN."Bruise". both Beautfiful. still waiting for said train wreck on Fisher's - as are many of us! (I'm still climbing out my own unrecorded train wrecks daily.
    Alan

I am not seeing tab (or any files) for Fishers 'pipe. Is this posted yet ??

I learned only two parts, can we post only those parts? #Or maybe I should learn the 'C' part. #Posting to come soon! #Hug a nurse!!! Where!! When!! Congrats tjej!! Dan

Play em like you know em!

Craig has been quite busy so the tab for Fisher's isn't on the main page yet. The beginner version of the tune is in the files section in the Yahoo group.
    For the more advanced pickers there are lots of cool versions at the Co-mando site.

I've never seen any C part of this tune. Usually it has only two parts, but there are different versions of it, of course, and some probably have C parts.

Thanks Dan! Last weekend before work now...I start my new job on Monday.

Ive just uploaded my version of Fishers Hornpipe. 3 tracks - mando, rhythm guitar and lead guitar. Them damn triplets... hope you like it.

Very nice, Cam! As always I'm impressed by the sound quality of your recordings. What stuff are you using (in language for someone who doesn't know anything about things like these)? What kind of mic? What software?