Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank wakefield

Has anyone seen Frank Wakefield perform recently and what are their thoughts on the performance?
    Pickin' In The Pasture
    world-class bluegrass
    August 21, 22, 23, and 24, 2008
    Lodi, NY
    www.pickininthepasture.com

Hi Andy

Frank is still performing, on a semi basis, does more lessons and workshops though. The answer to your question is yes and he's still having fun and is sounding as good as ever. Just picked up new band for east/northeast gigs. In NY nov 3 Saratoga and Nov 16 in Hartford Ct more dates follow. He's also doing Wolf Mt. Bluegrass Festival in Grass Valley CA in October. Pickin in Pasture be a nice addidtion for he for next summer.
    Peace,

Brad
    BRAD

I play he's still thinking.

Saw him in VA a couple of years ago with Jim Moss. Still fun.
    /* no comment */

come to think of it I haven't heard of Frank playing anywhere for a while now. I hope he is doing well.

To me Frank Wakefield is kinda like Bob Dylan or Neil Young music in that it is an acquired taste. You either love it or you don't (I do) but there one thing no one can't deny. There isn't anyone who is in the lime light who is more friendly or approachable that Frank Wakefield.
    What a tremendous person always willing to share with a young person. A true icon.

Quote Originally Posted by (blawson @ Aug. 30 2007, 08:40)
    I play he's still thinking.
    oops you guys posted the same second I did! I'm glad he's still playing

I saw him in July in Albany, NY. It was great, he'd play all night if they let him (seriously). He kept asking the theatre personnel if he had time to play one more tune. Also, his in between songs chatting with the audience is a riot.

My favorite part, his banjo player was having trouble getting in tune it seemed, so Frank says "that's the thing with mandolins...when they're out of tune it just sounds like there's more of 'em"

If you have the opportunity to see him, do it, you won't be sorry.

That's right -- Frank is doing very well and playing in top form.

the gig in Saratoga is at the Parting Glass. The one in Connecticut is with the Randy Kohrs Band and I think is put on by the guy who puts on the Podunk Bluegrass Festival.

Man Is Da Frank!

Hey all

btw Craichead is Frank's acoustic rthymn guitarist. He along with the rest of the band sounded great at Frank's stop at the Parting Glass this past October. Frank would play all night if let him 2 sets over 2hrs closer to 3. Don't know what they will do in E. Hartford being other band there... if they let um this could go into wee hours of am

Brad
    BRAD

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I didn't see him a few years ago and it wasn't too good. I really had a bad time with alot of ornery friends.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

He won't be teaching at the Monroe Camp and I'm happy about that!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by (pabear @ Aug. 30 2007, 13:47)
    Hey all

btw Craichead is Frank's acoustic rthymn guitarist. He along with the rest of the band sounded great at Frank's stop at the Parting Glass this past October. Frank would play all night if let him 2 sets over 2hrs closer to 3. Don't know what they will do in E. Hartford being other band there... if they let um this could go into wee hours of am

Brad
    I was trying not to brag, but since you outed me I'll add that I do play some lead too.

And yeah, Frank would play forever if you let him. At the Linda Norris Auditorium in Albany back in June, we were supposed to play an hour and 15 minutes. Frank went two and a half hours.

Last April at the Parting Glass was two 90 minute sets.

Quote Originally Posted by (jim_n_virginia @ Aug. 30 2007, 14:42)
    To me Frank Wakefield is kinda like Bob Dylan or Neil Young music in that it is an acquired taste.
    True dat - it took me a while to discover the genius of his playing. Now I can't get enough of it - I think he's one of the most creative musicians on the planet IMHO.
    Milan

sorry dates wrong was on april 20th a great show at parting glass debut of the new members in Frank's band

can't wait til the nov shows ; Frank's been practicing

hope to give him a lesson before then
    BRAD

I kept hearing about Frank, so I bought one of his C.D's. I wasn't really impressed, nothing there that caught my ear. It wasn't bad, just average. But I kept hearing others saying how great he is. Matt Flinner told his class at Augusta Heritage Center to check out Frank's playing. So I'm going to give him another listen. I was in a bad mood the day I first listened to his c.d. He sounds like a great guy.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

Registered User Chris "Bucket" Thomas's Avatar

I also saw him in Richmond, VA. #It was great!

I recommend "The Kitchen Tapes" and "Red Allen & FranK Wakefield -The Folkway Years".

I also am very glad Wakefield Frank won't be at the Monroe Camp. #And I have no intention of going to the Station Inn the night before either. #

Chris

2007 Gibson F5-L Fern
    1919 Gibson A-0
    2019 Black A4
    BlueRidge BR140
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristopherSThomas
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188214780

Phil,

Frank has been my teacher for last 2 yrs and friend and i too am very grateful. A generous soul with a whole lot of knowledge... can't think of anyone to teach me bluegrass like him.
    BRAD

Thanks for everyone's input on Frank Wakefield. We are considering having Frank at Pickin' In The Pasture in 2008. Your posts about Frank are helping to make this decision.

Hey Phil, I am not holding my breath about you showing up here since you live only 1/2 hour away and missed performances and workshops by Jesse McReynolds this year, Danny Roberts last year, and Alan Bibey the year before that..... Surprise me!
    Pickin' In The Pasture
    world-class bluegrass
    Lodi, NY

I have very fond memories of catching Frank in the Saratoga taverns in the 70's. He would jam with anyone and all.

Quote Originally Posted by (Gutbucket @ Aug. 30 2007, 16:47)
    I kept hearing about Frank, so I bought one of his C.D's. I wasn't really impressed, nothing there that caught my ear. It wasn't bad, just average. But I kept hearing others saying how great he is. Matt Flinner told his class at Augusta Heritage Center to check out Frank's playing. So I'm going to give him another listen. I was in a bad mood the day I first listened to his c.d. He sounds like a great guy.
    I'd say there are two Frank Wakefield's when it comes to his playing:

One is the Frank that reaches back and pulls out some of the most uncanny Bill Monroe style around. For me, it's as close as a guy can get in this lifetime to actually backing up Bill.

The second is the Frank who plays like Frank. He doesn't just play like a typical hot picker -- he really formulates an idea and then develops it from start to finish.

Hey Pasture picker, hopefully you can still book Seneca County next year. After thier IBMA showcase the price will go through the roof!
    I know a couple of those guys, I'll put in a good word for you.
    Thier mandolin player is awesome....

I liked the trio format the band used at their most recent Freight & Salvage gig.
    The extra space in the sound made for a more intimate sound, left room for everyone,
    especially Frank.

I was sad to see him perform so bad, after him being healthy and all, earlier in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by (johnnymando @ Aug. 31 2007, 16:23)
    Hey Pasture picker, hopefully you can still book Seneca County next year. After thier IBMA showcase the price will go through the roof!
    I know a couple of those guys, I'll put in a good word for you.
    Thier mandolin player is awesome....
    Hey Johnny Mando,

Seneca County will most likely be back next year. We received a lot of good comments about their performance at Pickin' In The Pasture. They are doing a show with The Abrams Brothers in Marcellus NY on Oct 20th. I'm planning on going. Put it on your calendar. I hope to see you there. It should be a good time. You are right, the mando player is really good.
    Pickin' In The Pasture
    world-class bluegrass
    Lodi, NY

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

"I didn't even know Jesse was playing there until last Friday night" ... were you hiding under a rock? This was well-publicized with folders all over Ithaca in the usual places (Ithaca Guitar Works a.o.). What a great workshop! I reviewed it in another thread right afterwards (search for Lodi). The mando player for Seneca County is John Denniston, yes he's good.

Somehow I don't see Grisman as being a Pickin in the Pasture type. Wakefield, being an adopted upstate New Yorker, would be an interesting choice.

Actually, I posted about Jesse McReynolds on this site a couple of weeks ago in addtion to articles and ads that appeared in The Ithaca Journal, The Ithaca Times, and The Ithaca PennySaver.
    Pickin' In The Pasture
    world-class bluegrass
    Lodi, NY