Thread: Gibson bill monroe signature f-5

Nothing at all like a real 1923 Loar... these mandolins were not really up to the current Gibson MM specs. I've never played one that has impressed me as much as say... a Gibson DMM or a Collings MF5 Varnish. Hell, you can buy an outrageous looking Ellis at Carmel Music for under $12K... I'd pass on the Monroe...

The newer Gibson mandolins are much closer in spec to Loar period mandolins than the Monroe models.

I have played quite a few of the Monroe models and a few were pretty good. #I own a DMM had a MM and a recent Fern and I think there is a pretty big difference between the Monroe model and the Gibsons from 2001-2005. #If it is a Gibson that you want, I would personally go that route (Fern or a MM) if I were spending that kind of money. #As mentioned there are several superb non-Gibson choices out there in that price range that I would choose over the Monroe.

It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

The Monroe mandolin was a great mandolin...when they were built. There were not many available at the time, and it was an improvement from the standard F5L. It is not what the MM or DMM are and cannot be due to the issues mentioned above (bolt on neck, body graduations, etc.). It also was available with a spirit varnish or lacquer finish where the current MM or DMM is available in oil varnish/french polish. They are not bad mandolins by an means, but not the same as many of the mandolins available today by Gibson or many others. For what the Monroe's sell for you could certainly do better in my opinion.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I've played a couple of them, personally none of them DMM or Sam's interested me. Have you played any of the MF5 or MF5V Collings?? What about Sim Daley F5's??? Those mandolins will peel paint off the wall and pound Gibson F's.:laugh:
    The joy is in the journey!

When I played the Monroe the only thing that I could say was (gee) it had a Bill Monroe signature. The Ferns, for me were a better value for the sound quality.

So there you have it Serge... move on from the Monroe! Plenty of great mandos out there for that kind of money... or a lot less!

I have a friend that has a Monroe signed F-5. I have had the pleasure of playing both it and his early Gilchrist. The Monroe is a beautiful instrument that he has in one of those snazzy square cases. The Gil looks like it went through a war and has a not very exceptional case. As far as tone, the Gil leave the Monroe in the the dust. I would put the Gil in the class of Joe's DMM and I would put the Monroe in the class of neither. The Monroe is a nice instrument, but... to me at that price range, there are a number of other stronger instruments. Take in mind that this opinion was based on one Monroe.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

there is a monroe model id give whatever he wanted for it if i had the money and hed sell it....#101 ......absolute mandolin...mr

I'm sure there's a lot of variation between instruments, and I'll bow to Big Joe's knowledge, but last week at the Monroe Mandolin Camp I played a bunch of Gibsons, a Gilchrist, and various others. A Gibson Monroe numbered around 90 owned by a physician from Bismarck, ND was for my money (not that I could afford one) the finest mandolin I played there. No, it didn't sound at all like a Loar, but the tone and volume leaped out and were very beautiful. So I'd say, play it first, and if you are wowed, go for it.

#125 is a good one. I'm showing it to a freind for a freind. If interested PM me.

I would beg to differ with several of the previous opinions, esteemed as their authors may be. I have had a couple Monroe Models, and both were very nice sounding mandolins. I have one now that sounds better than any Fern, or Master Model hat I have compared it with. They do have a bolt on neck, they may not be to the same spec that the DMM model is, but they were built under Carlsons supervision and the quality of workmanship that I have seen on them has been superior to the new Master Models I have seen. Quite frankly I have not been at all impressed with the Gibson line from Master Model on, very uneven output at best. I would say, you better try it, it may be a great mandolin. Just my opinion as we all say.

You never know for sure until you play that thing. No matter what flavor of mandolin it is. Right? I have a friend that just got one of those high dollar MF5 Collins and I got to play it some and when I played my Goldrush later (ofcourse I didn't tell him) IMHO the Gibson knocked the socks off of it.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

I have played some Monroes that I liked and some I didn't. But it goes with every other type of mandolin I've ever played before as well. No two mandolins ever sound exactly alike. And set up is always the key....EVERY mandolin can sound better with great set up. And you get a good Monroe, with a good set up, not only will you have a good mandolin, but a great collectors item.

Well there you have it....some good Monroes are out there while many are not so special. But then that is the way it was during this time at Gibson. I've played F5Ls from this era that were just great and at least with the F5L you got the pickguard thrown in for free! The Monroes do not have pickguards. Not sure why since Monroe's Loar did come with one when he bought it. But if it's the cool Monroe signature inside the mandolin that you seek I have plenty of authentic Monroe signed cancelled checks to sell at $75.
    You can buy the mandolin of your choice and then get one of these checks and cut out the signature on the check and glue it to the back of your mandolin through the F hole. Presto! Instant Signed Monroe Model! And PS to Evan: You've played my Monroe model, although it was signed by someone else and it's pretty fine!

Yeah, that 'Bill Monroe' truss-rod cover fools them every time, so they never look any further!
    And that could be considered a very close Monroe Model!

It may be a quality instrument - at the price it should be!

Probably the best way is to play it, play other quality instruments at a price which interests you, even listen to other people playing those actual instruments so you can listen 'from the front' then buy the one you like.

That is unless you are mainly interested in an investment and not an instrument to play. That creates a whole new scenario!
    Peter