Thread: Help me choose

Hello.

I am new here, but I already understand what MAS is about, and I have it bad. #Please pardon the length of this post.

I have an Epiphone BG440 that I have had for years--2 points, nice looking little "A" style. #I'm really a guitar player, and except for a couple of chords, and one song, it has remained in the case, pretty much unplayed since I got it in 1978. #

Suddenly however I am playing it (or playing at it) all the time, learning the scales, and actually making some progress. #Doing better with mandolin tabs than I ever did with guitar, and even some theory seems to be making better sense. #I'm not all the way to being what I'd call a mandolin player yet, but I do think I am going to get there. #

All that said, I really do want to get a nice mandolin to continue this journey. #I have looked at some Michael Kellys and Morgan Monroes, and some Eastmans. #At this point I'm thinking that an Eastman 615 is the one for me. #With all that said, here is where I'd like some advice:

1 - Radiused fretboard. #Seems a good idea. #Pros & cons?

2 - If I do go with Eastman, is there a big difference between a 515 and a 615 in sound, playability, etc.?

3 - There aren't that many mandolin shops where I live, so I'm probably not exposed to everything that's available. #Is there something that I am overlooking? #

I love the time I've spent at the cafe, and thank all of you who post. #I enjoy all the ideas and the exchange of info, and if you have any words of wisdom for me, I thank you.

Dave
    If you always do what you always did,
    you always get what you always got.

How much money do you have to spend?
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

I started out with a 615. Honestly you need to pay some 515's and some 615's. My 615 sounded better than the 815's that the shop had. The basic difference I'm seeing on Eastman's is the trim level and the figure of the wood. Neither of those affect playablility or sound. If I recall the radius on the Eastman fretboard is very mild.

For imported mandolins you could look at the new Kentucky KM-1000 and the new Chinese Flatiron's as well.

If it was me I'd be looking at used Gibson A-9 or Flatiron A style mandolins that were made here in the US. You'll get more bang for the buck with an A style. I picked up a 94 Flatiron that looked new for $825.00 in the classifieds here. I'd put it up against any Eastman I've ever heard (and I was a satisfied Eastman owner). The same week Danny Clark (www.mandodan.com) had a Gibson A-9 for sale for the same amount.

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The Collings MT's seem to be consistently recomended.
    And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

How much money do I have to spend... Different answers if you asked me or my wife. I'm thinking less than $1000 if I can.

You really do have a lot of choices out there today. Mr Sizemore, told me that I should start my students on Eastmans. (I tried to get him to let me at least take one of his Loar's with me so I could compare...but he wasn't to eager to do that...not sure why not).

With that said, five years ago I was playing at the Gaylord Entertainment Center in Nashville. And before the show I ran down to Gruhns Guitars since it was right down the street. He had some Michael Kelley's that really were a great sounding mando. Don't know why I haven't heard any that were that good since then. But probably because the folks at Gruhn's can set up anything and it plays.

My advice, no matter what you buy, get something from a good dealer. Someone who knows instruments, knows how to set them up, and can help you on your journey. That eleminates alot of music stores, but you need to find someone who takes your music as seriously as you do.

I've played the Eastman's...and like them real good for a beginer instrument. But I've heard a nicely set up Fullington, and I've now ordered one for my 9 year old sister to learn on. If you have any other questions you can hit me up on AIM: MandolinPlayer83

Blog Entries

I can second the Michael Kelly review. I played a great one at the Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival two years ago. It was better than I expected. The dealer was Appalachian Music, from Maryland. So, here;s another vote for a good dealer as well.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Blog Entries

If we say your budget it ~$1K +/- 200 (the Eastman 515 and 615 new prices) you have lots to consider. I like the Eastman mandolins very much myself. I got mine from Gianna Violins and Stephen Perry did an excellent set up. My only grudge with the Eastmans is the very small frets (I like larger frets I've discovered) and others feel the neck is narrow. Mine has a flat fingerboard. Other builders like Rigel and Breedlove are known for their very comfortable radiused necks.

A good dealer who will set up an instrument and listen to you about what you want rather than how much they can sell you is key whether you go Eastman, MK, Kentucky, or used from other builders. You can get a pretty decent used A style for that kind of money too. don't let body shape or headstock logo drive your decision. Let your ears and hands decide if possible.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Just last summer I was on a quest for an American made mandolin, #that said, I played alot of others as I came upon them, # I played a Michael Kelly festival pack mando a couple of Eastmans the new Chineese Flatiron, #and several others, #anyway to make a long story short and to partly answer your question. The Michael Kelly I played sounded nowhere close to what mine does but mine has been set up by my local luthier. But dont give up on Michael Kelly there are some very good ones out there. #The Eastmans were pleasant, nice to play but the surprise for me was the Chineese Flatiron. well made and if I were looking for a mid level beginner mando I would seriously consider it. # but in the long run, #you need to find a way to play several, #find a neck that you like, a sound that is adequate for your tastes. and as has been stated before, #if you do not have a preference on scroll or no scroll, #you get more bang for your buck with an "A"style. #good luck in your search and have fun.
    Ramon

Collings MF #620
    Michael Kelley LFS

I see that Steve at Gianna Violins has a couple of used Eastman 815 models for under $1000.
    He would certainly give you the straight goods on them and make sure they are properly setup.
    He seems to have a very good reputation and seems to always have used Eastmans in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by (DMosher @ Sep. 13 2007, 18:30)
    How much money do I have to spend... #Different answers if you asked me or my wife. #I'm thinking less than $1000 if I can.
    take a look at the JBovier Tradition F style, new will fit your budget or as others have suggested watch the classifieds here for something used, possibly a nice A that fits your cost limit.
    Good Luck, welcome to the insanity
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

My Breedlove's radiused board is awesome. I've only played 2 Eastmans; the 815 was real nice; the 615 played well but the sound didn't impress me. I could be as happy with a Michael Kelly. The shop with the Eastmans also had a few Weber Absaroka A models in the same, or close, price range, & they were at least as nice as, or better than, the 815.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

I suggest you find a used Breedlove, Mid-Missouri, or Gibson A9. Even entry level american made instruments are in a different class than anything the orient has to offer commercially. Still the best advice anyone can give is to play before you buy. Take a short weekend roadtrip to a good dealer if none are nearby. Even if you are only spending <1000$ you will regret snatching the cheapest price for an Eastman or Michael Kelly from some online dealer, ask me how I know.
    Breedlove Quartz KF w/ Schertler DYN-M
    Ralph King Fiddle
    Unknown German Fiddle

Blog Entries

I think what you need to do as well is set a budget, a firm one, and understand what you must have and would like to have in a mandolin. Must haves would be a specific type of sound (Gibson-esque, Collings-esque, Rigel-esque) sound hole, neck shape (V or C or U). #Nice to haves may be body shape (F or A) and colors / new vs used. #Then start interviewing dealers over the phone. If I were in your place, I would talk to people who either sponsor, or are present on the Café boards as they have a reputation (earned and to maintain). #Same goes for the classifieds. I wouldn't use e-bay too much, personnally YMMV.

Since there aren't ton's of mando shops in your area, you may have to buy one on touched. #You can probably hear it over the phone from a shop and see pictures, which is helpful. #Sometimes getting hands on is harder to accomplish. #If you do buy, ask about a trial / approval period. #Then your only risk is shipping it back and forth. #That $100 risk is better than ordering a $1200 one you don't ultimately like.

Before you leap into a purchase, try and play some other peoples instruments and know you're getting a representative example not a carbon copy since instruments vary but this will help you define your must have criteria. #

If you've played an Eastman and like the neck and fret size one of those 815s at <$1K from Gianna violins would be an excellent bargain. #Steve is straight up and honest. #Dennis Vance at the Mandolin Store similarly has a great rep for being a good guy and has used Eastmans in that price range as well. #I've only bought an Eastman from Gianna Violins and can say it was very well set up.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

There isn't any real difference except decoration between the 515 and 615. #I played several new Eastmans against new Breedloves very recently and didn't find them all that different. I bought the Eastman that happened to sound best to me, neither the cheapest nor the most expensive. Buying on-line takes a bit of luck, but I've found dealers like Elderly and The Mandolin Store do adequate set up.

On a guitar a radiused finger board is more important. On a mandolin the finger board is so narrow there is only a small rise in the middle anyway. I've have a radius on my MK mandolin and don't on my new Eastman. I barely notice the difference.

The thing about Eastmans is that one can avail oneself of the opportunity to find a room full of them and pick out the best one of the bunch which is what I did. I paid stupid money for a very nice instrument. Email one the Eastman dealers and find out when they get some in off the boat.
    hanknc

Thanks to everybody who has given me some advice. #I'm still looking, but I've been given some good direction here, and I appreciate it. #Going to talk to a few more dealers on the phone and see if I can hone in on something. #In the meantime, I'm enjoying the hunt.

Registered User Richard Francis's Avatar

Yes, thanks to everyone who posted here. I was going to ask Dave's question at some point--not quite ready for a new mandolin yet--and the answers everyone gave were very helpful.

Richard
    Richard

I suppose people used to say, Go Mid-Mo! Now I'd say, Get Big Muddy! Seriously try a Big Muddy. They are easy to play, easy on the wallet and cute. I love my rosewood one.
    Eastman 805D Two Point F Hole Classic
    Collings MT-2 Sunburst Tortoise Bound
    Mid-Mo M-4 Violin Scale

Blog Entries

If you're not locked into the bluegrass style of picking a Big Muddy or the Gypsy Music flattops are both nice. I've played mid-mos (now Big Muddy) and really liked the all mahog M11 then the M4 Rosewood backed ones. But, I'm not a grasser and I liked those warmer oval tones. My Spira is more like the rosewood backed Big Muddy and sounded very different from an archtop oval (my Eastman F4 copy).

You could do a WHOLE lot worse than a Big Muddy, IMO. But if you're set on an archtop with F holes the Eastman 515 or 615 are nice too. Just a bit fancier. If you had a room full to play the best sounding one could be at any of the trim levels.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by (DryBones @ Sep. 13 2007, 22:34)
    Quote Originally Posted by (DMosher @ Sep. 13 2007, 18:30)
    How much money do I have to spend... Different answers if you asked me or my wife. I'm thinking less than $1000 if I can.
    take a look at the JBovier Tradition F style, new will fit your budget or as others have suggested watch the classifieds here for something used, possibly a nice A that fits your cost limit.
    Good Luck, welcome to the insanity
    Bovier or Eastman are excellent value, good quality mandolins. you could use either at a jam, gig or session without shame.

a bit more of a budget stretch would get a Kentucky KM-1000, which are also very nice.

i agree that A models will deliver best value. An Eastman 505, would be a fine starter. I've not seen a Bovier A in the flesh, but if they are equivalent in build, fit and finish to the Fs then they are also terrific value.

it's great that one can now buy real instruments at these prices.

2 Morris A5's in the classifieds. NFI but we've all seen good reviews.

I know this was said earlier but I need to strongly second a used Gibson A9 or an older Flatiron A. I've been through some pretty amazing mandolins and my used 1k A9 keeps hanging around because it works very well.
    PJ
    Stanley V5