Thread: Givens

What do you think of the Givens recently listed? Is it a good time period?

Listed where?
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

I am assuming it is this one on eBay.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/BEAUTIFUL-HAND-MADE-R-L-GIVENS-MANDOLIN_W0QQitemZ290160563756QQihZ019QQcategoryZ1 0179QQcmd
    ZViewItem" target="_blank">this</a> one yeah? 266 is probably an early 80s model. I've played a very similar instrument before and it's great. Givens instruments are all pretty awesome, and it's been stated before that his 80s and 90s instruments were his best work...
    1988 R.L. Givens A3 #429
    1925 "The Ace" Ludwig Tenor Banjo

www.myspace.com/andersbergstrommusic

Mace,

I own Givens #214 from 1989. It's just like this one, same color, style, rosewood headstock overlay, etc. It is also just like this in that the back and sides are really plain, and don't bookmatch (check the grain on the back of this one). My top doesn't even bookmatch.

Mine is really sound structurally - very well built!
    It also sounds great! It is very bluesy with a lot of what I call "throat." It rumbles and growls in the low registers like no other mando I have ever played.

Greg Boyd has some of these on his website - he asks a real pretty price for them, so who knows what this one will go for?

I've got a earlier one...great mandolin for me.
    [QUOTE]
    It also sounds great! It is very bluesy with a lot of what I call "throat."

A very accurate description of mine as well
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Blog Entries
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Ha! that's bob applebaum's givens! Incidentally, that's the same A6 that I mentioned playing earlier. I study with bob from time to time. he helped me find my givens.
    1988 R.L. Givens A3 #429

I own #262 and its just about the best givens i have had, its similar to this one in its wood and neck shape. this looks like an A5 to me. the A6's have bound headstock and different inlay.i think the neck and body are double bound as well on the A6's. I don't think this one is bobs. hes not in Hemet, and the A5 he has is sort of Green. I had an A5 very similar to this one. If this can be had for a good price I think someone will be very very happy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (MNDOLNR @ Sep. 15 2007, 14:24)
    Ha! that's bob applebaum's givens! Incidentally, that's the same A6 that I mentioned playing earlier. I study with bob from time to time. he helped me find my givens.

I also took the odd lesson from Bob when I was living in the LA area, although it was hard to be a regular because the drive from the Inland Empire to Venice could be anywhere from 1.25 to 3.5 hours, depending on...you know. Traffic stuff.

Give Bob my best next time you see him.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Yeah, it's an A5...not that that makes any difference whatsoever. #My A3 sounds and plays as strong and wonderful as my A6, and better than most other mandolins. #Both of my Givens are simply outstanding mandolins, and I'm sure this one is too (based on the above comments and on my personal experience with Givens mandolins). #

This Givens probably will end up being someone's lifetime mandolin--so many of them sound that good.

Hi

I am new to the forum and Givens caught my eye. I have #269 A6. I have played many many mandos but havent found many that rival the sound and playability of this one. Yes it looks like the one in the add....plain and simple woods, etc. But it is wide open, has a wider neck, and I havent been able to let it go!

Mason - I don't think there is a "period" that's better for Givens. I play with a guy that has an A6 and F5, I just traded my A4, and they are all from different time periods and locations. All are fantastic. I've never heard one that wasn't a top shelf mandolin. I hope I don't regret losing mine, but I got a good trade for it. Greg Boyd is definitely the source of knowledge on these, he might be able to tell you more about that one. Someone will be very happy. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

What did you get in the trade Frank?

I've heard about the famous tone to Givens but playability is never mentioned. What about playability? How is the scale length? Does it compare favorably with the longer necked A's?

I used to have #319, a very ugly A5, but my son stole it from me a month ago and won't give it back. Back it May he comes over to my house, says, "Dad, you've got all these great mandolins, and your going to die. Maybe you should teach me how to play them." I gave him an old Flat Iron Army Navy I had hanging on the wall. In an hour he had learned Old Dangerfield and Lonesome Moonlight Waltz, better than I know them. Now he has moved on, and stole my mandolin.
    Clyde Clevenger
    Salem, Oregon
    www.myspace.com/oldcircle
    Just my opinion, but it's right.

Oh, the point was, the ugly duckling sounds as good as it looks bad, and plays even better.
    Clyde Clevenger
    Salem, Oregon
    www.myspace.com/oldcircle
    Just my opinion, but it's right.

For Mace above: Givens A's (and F's) are all normal/regular long-neck scale-length..in fact, Givens more-or-less set the standard for modern A mandolins, as I understand it. Without question, professional playability, but all instruments of any brand need routine set-up from time to time. Apparently the necks on some Givens require work years down the road, but that particular work is very manageable for a qualified luthier-repair person...and certainly worth the effort.

Gee, I thought I mentioned the great playability in my post earlier. Oh well I am new here

Blog Entries

Don't worry about it. Lots of folks don't read as carefully as they should.
    Jason Anderson

yea...Im only here for the pictures!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

I love the ugly duckling reference. Bob Applebaum's A6 (the one played in the recording posted above) is about the homeliest mandolin you've ever seen...until you hear him play it. I have an A3, #429 and the neck on mine is very narrow (and thus, string spacing is pretty tight) and took me a while to get used to. Nowadays, wide neck mandolins und up making my hand and wrist sore.
    1988 R.L. Givens A3 #429

Several years back, a friend wanted to swap his '70s Givens A for my 'early '90s Martin HD-28 2R, even. Later I sold the Martin and the Givens was long gone and I have kicked myself numerous times for that failure!