Thread: Fiblerglass bobelock case @ greg boyd's

Unhappy

Here's a link to the site:
    http://gregboyd.com/accessory_detail...ssory_key=1060

I was wondering if anyone has seen or owns one of these? If so, what are your opinions of this case? I have heard that the regular Bobelock case is great (and have been eying the ad from Steve Perry-great price with shipping included). Thank You!

Looks like a great case. I anticipated Bobelock would offer a fiberglass case for mandolins, especially after they introduced their fiberglass violin cases. Their products are very good quality. I may have to spring for one, although it would be nice if the cases were not for A/F. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

I can honestly say that the raised outline of the F5 doesn't do much for me and that the lack of padding under the end pin looks like a disaster waiting to happen if it's dropped on that end. If it had some padding down below and the top was plain I'd probably go for one if I needed another case.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	26390  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

It seems a bit long with the compartment above the headstock.

Haven't seen the case myself but I handled dozens of their violin,viola and cello cases over the years.They are great people and make a fantastic product.

I'm with Mike on the padding, or lack of padding, by the end pin. Plus, the way the neck is supported looks like the perfect recipe for a snapped headstock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1060_FiberglassMandolinCase_9.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	26391  
    Steve Perry
    Sumi SF5 Birdseye

"Quit thinkin'... Just play"

At first glance that case looks really nice, and I'm sure an many ways it is. I have an Eastman fiberglass case, and this looks like a significant upgrade from something like that. Looking more closely though at details, that lack of padding at the end pin is totally a recipe for disaster IMHO, as has already been stated. If I were a case designer (watch out, world), I'd think that padding around the entirety of the instrument body (even at the end pin) would be at the top of my list. Still I'd be tempted to check one out. Maybe the folks at Bobelock would be nice enough to send a little extra padding material so customers could upgrade that part of their otherwise nice cases.
    Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

I have the new Bobelock fiberglass case. I will try to address some of the points brought up:

As Mike pointed out there is no padding behind the endpin. The only case I have on hand to compare it to is the TKL vintage style case that comes with the Collings mandolins. On the TKL case there is/was padding behind the endpin, but the endpin has pushed the padding aside it so that if dropped on its end, I don't believe the result would be any different than from the Bobelock. Anybody ever had experience with a mandolin dropped in its' case on the end?

The Bobelock case is 3 inches longer than the TKL vintage. I am short and find that the case carries easily with the shoulder strap.

Maybe Steve can elaborate on what he sees as a problem on the headstock end of the case The support under the neck of the Bobelock goes from the 4th through 7th fret. On the TKL vintage, the neck support is under the 10th through 12th frets--the neck does not rest on the pocket lid, so there is actually more neck extending beyond the support than on the Bobelock.

I like the latches and the velcro closure on the cover of the new case--pretty user friendly. I have owned the standard Bobelock cases--I always thought there were too many steps to get into them!! The pocket on the cover extends across the entire top (2 zippers meet in the middle), so there is plenty of storage room.
    Russ Jordan

I've had many instruments over the years that had the end pin pushed in when UPS or some other shipping company dropped them and that was in a case suspended in a box. Believe me, if there is downward motion (a drop on the end) the end pin will either disintegrate or destroy the bottom of the instrument. Hope for the former. Steve's concern about the headstock (I honestly missed it, the Boyd site is pretty slow and the format to look at the images leaves a bit to be desired), comes from the fact that there is a great deal of wiggle room and a large portion of the neck not supported. That retaining strap would hold the mandolin in place. If the case was dropped flat on it's back or front there would be a whiplash effect on the neck. The headstock being heavier with the tuners and all could get some sudden motion going and snap the neck at the headstock. When I ship I pack in front and in back of the headstock. With that said, this is a case and if you don't do anything silly with it it will probably protect the instrument. I'm just not sure it protects it any more than a TKL or the Musician's Friend $29.00 case. It isn't a Calton and honestly, I'd take my old Eastman Fiberglass case over this. The only thing I can see that this has going for it that the lesser priced Eastman doesn't is the pick pocket. YMMV.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber