Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wegen picks

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Hi guys,

I use Wegen picks at the moment and alternate between a TF140 and an M150. I like the shape, feel and sound of the M150 but find it a tiny bit on the thick side. The TF I find to be the perfect thickness but slightly too bright for most stuff. Has anyone tried a custom M140 (or anything in between the M100 and M150)?

Just curious.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt,
    I use the TF140's. I thought they were too bright with the speed bevel. I took a fingernail file and rounded the corners and put a standard bevel on it and then rebuffed the edges. Now it's darker and I love the way it pushes through the strings better. Something to try.

Thanks, I might give that a go on one of the TFs. I do like the shape of the M150 better though.....

I use a 140 with my BRW, it feels right to me on that particular instrument but a little thick on others. I use from a .76 (octave) .88 (guitar & oval A) 1.0 (Brentrup) to the 140 for Bluegrass. I'll agree with Terry that the 140 is a touch bright though.
    Bill

Matt,
    Try to shape the 140 like the 150 if that is the shape and feel you like. I shaped mine similar to a Proplec Jazzmando since that was my pic of choice before trying the Wegens.

Michel Wegen can make you any pick(s) you like. I think an M140 would be nice. Another cafe member mentioned recently that he'd had some custom M120s (1.2mm) made to suit his liking. Michel would probably even put together a sampler pack if you asked, something like M picks at 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4.

Oh, and I too have softened the edges on a TF140 (using ScotchBrite No-Scratch), and it made a big tonal improvement IMO.
    Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

Blog Entries

Love my 140s!
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I know it sounds impossible, but I am convinced black wegens are smoother/darker sounding than white wegens
    I alternate between a black wegen trimus 2.5mm, dawg pick and a de'andrea pro-plec. I beveled the edges on
    the dawg and pro-plec just like a wegen, they are great for a variety of different tones. The dawg w/bevels is
    a lot like an M150 mando pick but bigger an easier for me to hold, a little rounder too, great for tremelo. The
    pro-plec is a bit brighter and a little more bendy, great for playing fast and loud, it is like a poor man's TF140.

Right on MandoBen, I totally agree. I believe the black and white Wegens are not the same. I much prefer the black ones to the white ones. I don't know if they're denser due to the black coloring agent or what.
    Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

Quote Originally Posted by (jasonh847 @ Sep. 27 2007, 12:04)
    Michel Wegen can make you any pick(s) you like. #I think an M140 would be nice. #Another cafe member mentioned recently that he'd had some custom M120s (1.2mm) made to suit his liking. #Michel would probably even put together a sampler pack if you asked, something like M picks at 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4.

Oh, and I too have softened the edges on a TF140 (using ScotchBrite No-Scratch), and it made a big tonal improvement IMO.
    that would be me with the custom M120's in a lefty no less. I am finding that string/pick combinations really varies from mando to mando. I am still liking the M120 but since I went from EXp74's to Firewire strings on my JBovier I am finding I like the M150 more. Probably has soemthing to do with string sizes along with coating differences. I am thinking I should have gone with M130's since I really wanted something in between M100 and M150 so I guess an order is due! BTW, I think I like the white over the black.
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

Ditto for me -- I have black and white Wegen 150s', and I prefer the white ones. I wonder what it is about the black ones, as they seem to feel better and sound better. But, I carry both. If you're picking somewhere that the floor is a dark color, use a white one. And vice versa. Makes pickin 'em up a lot faster !
    James M.(Jim) Pullen

If you like the 150, its easy enough to pare the thickness down with a bit of 400 or 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a bit of water. Hook your fingernails around the top, and work it in a circular motion with light pressure until you get the thickness that feels comfortable. You can also get 2000 grit wet-dry paper at wal-mart or the local auto supply store to work the bevels/slick out the sanding marks. Personally I like the surface I get from 600 grit paper.

Thanks for all the replies. As I have 3 M150s I guess I can afford to experiment with a couple and see how I get on. I definitely need a slightly thinner pick, just not sure how much thinner.

cheers

I switched from the Dawg & Goldengate's to the Wegen M100 & M150. Use the M100 more than the M150. Because the 150 is a little thick and the 100 is a little thin. I have mando picker friend Bill Nesbitt of Old School Bluegrass-Little Rock,(a very good Bluegrass Band by the way),heshowed me his wegen 140mm Bluegrass pick. I have a package of them on the way. I really likedhis. Can't wait till they come in. They are not a dawg shaped pick and not a big triangle either.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Quote Originally Posted by (woodwizard @ Oct. 01 2007, 10:04)
    I switched from the Dawg & Goldengate's to the Wegen M100 & M150. Use the M100 more than the M150. Because the 150 is a little thick and the 100 is a little thin.
    me thinks its time for you to just order some custom M120's or M130's from Michel Wegen! #

Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

Blog Entries

I'm new to mandolins and flatpicks. #I've played acoustic blues guitar with bare fingers forever. #So, I am no expert at this pick thing at all. #I ordered some of everything I could find from anywhere that sold them.....Wegens included.

The question I have is if one is going to pay the Wegen price only to modify it, why not get the picks from www.mandolinbridge.com? #They seem IMHO to be a "Wegen blank". #I can't tell the difference except in the surface texture which can be duplicated in a few seconds with a fingernail file. #Just wondering.

Anyway I use the Golden Gates for now in my learning efforts.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Just when I got a paddle, they added more water to the creek.

I contacted Michel and he's happy to make me up a custom 3 pack of 1xM120, 1xM130 and 1xM140 to see which I prefer. He even suggested making the 130 in black rather than white so they're easy to tell apart. Great service from a guy with a great product.

Isn't the internet a marvellous thing?!

Matt

What I have done is diagonally slice and carefully 'sandwich' a TF140 and a M150 pick. I also filled in 3 of the 7 holes with a liquified binding mixture, originating from a 1923 Gibson F5. I now find that I only have to practice half as much as I used to and getting even better results. Proof that it really -IS- the equipment that we use and not regular practice and dedication to improve tone and overal competence with the mandolin.

"I now find that I only have to practice half as much as I used to and getting even better results. Proof that it really -IS- the equipment that we use and not regular practice and dedication to improve tone and overal competence with the mandolin. "

(Speechless)

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by (8strings @ Oct. 16 2007, 06:53)
    What I have done is diagonally slice and carefully 'sandwich' a TF140 and a M150 pick. I also filled in 3 of the 7 holes with a liquified binding mixture, originating from a 1923 Gibson F5. I now find that I only have to practice half as much as I used to and getting even better results. Proof that it really -IS- the equipment that we use and not regular practice and dedication to improve tone and overal competence with the mandolin.
    Hmm, I find that if I fill 4 of the 7 holes, and use scrap celluloid from a July 9 F5 as an adhesive, I can produce similar results- but I am practicing 57% as much and, while only about 93% as accurate at picking, #my speed is enhanced 116%. Tone is, of course, subjective, and overrated by 49% of all players.

I have been using a CF-120 Wegen (Chad Fadely) for my guitar and a M-150 for mandolin. #

He says that he can't tell any difference between black and white. #I can if I drop it on the floor and try to find it.

Larry

Well, the new picks have arrived and, so far, I'm loving the 1.3. It has the solid sound I like in the 1.5 but is a bit more subtle for tremolo and keeps my picking a bit cleaner as well.

Here's to Michel for such a great service and willingness to help players find the right pick for them.

Matt

<What I have done is diagonally slice and carefully 'sandwich' a TF140 and a M150 pick. I also filled in 3 of the 7 holes with a liquified binding mixture, originating from a 1923 Gibson F5. I now find that I only have to practice half as much as I used to and getting even better results. Proof that it really -IS- the equipment that we use and not regular practice and dedication to improve tone and overal competence with the mandolin.>

LMAO!

Funny stuff.

I use the TF 140, but want to give the M150 a try.

In a double-blind side placebo test, I believe that the black ones are darker.

The white ones are not as heavy, so they must be lighter.

Sorry. Couldn't stop myself.
    Larry