Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345627 ... LastLast

Thread: Compulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N

Nice job fatt-dad! Mine is a 96 Signature Series 1N and it has a truss rod and an truss rod cover # This 96 is a Gibson era Flatiron and it is the only pancake style Flatiron I've seen or played. Could be among the last made in Montana before they moved to Nashville.

Flatiron was around in the early 80's then in 87, they were bought out by Gibson. In December of 96, Gibson moved the operation.

FD- I would venture to say that yours was made on May 27 of 84 amd the 47th 1N made that year.

The neck profile on the 1N is very comfortable to play. I believe it may be a tad bit wider at the nut than my Yellowstone.

The Cadet is from the Performer Series. Supposedly the Performer Series was Flatiron's entry line, then Signature Series, Artist Series and Master.

Do the first 2 numbers of the serial no. denote the year made? If so, then my mandola is a '96 Signature Series also.

You guys know about these pages, right? Mine is just like the natural mandola on the lower right picture here, except that it doesn't have the tailpiece pictured, the decal is light colored, rather than dark, and someone has stuck on a clear pickguard (ugh). Still can't complain, because the sound is great, and so was the price!

I can't believe Gibson put a truss rod cover over the plain wood on their toy replicas. Is that a tacky touch, or what? LOL

bratsche

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Bratsche, obviously you like your 1N mandola. What other ones do you have that you are comparing it to and how does it stack up?
    Are your other ones carved or flatops and how different are they in tone, loudness etc..?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

O.K. so now we are on our second page. I also like the neck profile on the 1N. Here is what is slated for today. Considering that the silk and steels are the wrong gauge, I am going to restring with medium lights. As I was playing today, I noticed that the action seemed high up the neck and as there is no adjustment, I figure that with the lighter gauge strings, I will have somewhat easier time noting up there. So, report to follow.

Regarding the Flatiron link, I have seen that before. It is a good one. I have only great things to say about my Flatirons, however neither are from the Gibson era. That said, my A5-1 is a great mandolin (I know that everybody says that about their favorite mandolin, but I hear this from people who are playing their favorite mandolins - ha).

Fatt-dad
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I hate to post and then post again, but there is a 1N on ebay with 2 days remaining, no reserve and at $102.50 right now. Who knows where it will end up, but interesting - eh?

Put my GHS phosphor bronze med lights today (as specified) and all is well. It is interesting how different it plays as the silk and steels were larger diameter even though they do not have much tension. The medium lights have made the playability much better and the sound is real good too!

f-d

fatt-dad, where did you see that one on ebay? What catagory? I can't seem to find it.

I couldn't find it either. The seller may have ended the auction.

Go to the main ebay page and type flatiron 1N into the search. I'll be there and it's now at $150 with one day left.

f-d

OK. I see it. I was doing a search for a Flatiron Mandolin and it does not come up. You have to add 1N to get there

There is a 1N a 2MB and a 3K all for sale on Ebay. The 2MB has some killer Bird's Eye on the back side.

So maybe I'll steal the 2mb, ha - my first Gibson-era Flatiron. Then again, I won't get my hopes up, I really do need to sell some pac-rim for the present.

f-d

Quote Originally Posted by (atetone @ June 01 2004, 18:45)
    Hey Racuda,, I will trade you straight across for that scratched up old mando that you got #with that guys aunts' intitials scribbled all over it.
    I appreciate the offer, but you wouldn't believe what I went through to get that mando - and besides, the scribbled initials are very faint on the back. I don't even notice anymore.

Racuda, I was just kidding you about the scratches. I am sure you did go through a lot of trouble to get it. That's why I backed out. Didn't think he would deliver.
    For those of you that don't know, Racuda picked up an A2Z cheap. It was a "throw in" on a deal for an old non-descript bowlback that the owner thought was the real desirable mandolin.
    Great story.
    Sorry to go off topic.

OK folks-

The 1N on Ebay sold last night for (get this) $157.00! The auction closed at midnight. As I watched it end, I thought, why am I not bidding on this? I was gearing up for a possible bidding war with ole8string! Never mind the fact that I already have a sweet 96 1N. I suppose I could have used another one to keep in my office. How bad does that sound? We may never see one go for this price again. It did have some minor issues with it but heck, for $157.00 I would have, could have should have...sigh

Feeling your pain - the one that I paid $300.00 for had some issues with it also. How do you deal with the problem, when you have too many mandolins (heck we could get pages of postings over that statement), some of which you may never make a dime on and then comes along a mandolin that you could make a $100 bucks on? How can I communicate the wisdom of buying another mandolin to anyone outside of this newsgroup (i.e., my wife)? What is it about kids, shoes, cars, etc that make them more important then more mandolins - ha?

Oh well, where did we start here - oh yeah, someone picked up a 1N on an impulse. I can only hope that whoever bought the 1N last night enjoys it.

f-d

Yes, I watched that one close too and wondered why I didn't go after it, but since I have one in the mail on its way to me and have never tried one before, I resisted.
    That is cheap though even with the issues that it had.
    Oh well, you can't have them all.

On Ebay there is currently a 3K and a 2MB. How do these compare to the N1.
    These were made in 92 and 96.

Oh no, someone else headed for the 2MB. I may have to bow out, but you have to continue posting on this thread.

Unless I'm mistaken (we can discuss if I am), the 1N and the 2N (or in this case the 2MB) are very similar with the 2 having different wood (in the case of the one on ebay, birds-eye maple) and the 2 having the adjustible truss rod. I'm not really sure, but I figure if I make some claims, someone who really knows will set the record straight - ha.

fatt-dad

I shouldn't be a threat unless it's alast minute thing.

have you seen the one just posted in the classifieds?
    Mike McManus

Whatdoes the "C" mean? Cedar top?

Good question. I've not heard of this type of a Flatiron having a Cedar top. The one in the classifieds has some very nice looking flame!

Welcome to this thread. We only have 28 some pages to go to catch up to the BRW thread

<span style='color:purple'>My other mando is a Flatiron performer F I can't say enough about. But I would consider a relatively inexpensive round 'ole Flatiron mando for a different tone.</span>

Today's report. See the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....03&rd=1

This is a "Gibson" plywood with truss rod cover (truss rod not included).

Please welcome the fellow asking about the "3" in the classifieds. Hopefully s/he will find us here. That said, does anybody know the real difference between the "1", "2" and "3" series. I think we figured the letters stand for the wood or finish, something like that.

f-d

<span style='color:orange'>...And here is another Flatiron. This is a</span> CH-1

<span style='color:orange'>......Mmmm Orange</span>

<span style='color:green'>... Or get the orig Gibson Army-Navy</span> Gibson DY

<span style='color:green'>...Mmmmm Lime</span>