Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 2007 ibma awards - analysis

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Proper uniforming does not require being Kiss or some other over the top rock group. Look at at couple of current groups. Del McCoury Band always dresses good and it sets them apart from the other groups. How about The Cherryholmes? They can put on the dog in costuming and it fits what they do and helps draw attention. Bill Monroe never showed up in ragged blue jeans and a t shirt and neither did any of his band members.

I would rather have someone say "Wow, I had a great time!" than say "Man, they can pick!". Entertainment is serious business, but it is a business and when we fail to entertain the audience and capture their attention we have lost the battle. I've seen some great pickers that get so boring that no one cares to watch them. Too many are getting to be better on the album than on the stage...because you can shut them off.

We are musicians and we can become too focused on just the music. That is a natural thing for us, but for those who are not pickers (poor souls they may be) it is the show as a whole, not just the picking. If all you have to offer is picking, be sure there are a hundred others out there as good or better and able to entertain as well.

I would just like to feel like what I paid for a ticket to a show was worth the money. I can hear very good picking for free any day I wish. I want to see a show. This may only be my opinion, but I'll bet it could easily be the same as many of the non pickers on the planet. Maybe the reason BG is not growing any faster is because it has forgot the "Show" part of show business. There are a few who are doing a great job, but lots more who are not.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Not the biggest issue in the world, but I would say that dressing for the occasion is a way of entering it - you're there, physically and mentally, and nowhere else.

I have a four piece group (soon to be 5) consisting of mandolin, guitar, banjo and fiddle (we're adding a bass player).

We play fiddle tunes, jug band tunes and old fingerstyle blues tunes adapted to our instrumentation.

We have always worn khakis, white button down shirt and a matching tie (usually red). We wear this no matter what venue we play. People really respond to it.

What I like about doing this the most is the uniformity. Its shows that we are unified, together. When we arrive at a gig there is no doubt we're together and little doubt that we're the band (we've been mistaken for waiters).

We work at being musically unified in our performances and I think its good to show it to the crowd through what we wear.

Also given that all the music we play is old. I think our uniforms also make us seem old fashioned.

We play a lot of town squares and 'apple festivals' and when we play these venues a lot of times our audience is older. The older folks really like the way we present our band visually. We always get positive remarks from them.
    2003 Gibson A5L

2012 Gibson Custom Advanced Jumbo
    2005 Gibson 'True Vintage' Original Jumbo

1920 Bacon Open Back

Dan and Joe are Spot On! It's just a nice touch when bluegrass bands consider more that just the playing as part of their entertainment package. Each band should have some sort "intentional" design and not appear like they are performing the same clothes that they wore on the ride from the last gig.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by (mandopete @ Oct. 18 2007, 12:07)
    Dan and Joe are Spot On! #It's just a nice touch when bluegrass bands consider more that just the playing as part of their entertainment package. #
    I think this is entertaining....Wilbur Hall on Fiddle
    And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

I'm going to see Flamekeeper tonight. They were recognized as the Instrumental Band of the Year. I don't think anyone would consider them either pretty or commercial. The place I'll see them only holds about 100 people.
    Passernig #42

Quote Originally Posted by (Jonathan Peck @ Oct. 19 2007, 12:04)
    I think this is entertaining....Wilbur Hall on Fiddle
    Yeah, but is it really bluegrass?
    2015 Chevy Silverado