Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Random mandolin sightings

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Random mandolin sightings

I think I'll try and drag this thread back toward its original mission ...

One result of some unintended synchronicity - my curiosity and a friend's writing project - led me to conduct an exhaustive search for instances of mandolin use by Shocking Blue. These Dutch roots-rockers are known in the USA primarily for their smash hit "Venus," although they were major stars in their native country. But through a circuitous route which I've detailed elsewhere, I learned they had a lot more going on than that - no one-hit wonders were they - and in fact were early proponents of using American roots music elements in rock, something which became known nearly two decades later as Americana.

A few years ago I discovered their interest led them to include mandolin in their repertoire, along with sitar and banjo. I've posted a couple of those to the Mandolins in Rock thread. But this above-mentioned research brought me to a youtube channel which features 98 video uploads of their first seven albums - including the one before the female singer Mariska Veres joined the band. Listening to all this on autoplay clued me in to the existence of ten songs featuring our beloved instrument, in varying degrees. Remember, this was a time - late 1960s to early 1970s - when mandolin was used very occasionally, even in the wake of "Maggie May" and "Mandolin Wind." I believe no other rock band used mandolin that much other than Seals & Crofts until much later.

Scorpio's Dance (Scorpio's Dance)
    I Saw Your Face (3rd Album)
    Navajo Tears (Inkpot)
    Jambalaya (Inkpot)
    Who Save My Soul (Inkpot)
    Rock In The Sea - Seems to be a stand-alone single
    A Waste Of Time (Attila)
    Will The Circle Be Unbroken (Attila)
    Early In The Morning (Attila)
    Wild Rose (Dream On Dreamer)

Their version of "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" is particularly interesting. It's driven by rhythm mandolin with a strength I've never known in rock before its time - 1972 - and rarely since. Robbie van Leeuwen takes a couple nice rides on it as well. No, he's no Grisman, but he's no slouch, either. He was their main songwriter and lead guitarist, both of which talents were stronger. Indeed, track down their first album with Mariska, originally released as "At Home." It's a classic, nearly every song as strong as or even stronger than "Venus." Enjoy!

Last edited by journeybear; Jan-02-2021 at 5:58pm. Reason: speeling, all ways speeling
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    And your point is?...Allen already apprised me of my "oopsie." I acknowledged that with a "Thanks" on his post. Anything more of that nature is piling on...
    Didn't intend to point out an "oopsie," just thought people might want to read the somewhat extended/opinionated discussion in the other thread. Clearly, reactions to Simpson's bluegrass efforts were quite varied, though opinions of his back-up band were uniformly favorable.

And thanx for the "thanks."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Thanks for further clarification. I'm trying to make as little of this as possible in order to encourage staying on topic. So applying minimalism, I'll leave this here ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

4. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Really neat sound! Man, even after all these years music still impresses and surprises me.

Blog Entries

Hi! Good morning. And thanks for contributing. However, I do want to say that, although this video is quite enjoyable, it doesn't really fit here. The main reason I started this thread was to provide a place for odd occurrences of mandolins and mandolinning - in places, situations, and contexts where one normally might not have expected a mandolin to appear. Playing a mandola or oud or lute(whatever this is) in a forest is pleasant enough, and a bit unusual, all right, but not really surprising. It's that element of surprise that seems lacking here. I suggest this video might be better suited for inclusion in threads such as "Women With Mandolins" or one of the genre threads devoted to geography. I do not in any way mean to discourage anyone from contributing - contributions are the backbone of a forum - but I do want to remind you - and everyone - of the intent of this thread and to ask one and all to maintain its focus, as specified in the OP. QV. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    video

Hi! Good morning. And thanks for contributing. However, I do want to say that, although this video is quite enjoyable, it doesn't really fit here. The main reason I started this thread was to provide a place for odd occurrences of mandolins and mandolinning - in places, situations, and contexts where one normally might not have expected a mandolin to appear. Playing a mandola or oud or lute(whatever this is) in a forest is pleasant enough, and a bit unusual, all right, but not really surprising. It's that element of surprise that seems lacking here. I suggest this video might be better suited for inclusion in threads such as "Women With Mandolins" or one of the genre threads devoted to geography. I do not in any way mean to discourage anyone from contributing - contributions are the backbone of a forum - but I do want to remind you - and everyone - of the intent of this thread and to ask one and all to maintain its focus, as specified in the OP. QV. Thank you.
    Oh, alright. I'll keep that in mind.

Blog Entries

Thanks. Not a big deal, and of course you are welcome here. That goes without saying, but I want to say so anyway, to emphasize your - and everyone's - welcome. I just want to maintain this thread's unique, odd, quirky nature. That's all.

Thanks. Not a big deal, and of course you are welcome here. That goes without saying, but I want to say so anyway, to emphasize your - and everyone's - welcome. I just want to maintain this thread's unique, odd, quirky nature. That's all.
    Yeah, that's fair.

10. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Blog Entries

Yesterday on Jeopardy, the first game of the post-Alex-Trebek era, there was this clue:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210111_195202.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	377.4 KB 
ID:	191263

Given the clues - female painter, France, time period - the answer was Mary Cassatt, obviously. But I did not know that her career started, or entered the big time, with a painting on this subject. It is indeed quite an accomplished work.

Name:	Mandolin Player Mary Cassatt.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	191264

Blog Entries

Last Thursday, Steve Earle appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live. He played this song, written by his son, Justin Townes Earle, who passed last year. It's a track on "J.T," his tribute album. I was a bit surprised to see him leading the way on an octave mandolin. Or should I say, pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by journeybear; Jan-15-2021 at 11:34pm. Reason: editing for reason

13. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

And this bonus song was not aired. A regular size mandolin this time. Someone who knows more about him might be able to say whether he has been working mandolins into his act more lately. I knew about "Copperhead Road" and "Galway Girl," of course, from years ago. But these were new to me.

15. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Saw this Humira add while watching TV tonight. Mandolin sighting 8 or so seconds in.

https://ispot.tv/a/oXac
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

Blog Entries

Wow! Good catch. You had to be watching closely to catch that. Being upstaged by a spoons player, to boot.

Yeah, the ad cuts out just ten seconds before the mandolin player shoots the spoons player. No jury would convict him...
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

19. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Yeah, the ad cuts out just ten seconds before the mandolin player shoots the spoons player. No jury would convict him...
    Haha! Probably

21. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

This is from Humber Magazine (Winter 2021), the alumni magazine of Humber College in Toronto, where I got a certificate from a correspondence program. There is no information about the photo, but it illustrated an article about a bus tour through southwest Ontario. The vehicle (car or truck) looks to me to be from the 1920's, though I have no idea whether it was new or old at the time of the photo. Some antique car buff may enlighten us about the approximate year of the vehicle. I don't believe anyone made a recording that day.

If anyone can think of a more appropriate thread for historical photos like this one, please let me know.

Name:	mandoplayer swON.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	191550

Name:	Page with mando player.jpg 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	191551

Added: Regarding the instrument; thanks to Jim Garber, below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octophone
    Last edited by Ranald; Jan-27-2021 at 12:44pm.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

23. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    This is from Humber Magazine (Winter 2021), the alumni magazine of Humber College in Toronto, where I got a certificate from a correspondence program. There is no information about the photo, but it illustrated an article about a bus tour through southwest Ontario. The vehicle (car or truck) looks to me to be from the 1920's, though I have no idea whether it was new or old at the time of the photo. Some antique car buff may enlighten us about the approximate year of the vehicle. I don't believe anyone made a recording that day.

If anyone can think of a more appropriate thread for historical photos like this one, please let me know.

Name:	mandoplayer swON.jpg 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	191550

Name:	Page with mando player.jpg 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	191551
    Regal Octophone!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Oh, I think right here is just fine! Pretty, dang random, I'd say! You might consider Videos, Pictures & Sound Files, also. But yeah, I don't see a main heading dedicated to vintage photos. Surely there are threads in there.

Since it was a bus tour, that might actually be the bus steps he's sitting on. Old buses were often built that way. The blunt nose design came later, IIRC. Is that a separate photograph next to the player and his friend, or are those people listening? Or perhaps singing along?

27. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

Oh, I think right here is just fine! Pretty, dang random, I'd say! You might consider Videos, Pictures & Sound Files, also. But yeah, I don't see a main heading dedicated to vintage photos. Surely there are threads in there.

Since it was a bus tour, that might actually be the bus steps he's sitting on. Old buses were often built that way. The blunt nose design came later, IIRC. Is that a separate photograph next to the player and his friend, or are those people listening? Or perhaps singing along?
    Thanks. The bus tour that the article was about was in September of 2019, when students visited a museums and historical sites related to the Underground Railway and the settlement of black refugees in Ontario. (By the way, many free African-Americans came to Canada after the passage of the Fugitive Slave Act in the USA, which allowed slavers to capture people who'd escaped from slavery and return them to the South; many free people were afraid of being kidnapped and sold into slavery, as happened to Solomon Northup, who wrote in the book, Twelve Years A Slave, and fled from the American north to Canada) So the vehicle in the picture wasn't the bus referred to, though the photo may show a bus. The two people seem to be sitting on wooden stairs that aren't necessarily designed for the vehicle. Or perhaps someone made them so Grandma wouldn't have to stretch her legs when she climbed in. The photo of the young women is a separate one. In that photo, to the left, the clothes and hairstyles seem to be from the 1920's -- unless this is a contemporary retro look developed by Humber's Fashion students. The photo below seems to show farm workers standing by a steam tractor. I assume that these are museum photos, seen during the tour.
    Last edited by Ranald; Jan-27-2021 at 2:33pm.
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

29. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Came across this on the net. Yakatat Alaska Native group outside the Alaska Native Brotherhood building. Photo attributed to photographer Shoki Kayamori circa 1930

Name:	302A68BB-5581-4000-922F-B04A5FB56BDA.jpeg 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	191555
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

31. The following members say thank you to Roger Adams for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Adams View Post
    Came across this on the net. Yakatat Alaska Native group outside the Alaska Native Brotherhood building. Photo attributed to photographer Shoki Kayamori circa 1930
    Great picture. Roger. Thanks.

...(By the way, many free African-Americans came to Canada after the passage of the Fugitive Slave Act in the USA, which allowed slavers to capture people who'd escaped from slavery and return them to the South; many free people were afraid of being kidnapped and sold into slavery, as happened to Solomon Northup, who wrote in the book, Twelve Years A Slave, and fled from the American north to Canada)...
    I'm on my way to Canada, that cold and dreary land,
    The sad effects of slavery I can no longer stand.
    I've served my master all my days, without a dime's reward,
    And now I'm forced to run away, to flee the lash abroad.

Chorus:
    Farewell master, now don't think hard of me,
    I'm on my way to Canada, where all the slaves are free.
    Oh Righteous Father, will Thou not pity me,
    And lead me on to Canada, where all the slaves are free?

-- George Allen, The Underground Rail-Car, to the tune of Oh Susannah. I usually include this in programs of Civil War songs.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I'm on my way to Canada, that cold and dreary land,
    The sad effects of slavery I can no longer stand.
    I've served my master all my days, without a dime's reward,
    And now I'm forced to run away, to flee the lash abroad.

Chorus:
    Farewell master, now don't think hard of me,
    I'm on my way to Canada, where all the slaves are free.
    Oh Righteous Father, will Thou not pity me,
    And lead me on to Canada, where all the slaves are free?

-- George Allen, The Underground Rail-Car, to the tune of Oh Susannah. I usually include this in programs of Civil War songs.
    Thanks, Allen. I'm not proud to tell you that there was slavery in Canada, but involving far smaller numbers than in the U.S. "In August 1833, the Slave Emancipation Act was passed, giving all slaves in the British empire their freedom, albeit after a set period of years." Canada became a (relatively) independent country in 1867. Up to that point, it was a series of British colonies with colonial legislatures. On the college trip mentioned above (Posts 191 and 194), the students learned about a former slaveowner turned abolitionist in southwest Ontario. As I heard someone say recently, We (Canadians) learn about the Underground Railway in school, but not about slavery in British and French North America. She said, Canada had 300 years of slavery and thirty years of the Underground Railway. That's not an exact quote, but the gist of what she said (for young folks, She was like, Canada had...). I prefer truth over self-righteousness, even when it's uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Ranald; Jan-27-2021 at 5:28pm.

36. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Blog Entries

The bus tour that the article was about was in September of 2019 ... So the vehicle in the picture wasn't the bus referred to, though the photo may show a bus.
    Thanks for clearing that all up. It sounds very interesting, all the same. I've been to Canada a whole three times - Montreal Expo '67 (where my brothers, Dad, and I got to see Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane play an impromptu show that fairly well blew this teenager's mind), July 5, 1986 (after seeing Grateful Dead open for Dylan & Petty at Rich Stadium on the Fourth, decided to go see Niagara Falls from both sides), and Winnipeg Folk Festival 1991 (my jug band got to open the Friday night show on the main stage and much more. No Grateful Dead this time, but John Prine, Guy Clark, and Townes Van Zandt; getting to see them made me grateful.) So each time music was involved.

38. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Adams View Post
    Yakatat Alaska Native group outside the Alaska Native Brotherhood building.

Name:	302A68BB-5581-4000-922F-B04A5FB56BDA.jpeg 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	191555
    Two mandolins to one guitar. Seems about right.