Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: Random mandolin sightings

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Random mandolin sightings

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I scanned this whole thread and no one mentioned the mandolin in the wedding scene in "The Godfather?"
    Huh. Maybe it's not random enough? I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere, like in "Mandolins In The Movies" or some such. There are several times mandolin appears in the scene, like when Johnny Fontaine gets up to sing. Lord knows I included "The Godfather Love Theme" in my Italian restaurant gig repertoire, as it fits the mandolin so well, and also being so memorable and recognizable. And beautiful.

Last edited by journeybear; May-21-2023 at 10:34am. Reason: getting things right
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

2. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Yes, David, if the name Giovanni Vicari has not been dropped into this thread, that is a most egregious omission. So let us drop it now. Maestro Giovanni Vicari, is the Mandolin player in the wedding band in the Godfather.
    Thanx, David.

Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

4. The following members say thank you to mandopops for this post:

Blog Entries

David did drop the name into his post, so you can drop it.

Just kidding around. Ah, puns! And anyway, that's not why I'm here now. I see David referenced an old post of mine, from which the video I mentioned containing a mandolin being played in a stage orchestra has been removed. So I found another youtube clip of the same performance (The Late Late Show, 10/4/22), and am reposting it, with the explanation thereunto appertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Catching up on recent talk shows, I saw this appearance by the touring company of "Oklahoma" on The Late Late Show with James Corden. There's a mandolin in the "orchestra," screen right, and you can actually hear it. It's being played a bit differently than "normal," in a very stage-y fashion - it's synched with the pizzicato violin and other instruments - but it's interesting, and a pleasant surprise.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

6. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Just catching up on this thread, have to say I love that painting of Artemisia. Thanks for posting that.

A couple years ago I found the vocal scores for Fiddler On The Roof as well as South Pacific (David’s post brought this to mind). Great fun playing those tunes just for reading practice and because the melodies are awesome and nostalgic.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

8. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I see David referenced an old post of mine, from which the video I mentioned containing a mandolin being played in a stage orchestra has been removed. So I found another youtube clip of the same performance (The Late Late Show, 10/4/22), and am reposting it, with the explanation thereunto appertaining.
    Why that's great!

Like I said, I played in pro orchestras twice for productions of "Oklahoma" - but this version looks like even more fun!

I really like the country and western arrangement for the music. Particularly the steel guitar and mandolin. BTW, I see a conductor and to my eye, it looks like the band is playing live.

I found another video - it appears that the band is on stage at times:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mandopops View Post
    Yes, David, if the name Giovanni Vicari has not been dropped into this thread, that is a most egregious omission. So let us drop it now. Maestro Giovanni Vicari, is the Mandolin player in the wedding band in the Godfather.
    Thanx, David.

Joe B
    And it's a pleasure to hear from you - one of Vicari's students, to boot.

10. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Blog Entries

Yes, it was live. Mandolin in a touring orchestra - a rare, delightful occurence.

In your clip, the mandolin gets short shrift visually, seen briefly only at 1:55, 2:34, and 2:52. Yes, I was looking for it, getting frustrated.

12. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Vinnie the P cranking Zep on what looks like a Portuguese Mandola from "The Fall of the House of Usher"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vpmandola.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	207733
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    Vinnie the P cranking Zep on what looks like a Portuguese Mandola from "The Fall of the House of Usher"

Name:	vpmandola.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	207733
    Good catch! I haven’t seen that movie since the 60’s, gotta watch it again now. Surely don’t remember that scene.

- YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

So this is cool. I am a big fan of all things rat pack. So one thing that is sometimes fruitful is to just google something you have interest in, with the added word mandolin, and see what comes up.

So I tried "Joey Bishop Mandolin" and got this:

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Good catch! I haven’t seen that movie since the 60’s, gotta watch it again now. Surely don’t remember that scene.
    they've been running the old Roger Corman horror, Roderic Usher plays the instrument in more than one scene, he explains he composes the music he plays, there are actual sounds though it is very low and sounds somewhat like a loosely strung guitar.
    The film was produced in 1960, so he probably wasn't playing Zepplin, but he may have been playing Bill Monroe.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

What kind of mandolin did Dickens's David Copperfield play? Found this in Copperfield's room on a visit with Mr. Micawber (from the 1999 BBC production):

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 7.31.43 PM copy.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	207748

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    So this is cool. I am a big fan of all things rat pack. So one thing that is sometimes fruitful is to just google something you have interest in, with the added word mandolin, and see what comes up.

That looks like he might be playing the song for real...or at least a really good synch, as the fingerings seem to match.

21. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Ranald 

Is that some kind of primitive 4 string banjolin hanging on the wall (probably a good place for it) in Joey B's closet?
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

re; Joey Bishop (Post #284)

That looks like he might be playing the song for real...or at least a really good synch, as the fingerings seem to match.
    It certainly looks like he's playing. I suspect that the mandolin story became part of the show because Joey already played the instrument. For those who missed the sixties, the tune is "Never on Sunday," a Greek pop tune and movie theme that quickly crossed borders. It's a great tune for mandolin, one of the first I learned by ear. "Never on Sunday" is also a tune that's stood the test of time. I still hear it now and then, played by live bands or individual musicians.

Perhaps that's a a banjo-uke on the wall.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    For those who missed the sixties, the tune is "Never on Sunday," a Greek pop tune and movie theme that quickly crossed borders. It's a great tune for mandolin, one of the first I learned by ear. "Never on Sunday" is also a tune that's stood the test of time. I still hear it now and then, played by live bands or individual musicians.
    The MN Mandolin Orchestra has that tune in its set-lists this summer! It's a fun tune to play.

25. The following members say thank you to M19 for this post:

Ranald 

re; Joey Bishop (Post #284)

It certainly looks like he's playing. I suspect that the mandolin story became part of the show because Joey already played the instrument. For those who missed the sixties, the tune is "Never on Sunday," a Greek pop tune and movie theme that quickly crossed borders. It's a great tune for mandolin, one of the first I learned by ear. "Never on Sunday" is also a tune that's stood the test of time. I still hear it now and then, played by live bands or individual musicians.

Perhaps that's a a banjo-uke on the wall.
    Joey’s playing has been mentioned here in the past but not sure whether that clip’s been posted before, I hadn’t seen it before, but have seen pics of him with it. A few years ago his mandolin came up for auction and was discussed here.

With the Lennon Sisters

Name:	IMG_5795.jpeg 
Views:	775 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	207761

- YouTube Stuff

27. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Ranald 

from the film "Hannibal Rising" -the very gruesome fishing butcher scene, not sure the tune he is playing sounds Baroque, he is playing Elizabeth Cotton Left handed, not sure if the director intended that or just didn't know the difference

Name:	hannibal-mandolin.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	481.3 KB 
ID:	208054
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

Should have plugged in that EM-150! That would have really wowed 'em!

... the tune is "Never on Sunday," a Greek pop tune and movie theme that quickly crossed borders. It's a great tune for mandolin, one of the first I learned by ear. "Never on Sunday" is also a tune that's stood the test of time.
    I included it in my Italian restaurant gig, along with other not-strictly Italian numbers, like "Lara's Theme" (from "Dr. Zhivago), "Yerakina" (a greek folk tune), and even "Blue Bayou" (the bartender's favorite), which I schmaltzed up severely.

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    Is that some kind of primitive 4 string banjolin hanging on the wall (probably a good place for it) in Joey B's closet?
    That looks like a Chinese instrument, with those tuning pegs. The short neck makes me think it's a yueqin.

Name:	Chinese Instruments.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	208055

more mandolins in horror -this looks like a Portuguese mandola to me - there is a shot of the head stock as well, the music with violin is actually very cool, Hungarian perhaps, from the movie "Queen of the Damned" from the Anne Rice inspired trilogy.

Name:	qotd-mandola-1.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	208123

Name:	qotd-mandola2.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	208124
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

I know he really played. Also, if they wanted to over dub it, they could have found a fancier, more showey television version, instead of his fairly workmanlike version.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I tune into CBS Saturday Morning as often as I can, usually just in the last half hour for the restaurant feature (today, Connecticut's Rowayton Seafood, looks fabulous, though $34 for a lobster roll, however good ... ) and the music, which ends the show, because you never know, and there are times ... Today was one such.

Someone I'd never heard of: Charles Wesley Godwin, with a good strong voice, good songs, and a killer band. There was a guy playing mandolin in the first song (why I'm here), though it wasn't heard much. The main lead instrument was a banjo, and the fellow had an enormous pedal board. I couldn't figure why, but reasoned that he played other instruments and needed all that gear for them.

Sure enough, for the second song he switched to pedal steel, and the mandolin guy switched to acoustic guitar, and the acoustic guitar switched to electric. He took a nice solo in the middle, and then got a bit wild toward the end, rocking out formidably. At the midpoint, the acoustic guitar switched back to mandolin, and while he spent some time in front, he just played chords. And the pedal steel switched back to banjo, getting down with the lead singer for a rave-up ending.

They got a rare third song, which was much quieter, back to basic instrumentation - no mandolin, three acoustic guitars. Still no idea why that pedal board was there. He must play electric guitar too in live shows, maybe fiddle. All in all, a pretty good performance. I might not go out of my way to include Charles Wesley Godwin in my life, but I'll be keeping an eye and ear out for him. And that's what I love about this show - it introduces some good talent pretty often.

33. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Lucas 

Blog Entries

Don't worry, I'll get there. But first ...

I hope some of you saw the Willie Nelson's 90th Birthday Celebration on CBS tonight. Some great stuff from some great artists. Some puzzlements, though, not unexpectedly. First and foremost was Mickey Raphael hanging out onstage the entire time, playing his harmonica inaudibly, for the most part. The first time he got some serious playing time in was over a half hour in, when he took a ride during Gary Clark Jr's rendition of "Texas Flood." That was another question mark, as every song up till then had been clearly associated with Willie, either by writing or recording it (often both). Yes, Willie recorded it ("on 2000's "Milk Cow Blues," a collection of mostly duests with all kinds of people), but this is one of Stevie Ray Vaughan's signature songs, even though he didn't write it. There were other songs he could have done. Anyway, I don't understand why Mickey was on stage all that time, regardless of lead performer or genre, and not contributing much. Perhaps he was getting paid by the minute for his onscreen time. On some songs he was just standing there. I don't get it.

Thank goodness there was some MC, even if it didn't come until about 40 minutes into the two-hour broadcast. It was during The Chicks' take on "Bloody Mary Morning," but it was played by a backing musician, not Martie, who was playing fiddle. Still, it was good to see it even once. I don't think there's a whole lot of mandolin in Willie's music (not until his recent "Bluegrass" album, anyway). I wasn't expecting to see any, so I'm glad I did.

Anyway, lots of good stuff from a lot of people. Worth seeking out wherever it shows up streaming. Paramount+, I think.

Blog Entries

Just now while watching Jeopardy, in the category "Tempera-mental Artists" (seriously - artists working in tempera), a clue came up concerning this work by Masaccio. The appearance of two mandolinesque instruments (most likely lutes) grabbed my attention.

Name:	Masaccio.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	211776

" Madonna Baby Butt Wipe".
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

Huh? Did that really need to be said? What purpose does that serve? Gross.