Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Random mandolin sightings

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Random mandolin sightings

The series is interesting to me and has quite a few historical figures represented. I don’t know the answer to your question, but my hunch is that the writer(s) would know that Capone was an amateur musician and that the mandolin is an Italian instrument that could represent his musicianship, I don’t think his playing one is coincidental, just not strictly historically accurate.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

2. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Yep, pretty much how I figure it. I don't have HBO, so I haven't seen the show, though I hear good things about it. Anyway, it's nice of them to choose this method of showing his human side. Which, again, we here know, from having seen the song he wrote for his mother.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Well, it happened again - "Mandolin" appeared as a clue on Jeopardy! today. What sets this apart from most of its appearances on the show is the contestant guessed right! Maybe that's because the clue was actually referring to the kitchen implement, but hey - I'll take it!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Leland Sklar is touring with Lyle Lovett’s Large Band (double billed with Chris Isaak on some of the tour). At recent stops he’s done a walking tour of the venue and on today’s tour at McMenamin’s Edgefield east of Portland, Oregon one of the players he encountered was Jeff White who was tuning up his mandolin. It’s a brief shot but go to 3:50 in the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWiWuSW6PCY
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

6. The following members say thank you to Kenny for this post:

Blog Entries

Catching up on recent talk shows, I saw this appearance by the touring company of "Oklahoma" on The Late Late Show with James Corden. There's a mandolin in the "orchestra," screen right, and you can actually hear it. It's being played a bit differently than "normal," in a very stage-y fashion - it's synched with the pizzicato violin and other instruments - but it's interesting, and a pleasant surprise.

I'll also include this brilliant bit worked up by the cast and the show's crew to do a take-off on the title song as a tongue-in-cheek tribute to Mila Kunis, a guest on the show. Hi-larious hi-jinks ensue - and I had to chuckle at the "Nebraska" T-shirt worn by one of the performers.

In last Sunday's Premier crossword puzzle, 8-across was "guitars cousin", i.e. "mandolin".
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

9. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Blog Entries

OK, this is a bit of a stretch, but I don't know where else to put it. So, on today's Jeopardy, one of the contestants mentioned in the interview segment that his grandma had learned late in life how to play the banjo, and formed a bluegrass band called The Hootin' Annies. (Cute name.) I dug around and found them, hoping to see a mandolin. Nope. A five-piece band without a mandolin. Guitar, bass, fiddle, banjo, even a dobro - but no mandolin. Oh well! I've only been able to find one video, and they sound all right, like they're having fun.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

The Hootin' Annies are from the Kansas City area and are very entertaining. They are not to be confused with the Irish band of the same name, which is what comes up on the search engine.

Blog Entries

Thanks! I neglected to mention that. Funny, they came right up for me - probably because I had "bluegrass" as a search parameter.

Blog Entries

Outside of my mandolin/music life, and work, I do a considerable amount of reading. It fits in between and around everything scheduled.

I just started Cormac McCarthy’s latest novels, The Passenger, and Stella Maris. Not usual for me to read something so contemporary, but these came so highly recommended. The two novels are connected, though not exactly sequential.

It turns out the lead character plays mandolin!

I have only just started The Passenger, and I don’t figure the mandolin plays much if any part in the story except to supply back story portraying our hero as a talented, smart guy with diverse interests, (and excellent taste).

“Well, actually the first time I ever saw him was at the Club Fifty-Two out on the Asheville Highway. He was up on the stage playing the mandolin with the band. Bluegrass. I’d never met him but I knew who he was.”

I thought it was a cool mandolin sighting. If there is more mandolin in these books please don’t post any spoilers. I really like Cormac McCarthy’s writing, and especially being surprised and delighted by the stuff he references.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I recently finished reading Montefiore's Young Stalin, a bloody biography of someone and someplace as foreign to me as the planet Dune. An introductory mention of Vyacheslav Molotov,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the-strangler-of-millions-why-so-called-vyacheslav-molotov.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	206011

he of the murderous purges and after whom was named that well known incendiary device, Montefiore makes note of the fact (p. 239) that, as a "stolid and bespectacled Bolshevik" just back from exile, "he earned one rouble a day by playing mandolin for rich merchants and their molls in the local restaurant and in the new cinema." Apparently, music wasn't enough to sooth that savage beast.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Bartl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

This oft-misquoted quotation of Congreve is correctly, "Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast." I'm not here to interpret the meaning thereof, merely to keep this much straight. That said, perhaps in this case both "beast" and "breast" are apropos, as the man in question was indeed, by many accounts, a savage beast. Indeed, no amount of music might have been sufficient to soothe, in his case.

The part of this that doth confuse me, is that he was playing mandolin. One would think it would have been balalaika or perhaps domra. I wonder how common mandolins would have been in Russia at the time. Yet if that is what the book says, thus it must be, forsooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    I recently finished reading Montefiore's Young Stalin, a bloody biography of someone and someplace as foreign to me as the planet Dune. An introductory mention of Vyacheslav Molotov, he of the murderous purges and after whom was named that well known incendiary device, Montefiore makes note of the fact (p. 239) that, as a "stolid and bespectacled Bolshevik" just back from exile, "he earned one rouble a day by playing mandolin for rich merchants and their molls in the local restaurant and in the new cinema." Apparently, music wasn't enough to sooth that savage beast.
    He didn't invent the device, by the way. They were invented during the Spanish Civil War in the mid-1930s. Way I heard it, Molotov was known for his drinking (which took some doing in Stalin's Kremlin). He was Soviet foreign minister during the attack on Finland in 1939, and Finnish troops launching the weapon against invading tanks would sometimes yell "Here's a cocktail for ya, Molotov!" or words to that effect in Finnish.

Blog Entries

That would be "tässä on koktaili sinulle, Molotov," if anyone is wondering.

20. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

I recently finished reading Montefiore's Young Stalin, a bloody biography of someone and someplace as foreign to me as the planet Dune. An introductory mention of Vyacheslav Molotov,

he of the murderous purges and after whom was named that well known incendiary device, Montefiore makes note of the fact (p. 239) that, as a "stolid and bespectacled Bolshevik" just back from exile, "he earned one rouble a day by playing mandolin for rich merchants and their molls in the local restaurant and in the new cinema." Apparently, music wasn't enough to sooth that savage beast.
    Not mandolin related but Molotov related: I am reading "The Nazi COnspiracy" and was just looking at a Pic of Stalin, Molotov and Joseph Davies (U.S. Envoy) this morning!

Blog Entries

I remember (I think) something about this, I read it somewhere.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I know it's not uncommon for mandolin to be used in country music. But still, I was a bit surprised - albeit pleased and thrilled - to hear the introduction of Dierks Bentley's song on The Tonight Show Monday night, especially the mention of the guest artist, and furthermore, the opening closeup shot of a well-worn vintage F-5 mandolin being expertly played by Sam Bush. Fine musicianship abounds throughout the performance, including some nice doubling near the end between mandolin and guitar. And to top it all off, Jimmy Fallon mentioned Sam by name as many times as Dierks. Respect!

Name:	Hoss Up Close.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	305.8 KB 
ID:	206360

Blog Entries

Paying attention pays off, sometimes ... sort of ...

In today's Jeopardy, the third clue in the game, also in the category, "Possessive Lit" (book titles that contain a name in the possessive case), was this:

Name:	Possessive Lit.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	206725

The contestant who rang in answered correctly, led most of the game, but failed in Final Jeopardy. Oh well!

Who is Corelli's?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Who is Corelli's?
    Added: My mistake you were answering the question, not asking a question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZHZ...isthemoviegood

Apparently, the mandolin isn't important enough to include in the trailer!
    Last edited by Ranald; Mar-22-2023 at 7:25pm.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Blog Entries

Actually, in the context of the game - not the book - the correct response is "Who is Corelli?"

I've not read the book nor seen the movie, but I have seen it mentioned that in the plot, the mandolin is not a major player - so to speak.

28. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Apparently, the mandolin isn't important enough to include in the trailer!
    It's there at about 1:01.

The movie was a tremendous disappointment -- it covers about 10 pages of 500 page book.

The book not only has "some" mando content, but a bit of bouzouki as well. I'm currently re-reading it after about 20 years.
    Bob

30. The following members say thank you to redietz for this post:

I just ran across this photo in today's news. There's no mention of mandolins in the article though.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...s-nl-1.6777323
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Blog Entries

OK, it's actually a lute, but in the $600 clue in the category "Art And Artists" on Monday's Jeopardy Masters Episode #9, a casual glance while concentrating on the wording of the clue - "Her accomplished use of this technique of light & shadow made Artemisia Gentileschi a masterful talent of the Baroque era" - gave me the impression it was a mandolin. That area of the painting is dark, as, after all, she was engaging her mastery of chiaroscuro. And for art history buffs, researching revealed what you probably already know - that she was one of the first successful female artists, and was highly regarded, even in her time. I had not heard of her before this. Good old Jeopardy!

Name:	Artemisia_Gentileschi_-_Self-Portrait_as_a_Lute_Player.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	207662

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    ....by the touring company of "Oklahoma" .....There's a mandolin in the "orchestra,..... it's synched with the pizzicato violin and other instruments .
    Thanks for posting.

That brings back memories.

When I was doing AFM professional theater music work in the late 70's and 1980's, I played "Oklahoma" for two different productions.

I played the guitar and banjo book. The score did NOT have any mandolin in it at all. But it did have some cool parts for banjo (tenor in my case) mixed with the violins.

One show I played that did have mandolin was "Camelot".

I never played "Fiddler on the Roof" which does have mandolin - I wish I had played that.

https://liberalarts.tulane.edu/summe...season-history

"1988 - Oklahoma"

http://www.stageclick.com/show/747.aspx

'Oklahoma!
    Tulane - Dixon Hall 6/16/1988 - 6/19/1988"

One other thing...

I scanned this whole thread and no one mentioned the mandolin in the wedding scene in "The Godfather"?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...iovanni-Vicari

'Yes, indeed he is in the wedding band in "The Godfather". He is plain as day because he keeps peeking his head around the Music stand to get in camera shots. He is playing the Martin Mandolin I mentioned earlier."

"Interesting why Coppola chose a NY-based mandolin player for the wedding band instead of tapping into the Italo-mando scene that must have still been pretty vibrant close to home in SF at the time. Tony Flores might have been too tall. But I guess the wedding was supposed to be held out on Long Island (which if it was filmed 'on location' pretty much explains it...)
    "

"if this is the Giovanni Vicari Who played mandolin in the wedding scene from "The Godfather" then yes I knew him. I studied classical guitar with him in the 70's his primary instrument was the mandolin."
    Last edited by DavidKOS; May-20-2023 at 11:15pm.