Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Random mandolin sightings

Default Re: Random mandolin sightings

My favorite verse to The Underground Rail-Car:

Now I've heard Queen Victoria say, that if I would forsake
    My native land of slavery, and go across the lake,
    That she'd be waiting on that shore, with arms extended wide
    To give us all a peaceful home beyond the flowing tide.

Also apologizing, Ranald, for George Allen's referring to Canada as "that cold and dreary land."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post

Also apologizing, Ranald, for George Allen's referring to Canada as "that cold and dreary land."
    Well, I won't kill the messenger. Quite a few Canadian songs express the same sentiments. In fact, I just came in from a walk in the woods, after walking across an open field into the north wind at -12 Celsius (10.4F) to get there. That felt cold -- sunny though, not dreary. When we Canadians aren't complaining about Americans thinking it's always cold up here, we're griping about the cold. But you live in Rochester, so you know something about cold winters and hot summers. It's not that different across the lake. Rockabilly, Ronnie Hawkins claims that his father in Arkansas warned him, before he moved to Ontario, "Canada had ten months of winter and two months of poor sledding."

In case you're interested, here's a short interview with a Colchester, Ontario farmer (near Windsor and Detroit) whose grandfather escaped from slavery. I met and interviewed Fred Johnson, circa 1990. He was a fine, warm-hearted man. This isn't the interview I did though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro09...gFreedomMuseum
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

3. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Blog Entries

I stumbled across some album launch blurb for a London band I hadn't heard of before yesterday, called "Forty Elephant Gang" . They have some good songs and a good mandolin player, which is the main interest I had.
    Thought they may be of interest here

https://fortyelephantgang.bandcamp.com/releases

https://soundcloud.com/forty-elephant-gang

bit closer on the mandolin player here;
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

5. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I love those chords! Thanks for sharing Beanzy

The MonaLisa Twins use a Fender 4-string electric in this nicely done cover of the Kinks "Lola""

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYWMWWprKgs

The video starts out with a nice shot of the mando being played, and it can be clearly heard for the first 30 seconds or so.
    You can hear it again in the quieter part starting a 2:20, and it's shown again at 2:28.

Aside from the mando part, I thought this was quite a fun video, showing bits of all the different tracks that went into the final product.

8. The following members say thank you to Alfons for this post:

Ranald 

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

This is very random, and is not a sighting per se but a hearing, and in fact a sort of mis-hearing ... But it provided a chuckle, and I wanted to share it, but not start a thread just on account of this account, so ...

Watching a recent episode of The Tonight Show last night, in the middle of an interview segment with Chrissy Teigen, I heard the word "mandolin." I stopped my concurrent web-surfing and paid full attention to the following story. Quite amusing, in the end. Oh, the time frame - the show's on-demand repeats go back a month, hence the Super Bowl connection. Enjoy!

PS: She now uses Kevlar gloves when using the device. Safety first!

Note: due to copyright restrictions, my edited version of the video can't be seen. But if you go to this private link, perhaps it will work. https://youtu.be/YuNONrDG-X4 Or the link below will let you download it. I think that's how it works.

Here is the full video. Scoot ahead to four minutes in to skip the non-MC chat.

Attached Files Attached Files
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

And now for something completely different ...

The Tonight Show has a recurring bit called "Do Not Play." Jimmy Fallon trots out a few examples of terrible music, supposedly actual recordings, with the unifying theme that they are so awful they should be avoided. I've had my doubts whether they are real - even though he always opens the bit by insisting they're real - and the fact is, whenever I've checked, I've found they are indeed real.

This episode from last week was a bit different, in that the last example was from a group I know exists, Portsmouth Sinfonia, or existed - they haven't performed since 1979. They were known for being, ah, untrained, sometimes even playing instruments they had never played before. This was most true on their debut album, which was what was presented in the bit. The selection was "Blue Danube Waltz." I've no idea why he picked on them, the album being from over forty years ago. But I suspect it was to set up a response from The Roots, who took a stab at the same piece on instruments they had never played before.

The reason this is being offered for your amusement/perusement is the percussionist took up a mandolin. First time for everything. You can hardly hear it, amid the resultant cacophony. If you haven't the patience for the whole bit (understandable), skip ahead to about 5:00.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    And now for something completely different ...

The Tonight Show has a recurring bit called "Do Not Play." Jimmy Fallon trots out a few examples of terrible music, supposedly actual recordings, with the unifying theme that they are so awful they should be avoided. I've had my doubts whether they are real - even though he always opens the bit by insisting they're real - and the fact is, whenever I've checked, I've found they are indeed real.

This episode from last week was a bit different, in that the last example was from a group I know exists, Portsmouth Sinfonia, or existed - they haven't performed since 1979. They were known for being, ah, untrained, sometimes even playing instruments they had never played before. This was most true on their debut album, which was what was presented in the bit. The selection was "Blue Danube Waltz." I've no idea why he picked on them, the album being from over forty years ago. But I suspect it was to set up a response from The Roots, who took a stab at the same piece on instruments they had never played before.

The reason this is being offered for your amusement/perusement is the percussionist took up a mandolin. First time for everything. You can hardly hear it, amid the resultant cacophony. If you haven't the patience for the whole bit (understandable), skip ahead to about 5:00.
    As this is a thread about "random mandolin sightings" I am okay with this video as I would be "okay" with a video about destroying Emberghers and Lloyd Loar mandolins.

But looking at the content of the video I am deeply aggravated. The seemingly comical aspect of the clip does indicate a deep disrespect concerning acoustic musicianship. Why do I say this. In all other cases in this clip only the musical aspect is ridiculed (for whatever reason...). Yet when it comes to acoustic instruments, they too are being ridiculed when the band musicians do not know how to play the instrument (or to pretend not to know how to).

I remember one time when I showed up at a jazz jam session. When I entered the stage I was frowned upon because my mandolin didnīt plug in. I was asked why I didnīt have a proper instrument. I told them that Iīd show them how proper my Strad-O-Lin is if theyīd show me that they can mix it down properly. That drew some dirty looks from them. When I played Caravan and Autumn Leaves I had them shut up. Is it not entirely sad how predjudiced the average music presenter/comedian is. They seemingly have the intelectual broadband of a 54k modem when it comes to music...

To give credit... on the same show there was this Sturgill Simpson clip with Sierra Hull (and your All-Star-Band...) but when you watch the clip to the end youīll still catch some rap crap...
    Olaf

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grassrootphilosopher For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    As this is a thread about "random mandolin sightings" I am okay with this video as I would be "okay" with a video about destroying Emberghers and Lloyd Loar mandolins.
    I'm sure you're exaggerating for emphasis. You wouldn't really be OK with that. Who would be? This isn't anywhere near that level of destruction. I'll grant the musician (I misspoke; he's the bass player) is completely inept on the mandolin, and we are fortunate his efforts are inaudible. But the instrument is not in physical danger, just musical.

But looking at the content of the video I am deeply aggravated. The seemingly comical aspect of the clip does indicate a deep disrespect concerning acoustic musicianship. Why do I say this. In all other cases in this clip only the musical aspect is ridiculed (for whatever reason...). Yet when it comes to acoustic instruments, they too are being ridiculed when the band musicians do not know how to play the instrument (or to pretend not to know how to).
    It IS a comedy bit, not a musical showcase. But the instruments are not being ridiculed; it is the band members who are being ridiculed, as they are shown to be unable to play even this simple melody on instruments with which they are unfamiliar. How much musicianship should that require from professional musicians? That is the level of comedy here - a pretty low bar, to which they cannot rise. Sadly, there is a lot of this tendency to ridicule in comedy these days, which is more demeaning than it should be; it is ridicule more than comedy, and it is indeed demeaning. They might have been more successful in their efforts had they been given more time to familiarize themselves with the instruments they were given. But then, viewers would have had less to laugh at. And that was the point - ridicule, substituting for humor.

Given how you feel about this, you would loathe another bit that appears on the show infrequently (thank goodness), in which the host and a guest have to play a randomly selected song on a randomly selected unfamiliar instrument, in turn, and the other has to try to identify the song. It can be excruciating.

To give credit... on the same show there was this Sturgill Simpson clip with Sierra Hull (and your All-Star-Band...) but when you watch the clip to the end youīll still catch some rap crap...
    I'm not following you here. This is the same show, but not the same episode. And what you hear at the end of the clip is unrelated to the performance. That's a bit of the house band playing a typical groove, added post-production for continuity's sake, to potentially induce listeners (presumably fans of the show) to linger and watch another clip. I'll not disagree with you about the genre, more or less, but the usage there is irrelevant. That bit of business will appear regardless of whatever music had just been played on any video clip.

That said, I also disagree with the high praise the band (The Roots) gets from not only the host (typical) but also guests. They're good at what they do, but nearly all the time they play pretty much the same 4/4 mid-tempo groove while the vocalist raps. Not much variety, however solid they are. They are not "the greatest band in late night," as the host likes to say. That is Jon Batiste and Stay Human, on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert," although the band on "The Late Late Show with James Corden" has its moments, when they're not goofing around.

What is even more salt in the wound is that at 5:25 Jimmy identifies the mandolin as a "banjo"!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

OMG! I missed that. ĄAy caramba!

...the last example was from a group I know exists, Portsmouth Sinfonia, or existed - they haven't performed since 1979. They were known for being, ah, untrained, sometimes even playing instruments they had never played before...
    Perhaps the Portsmouth Sinfoinia may make more sense when put in the contect that one of the luminaries involved in their rise without trace was Brian Eno, he of the 'Alternative Strategies' (hmm, or was that Mr Fripp?), and one of the outside influences inside the band Roxy Music which made it so unusual. There used to be an amateur symphonic group in Edinburgh, Scotland called The Really Terrible Orchestra, billed by themselves as 'the cream of Edinburgh's musically disadvantaged'. The point there was that this was an orchestra of adult beginners and returners, and why shouldn't they go out and strut their stuff? I'm a great fan of 'It doesn't have to be good to be good', and to prove it here's the Falmouth (UK) Marine Band, an assembly dedicated to the joys of making a mighty noise...

Blog Entries

I always got a chuckle out of Ron Thomasson, lead singer and mandolin picker (yes, MC) of Dry Branch Fire Squad, host band of Winterhawk (now Frey Fox) Bluegrass Festival, saying "we ain't good, but we're loud." He was being intentionally facetious. But there have been plenty of "musical" conglomerations over the years who took that to heart and put it into action, sans irony.

I think Portsmouth Sinfonia and similar outfits decided to practice inclusion where their membership and mission were concerned. Why let musicianship and musicality (or a lack thereof) stand in the way of people having a good time? It seems enough people felt similarly; PS put out three albums and a single, and even played at the Royal Albert Hall.

Blog Entries

If anyone was watching Jeopardy tonight, which was the second semi-final contest of the Tournament of Champions, you surely noticed the $1200 clue in the category "Rock Bands" in the Double Jeopardy round. It was a visual, with a photo of Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart, and the clue was, "Seen here is the core of this band that's been rocking for decades." Nancy had a nice shiny F model and a big smile. For once, a contestant got a mandolin-related clue right - though the question wasn't directly related to the instrument, so the odds were in her favor. Oh, and since she was so brilliant, [spoiler alert] she ended up winning the round and advancing to the finals. This is further proof that mandolins make the world better in so many ways.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heart On Jeopardy 20210525.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	346.6 KB 
ID:	194363

19. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

Yesterday was Bob Dylan's 80th birthday. Part of my commemoration was watching a documentary about his early days, from Hibbing to Greenwich Village to Newport, in a manner of speaking. The footage of Greenwich Village included loads of guitars, a few banjos, and occasional glimpses of mandolins. Soon after arriving, and until he improved his situation, Dylan went around to the pass-the-basket places - no pay, pass a tip basket around after your set. This is a still from one of those places. No idea who the other two are. Nice mandolin, though.

Name:	Dylan Greenwich Village.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	194370

Blog Entries

Also, I was reminded of the existence of this early tape of Dylan jamming with Eric Von Schmidt, sometime in early 1964. It's pretty loosey-goosey, and I have reason to believe some imbibing of spirits was involved. But the earliest recording of "Mr. Tambourine Man" is in here, at about the 33:00 mark. It's still being worked on, as some lyrics have changed since then. Eric does a nice job of fitting in some harmonica fills on it, despite it being his first time hearing it. Overall, the sound quality is rough, and so are some of the performances. But there is a lot of joie de vivre as well, which carries the day.

This photo is not from this session; no idea where or when it's from. It made a brief appearance in the documentary, too. I believe it had been used for the video because it includes the two main mischief-makers. That's Richard Fariņa in the middle of the picture, playing harmonica. And Eric is on the right, playing mandolin - the reason for this post. His 90th birthday is coming up Friday, though he left us in 2007.

Name:	Bob Dylan And Eric Von Schmidt.jpg 
Views:	834 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	194372

22. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Dylan performs in London in 1978.

Name:	London1978.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	242.2 KB 
ID:	194373

24. The following members say thank you to Jacob for this post:

Blog Entries

Cool. Research indicates David Mansfield played mandolin and violin on the tour. He was a veteran of the Rolling Thunder Revue tours in 1975 and 1976.

26. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Jacob 

...No idea who the other two are. Nice mandolin, though.

Name:	Dylan Greenwich Village.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	194370
    I'm gonna say Ralph Rinzler and John Herald, two-thirds of the Greenbriar Boys.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

28. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Blog Entries

Aha! That makes sense. They got mentioned a few times. I figured they had to be fairly well established for him to have such a nice mandolin. Most musicians in the Village were struggling along at the time. Thanks!

30. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I'm gonna say Ralph Rinzler and John Herald, two-thirds of the Greenbriar Boys.
    Yes!

Itīs Ralph Rinzler, Bob Dylan, and John Herald at the Gaslight Cafe, Greenwich Village, NY in 1962 (picture by John Cohen = New Lost City Ramblers).

This is from the classic, vibrant period in New York when some people took the helm and helped the world to listen to really great music. Like: Doc Watson an Jean Richie Live at Gerdeīs Folk City.

Ralph Rinzler (manager of Bill Monroe at some time and instrumental to Bill Monroeīs musical "comeback"; "discovered" Doc Watson; responsible for David "Dawg" Grismanīs start in bluegrass etc.; passed on after 1991 due to HIV/Aids). John Herald (great singer and guitarist; unfortunately never gained the deserved recognition and is presumed to have taken his life in 2005)
    Olaf

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grassrootphilosopher For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

This was definitely random - the appearance of a mandolin in The Tonight Show's Random Instrument Challenge, in which Jimmy Fallon and a guest (in this case, Tina Fey) take turns attempting to get The Roots to guess the name of random songs they're performing on instruments they've never played before. I noticed the mandolin right away - a Pac-Rim F model. And Jimmy picked it for his first song - The Proclaimers' "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)." He plays guitar, so I figured he'd manage all right. He didn't. It was godawful. In his defense, he said it wasn't tuned - and I think he was right. All he could manage was a rough equivalent of the rhythm, and with some heavy prompting, Questlove actually guessed correctly.

So ... mixed feelings. Nice to see it, and have it be included, but disappointed (putting it mildly) with the way it sounded. And seriously - Jimmy plays guitar fairly well. He's done bits with Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen in which he dresses like them, sings a verse of one of their songs in an imitative manner, and then the real guy comes out and joins him. These skits are brilliant, and he does all right on guitar in them. One would think he could have correlated his experience to this. Not so much.

It starts at about 1:15. But the best part may be the mandolin's appearance in the thumbnail.

Mandolin background music from TV series "Expedition Unknown", 2017 episode s5e3 "Origins Of Stonehenge". Unfortunately the host is talking over the music except for the first 4 seconds of the clip. No idea who's playing but I wouldn't mind finding out so I could look up more of their stuff, as what I can hear of it here sounds pretty nice.

At least I think that's an actual mandolin. But for all I know maybe it could be some super-high-quality synthesized/sampled thing played on a keyboard or something (doubtful, but ya never know these days - without being able to see it as it's being played it's hard to know what sorts of digital trickery may have been used in creating the sound). I like the sound though, whoever/whatever created it. I didn't see any band/musician credits listed.

Attachment for above mp3 player:
    mando-tv.mp3

35. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Blog Entries

It sounds pretty real to me. There's some technology involved in the recording and production of it, but not the creation, to my ears.

37. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Watching Rhapsody in Blue. The Gershwin biopic. Just saw someone playing what appeared to be a Lyon and Healy during"Somebody Loves Me". At the end of the solo he just slid it across the floor!! About 45 minutes in.

39. The following members say thank you to Tom Hart for this post: