Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Random mandolin sightings

Default Re: Random mandolin sightings

All my life I've heard and liked that tinkly little opening to The Beach Boys' "Wouldn't It Be Nice," and only today did I learn (courtesy of The Wrecking Crew group on Facebook) that it was played by Barney Kessel, on a Gibson electric 12 string mandolin (!) Here's a pic of him holding it: https://bit.ly/3itIK5U

2. The following members say thank you to Gina Willis for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Very nice - but only part right. It's an electric half-neck 12-string guitar - it's pitched higher but still tuned like a guitar. These were invented so guitarists could produce mandolinny sounds without having to learn how to play another instrument. Sort of the same dynamic is in play with banjolins for some of us'n's - being able to sound like a banjo while playing a "mandolin." I first encountered these mini-guitars during Lucinda Williams' "Car Wheels" tour in 1998-99, when one of her guitarists used one on a song or two.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Very nice - but only part right. It's an electric half-neck 12-string guitar - it's pitched higher but still tuned like a guitar. These were invented so guitarists could produce mandolinny sounds without having to learn how to play another instrument. Sort of the same dynamic is in play with banjolins for some of us'n's - being able to sound like a banjo while playing a "mandolin." I first encountered these mini-guitars during Lucinda Williams' "Car Wheels" tour in 1998-99, when one of her guitarists used one on a song or two.
    Gold tone actually makes one of these: https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldt...struments/f-12

They have a six string and an electric version as well. Here's a video of a six string:

Blog Entries

Soprano guitar - that's a shorter way of saying it.

Gold Tone does offer a wide variety of, ah, different instruments.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

All right ... So I'm watching a documentary about Roy Orbison - "Roy Orbison Forever" - on one of my PBS stations, and while they're talking about his early days, in Wink, Texas (don't wink while you're driving through or you'll miss it ), and his first band, the Wink Westerners, which later became the Teen Kings, my eye caught what looked like a mandolin in a photograph of the band. No, it couldn't be. A few seconds later, another photo, and sure enough - eight tuning pegs. I couldn't believe it. I went a-googling, and found very little. I did learn the player's name is James Morrow, though I couldn't find anything about his instrument or subsequent career, if any. I did find two photos and an album cover. And when googling his name, right there on the top row of hits is his entry at emando.com There is about as much information on him there as anywhere, if not everywhere else. The image there is a cropped version of the second photograph. Perhaps Martin knows a bit more about him that he can share. I'm mostly curious about the brand of mandolin - it does not look like a Gibson. I've no idea what else was available in the mid-50s, especially to a teenager without a lot of money to spend. I believe The Teen Kings played on what would be Roy's first recording - they were a band, he was not a star - five songs recorded at Sun Studio, including his first hit, "Ooby Dooby," but I can't hear mandolin on it. I'm off to search for audio by them. Hope to hear mandolin on a recording with Roy Orbison. If not, well, the photos will have to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roy Orbison 1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	198075 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roy Orbison 2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	198076 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roy Orbison 3.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	198077

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

James Emitt Morrow was on the original Ooby Dooby recording on Je-Wel records as part of the Teen Kings. He grew up with Orbison and was drafted in 1958. An article mentioned he played through an Echoplex, but didn’t mention the mando name.

He passed away in 2020.

Google is your friend.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

I believe there's some mandolin on this one, providing some counterpoint.

These are the five tracks from that first recording: "Ooby Dooby," "Go Go Go," "Trying To Get To You," "Rockhouse," and "You're My Baby." You can find videos of them all on youtube. Now, they had a radio show back in West Texas, and I would think some mandolin might show up on recordings from those, being less controlled than a recording session. This clip features three songs, but aside from a brief introduction of Morrow by the MC at 3:57, I can't hear any MC.

I wonder about this one, though. The lead just sounds a little ... different.

Could be a Gibson A-40 or A-50 with an aftermarket pickup. I was thinking perhaps one of the early-'60's EM-200 "Florentine" solid-bodies, but this one seems to have f-holes. The headstock looks Gibson-ish to me.

But, as often remarked, "I could be wrong..."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Hard to see any detail. He seems to have a different one in each photo, one dark, one light.. I like how, in the posed photo, he and Roy are both playing C chords.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    ... as often remarked, "I could be wrong..."
    Oh, yes, the universal disclaimer. It's right there in my sig line. By necessity.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

https://youtu.be/msD7qqP4m6I

There was a live version of this song "Hometown Christmas" on the ABC Magical Holiday Celebration. I can't find a video of it but I remember there was a mandolin player strumming in the background.
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

Today in the Washington Post, an article about the Smithsonian’s old problem with the Wright Brothers, resulting in the first Flyer being there. Caught my eye, a case with —- a Wright mandolin!

Name:	E8F8D596-928C-4C10-98BD-762A6F9EAAEC.jpeg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	198099

14. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Okay, no mandolin on this one but, did anyone notice the guitar that was in “Yellowstone” last night?
    Waterloo, cherry back and sides, pretty guitar! I want to say “MT-5S”? I actually looked it up but, don’t remember.
    The deal was pretty cool.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

In today's episode of CBS Sunday Morning - one of my favorite shows, a true news magazine with far-ranging scope regarding its subject matter - there was a segment about retiring NIH director Francis Collins. It ended with a look at his non-scientific side, in the form of his interest in music. He plays guitar and sings, and apparently, there is a band comprising NIH workers, here shown in performance. As I often do, I was listening more than watching, taking a look around the Café. I glanced up when I heard music and saw him at the mic with his guitar, and someone behind him was playing an F-style mandolin!

Skip ahead to 7:00 for the music.

[Editor's note: In a later segment about actress Penelope Cruz, some brief scenes from her early work were shown with identifying text tags. Included was "Captain Corelli's Mandolin." Although no instrument was shown, the word appeared. As if one instance of mandolin presence weren't rare enough, a double appearance is unheard-of and nearly miraculous.]
    Last edited by journeybear; Dec-19-2021 at 10:44am. Reason: just one more thing ...

Episode 2 of Station Eleven has multiple mandolin appearances including a nice F being played in a jam around the fire

Blog Entries

I'm not sure why, but Peter Stampfel (Holy modal Rounder) posted this song last night. What a goof. But in listening to it, I could just about swear the first lead is on an electric mandolin. From 1951. That's even earlier than the previously mentioned Roy Orbison song.

Naturally, being from the start of the Cold War, I could neither confirm or deny the existence of this instrument. The identity of the band members and the nature of the instrumentation are untraceable - seemingly shrouded in secrecy. Whether this is due to obscurity or all information about them being classified, it is unable to be determined conclusively. I see that it is included in the movie, "Atomic Café." More than that, I do not know.

19. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

I don't think Jackie Doll and his Pickled Peppers were part of the Greenwich Village folk scene!
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Blog Entries

Oh, no, no, no, no, NO!!! Not stylistically, politically, nor philosophically!

Though I can't say for sure. Just because I haven't found anything about him or them on the interweb doesn't mean it ain't out there. This could have been slapdashed together just for the purpose of putting his manifesto on the airwaves. Or they could have been around for a while and this was just one of many records in a brilliant if forgotten career. I'm leaning a bit more to the former seeing as how there is such a dearth of info on him/them. The most I found was a lengthy "review" - I mean, seven paragraphs instead of the usual .5-1 - but it was all about the lyrical content, not musical, nor biographical. Well, they were odd times, both repressive and revolutionary. I'm sure a lot of people deemed it prudent to keep their personal history on the down low. "On a need-to-know basis" meant "you don't need to know."

22. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

Blog Entries

From Sam Bush's facebook page:

Stuck on a plane in Detroit, maintenance issues. Making the most of it ✈️

Name:	Sam Bush On Plane.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	201371

Those lucky passengers were treated to a first-class random mandolin sighting.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

This may have been mentioned before, but a mandolin appears in a couple episodes of season 3 of Boardwalk Empire, an HBO series about early 1900s Atlantic City. The Al Capone character is holding it in his home in one episode, and plays it in another.

The actor playing Capone strums chords and sings, then after the camera cuts away you hear a more interesting player continue while he continues singing. Pretty cool.

Season 3, episode 4 Capone plays mandolin and sings Little Buddy for his son near the end of the episode.
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Jun-06-2022 at 8:15am.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Are you sure it isn't a mandola? As has been mentioned before, several times, Al Capone played one. I don't expect the producers would know this, nor aspire to this level of historical accuracy, but it's possible ... and it's possible these instances represent more than coincidence.

Thanks Mark, nice one.

https://youtu.be/83_ptL_xTCI

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I know very well that Capone played tenor guitar & banjo, and mandola … in the gangster series Boardwalk Empire, the Capone character plays a mandolin to the best of my observations. I only saw the scene in passing, could have been a mandola.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Lyle Lovett and his band were on The Today Show this Saturday past....

Closeup at 2:38
    Last edited by Charles E.; Jun-06-2022 at 2:24pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    I know very well that Capone played tenor guitar & banjo, and mandola … in the gangster series Boardwalk Empire, the Capone character plays a mandolin to the best of my observations. I only saw the scene in passing, could have been a mandola.
    I'm sure you know that; I was wondering whether the producers or property masters knew that - without a visual reference. In that clip it sure looks and sounds like a mandolin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Lyle Lovett and his band were on The Today Show this Saturday past....
    Yes, I am well, even painfully, aware of that. But the Miami CBS affiliate decided to broadcast storm coverage, as these affiliates so often do, to a quite unnecessary and overreacting degree. So instead of seeing and hearing Lyle play, I got to see an intern standing in shin-deep street flooding. Not even knee-deep. After the storm had passed through. They could have waited till 9:00!

PS: If you go to the show's site, they have all three songs up there, plus the interview segment, which I really wanted to catch. They typically broadcast two songs, but I can see how they might have a third one left in the can.

32. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: