Thread: #7 jointer plane

I initially bought a Anant #7 jointer plane for $90 and the bottom surface was not even close to being flat. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if #a Varitas Low Angle Plane would be worth the money. If not, what brand would be worth putting some money into? Thanks.

Your best bet will be to go on ebay (or a local auction) and find a Stanley #7. You can usually get one for less than $90 and tune it yourself. I have several that I paid $35 apiece for.

Those veritas planes are some of the finest planes made today (or more perhaps ever made) but they are pricey. I don't recall stanley making a low angle #7 but I could be wrong. A standard #7 stanley can be had for a bit less than $250 though

Don't purchase a new Stanley plane. Get an old one that in is in servicable condition and tune it up.
    I got a #6 and a #7 that date from the 40's that cleaned up really well for less than $70 for both (including shipping) on ebay a few months back.
    Bill Snyder

I've never used the Veritas plane, but they do make very good tools... much better than Anant! The first concern I thought of was that the low angle would not be ideal if you're jointing figured maple; it's more likely to tear out. I read the link you posted and it looks like they deal with this by selling irons with higher angled bevels to bring them more in line with a standard bench plane, and they have a toothed iron that could be used for the rough jointing. Adding irons obviously adds to the cost. Using the toothed iron would add a step to the jointing process and I don't know if it would resolve the tear out problem on the final jointing.

A decent Stanley would certainly be cheaper, but you would also have to upgrade to a Hock iron if you want the same quality of blade, so there's another $40 or so. It also has an adjustable mouth which might be nice... Stanley can be adjusted by removing the iron, loosening the frog screws, and turning the adjustment screw (assuming your Stanley was built after about 1910). I don't really take heavy cuts with my jointer and I don't typically adjust the mouth but I probably would if I had that feature. The Stanley Bedrock line has a frog adjustment that can be used without removing the iron which takes the guesswork out of the adjustment. This guy has a Bedrock 607c (corrugated sole) for $275 so if that's the going price you wouldn't be ahead going that route.

If you have a use/desire for the optional fence it could cost an additional $100 or so for the Stanley #386 fence. You could actually rig up a home-made fence for relatively cheap. So if you factor the adjustable mouth, the quality of the iron, and the overall quality of the plane I think it's probably reasonably priced (that is what you asked... if it's worth the money). I would love to get one in my shop so I could do a side-by-side test drive but it's a little pricey for what I can justify on tool expenditures.

That my 2¢ assessment.

pd
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

I own and use a Veritas Low Angle Jack plane and an old Stanley #7 much like John's. #I picked up the Stanley for cheap at a flea market and cleaned it up, spending a little more time on the iron and cap iron (like John) than I did on the rest of the plane. #I used it for several years prior to acquiring the Veritas plane, which I was reluctant to do because of its price and the look of the handle (I much prefer the sexy look and sheer comfort of old plane and old saw handles).

When I started using the Veritas I was pleasantly surprised that it immediately outperformed my expectations. #The A2 steel iron is 1/8" thick, which helps eliminate chatter. #The whole Veritas series of planes have obviously been very carefully thought out, and the attention to design details that affect function (such as setting the plane mouth further back, and the solid, easy adjustment system for the iron) really pays off in what I think is an excellent hand tool. #It functions smoothly and is a pleasure to use. Particularly with the extra high-angle iron set to a light cut, it makes the whole issue of tearout in reversing grain almost a breeze to deal with.

Even though the Veritas Low Angle Jack plane is shorter than a true jointer, I use it instead of my Stanley #7 with no qualms. I think any of the planes from the Veritas series of bench planes would make a good investment.
    Clark Beavans

Quote Originally Posted by (woodnbronze24 @ Oct. 10 2007, 00:02)
    If not, what brand would be worth putting some money into? Thanks.
    Well, on the pricey end of the spectrum, The Lie-Nielsen brand is about as good as it gets
    Lie_neilsen No 7 jointer plane

As far as the Lee Valley Veritas line goes, it's just as good at a lesser price, although they don't have the classic lines of the old Stanley line

Both have very high manufacturing tolenances and should be ready to go right out of the box with a little honing. They both also benefit from hefty cutting irons the LN has a hefty chip breaker. I believe that the Veritas comes with a choice of A-2 or 01 carbon steel blade while the LN comes with a A-2 steel blade. The bevel up/down debate is probably as heated on WW'ing forums as any Gibson thread, and the bevel up plane does have some advantages.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a side mounted fence on a plane, so that shouldn't be a determining factor.

My favorite though, and a lesser expensive option, is the Knight Toolworks jointer. It's much lighter, has a hefty 01 carbon steel blade, works phenominally, and has a very simple adjustable mouth. Lapping the sole. should you ever need to, is also MUCH easier. Came ready to go right out of the box. The only thing I needed to do with mine is re-shape the handle (tote)

These planes may be simple looking, but they work exceptionally well. I also have a coulple of his smoothers with different bed angles with the highest angle one having a lead insert to give it more weight.Knight Toolworks

If you go the old Stanley route, while the old 01 steel blades are very good, I definitely have to second the Ron Hock's blades and chipbreakers as an upgrade

Hock tools

And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

BTW - Here's a good review of the Veritas BUJ and is about as thorogh as you'll ever find.

Veritas BUJ review
    And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

I love my old Stanley #5 and #7. Now that I know how to sharpen them and set them up (still learning), they are among my favorite tools.
    My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/