Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's in a name?

In the movie "That Thing You Do" The group, "The Wonders" oringinally called themselves "The Oneders". One can see the confusion that spelling caused. It was humorous in that the one group member thought it was cool to spell the name to include the number "one" but who would know that?
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Can't mispronounce Flatiron? A local festival was giving one away as a promotion and the promoter kept talking about the Fla ta ron mandolin that would be given to some lucky person before the weekend was over.

<Can't mispronounce Flatiron? A local festival was giving one away as a promotion and the promoter kept talking about the Fla ta ron mandolin that would be given to some lucky person before the weekend was over.>

Sure it wasn't just his accent?

I feel like we just killed Tinkerbell by committee. Now Danny's mandolins will be just like everyone else's. I hope we're happy about that.

Quote Originally Posted by (mandolirius @ Oct. 21 2007, 04:01)
    <Can't mispronounce Flatiron? A local festival was giving one away as a promotion and the promoter kept talking about the Fla ta ron mandolin that would be given to some lucky person before the weekend was over.>

Sure it wasn't just his accent?
    Ed Norton, as a clothes iron salesman when he found himself fired from the City Sewer Department - "Mama, you just gotta buy this EYE-run!"
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

I dont like it. Kind of girly. Call them something else.

Cedar Top WYE

Knot Head

"Kinda Girly?" I bet you call your mandolin, car, and anything else your really like a "her or she"
    Our Life Has Gone To Shed
    [url="https://www.instagram.com/ourlifehasgonetoshed/[/url]

A copy of a Gibson F5 named My Aniane or a copy of a Gibson F5 named The Smith? Why not just build an original design? Both are good names for something original.

How about "Smithwood"?

This is my first time trying to #post something here; I am doing it because I really really like the name Aniane for your mandolin. #Mystery and romance and beauty are it's ringtones for me, not bad associations for a mandolin.

Blog Entries

As Cool Mandolin Company says... With all those curves there have be strings attached. I don't refer to my instruments with any gender but I see the F5 as a more feminine object than a masculine one. A hammer or drum kit, male... F5 or violin feminine. Ultimately, they're wooden objects, tools to make music with... finely crafted with great style and design, but, tools none the less.

It's a mandolin. When people ask me what I play I say, a mandolin. I'm happy if they know what that is. I may then, depending upon their interest, refer to who or what company built it.

I'm curious how many folks who don't like Aniane (My or The not withstanding) are interested in buying from a small builder anyway? Would the name on the headstock really come into play for the purchase? Maybe it's just me... the name on the headstock isnt' as important as how cleanly it was executed or how good the instrument sounds and feels in my hands.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Or you could adopt an arcane symbol, drop the name, and become known simply as "the mandolin formerly known as..."?

Well it certainly does evoke a certain sense of style, now knowing how to pronounce it (not that it was really an issue before I knew the pronunciation to begin with, it's just more obvious now, wifes name and all) Obviously calls back to the feminine curves, etc, of the instrument. Drop the My. Keep the name. It is perfectly fitting.

Now let me hijack Danny's thread, more or less and help ME choose a blasted name :-)

Two mountains in my backyard. I Live in the shadow of Blackrock Mountain, Sylva NC. Obvious choice, Blackrock Mandolins. Other choice, smaller, steeper, more obtuse (and more arrogant, perhaps) Pinnacle Mountain. I'm partial to #1. MOP mountain, with Abalone 'spruce' trees on top. Neither seem to have an instrument manufacturer associated (pinnacle makes hardware, stands, etc. however).

Hijacked thoughts?

/me dropkicks brian.

*punt*

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (JEStanek @ Oct. 22 2007, 22:33)
    As Cool Mandolin Company says... With all those curves there have be strings attached. #
    You interested in what I think about that slogan? Nah, better keep this on topic. . . . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by (OldTymer @ Oct. 22 2007, 21:59)
    "My Buddy"
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Danny,
    I just ran across one of your mandos on Smokey Mountain Guitars. Nice work.
    Rick Smith

Collings MF5 Deluxe V

Quote Originally Posted by (dstretch @ Oct. 19 2007, 18:09)
    I think I will use the name "Aniane", without the "My". And when I develop a web site I will put the pronunciation on the opening screen, and on the business cards as well. I think as many said it is unique, and once known will be remembered. I just learned how to pronounce "Passernig" last weekend, but I definately won't forget how to now.
    As a Passernig player, I think you are making a good choice.

Passernig #42

I am late in the posting sequence here---I agree about dropping the "my" and now that I know how it is pronounced--it is seems to me a classy/beautiful name and that impression can be associated with the instrument. Glad to finally know the the right prononciation, I always was puzzled by the name when I saw it and like othes thought it was "any-anne."

Good Luck!

Andy