Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a picture of your lyon&healy mando

Blog Entries

Sorry, I've been away from the thread for a bit. I'm working with Brian Dean (www.bfolk.com) out of Montreal for this.

Here are my answers. The face plate of the style A is a weak design element aesthetically to me. It's a big blank slate (or rubber pad as the case may be). I don't see pearl inlay working in there given the fiddle head scroll. A channeled out or slotted headstock like on a Calace / Pandini may work better. It's something Brian Dean and I are exploring. I really appreciate the comments on restringing issues/challenges on that (thanks Mark). This is all still very much at the idea stage and Brian hasn't sketched it out yet. The mando isn't due until late March April 08 (sooner than I think).

An alternative, for those familiar with Brian's work, is some relief style carving in the face plate of a standard tuning machine headstock. I really like the rosettes Brian has carved (like on lutes) in lieu of the finger rest. I'm thinking something more geometric than figurative would look cool (imagine some of the old church screens or rose window geometry with triquetas) and could be referenced in the faceplate of the headstock.

I'm not shooting for a full on L&H Style A copy but, a Style A inspired instrument that Brian and I can play with design elements and shoot for a real elegant beauty (and for me it's hard to do too much with the asymmetrical Style A as it's almost perfect). I want minimal or no plastic (binding or tuner buttons), probably only pearl position dots on the board and side, and hopefully some kind of more eco-friendlier finish. I want a very organic feel to the instrument. And the back and sides are going to be walnut for a warmer tone.

I set a budget and we may have to sacrifice this or that to meet it. We'll see what the economy holds. I'm looking forward to sketches and then getting really serious about bringing it all together. But, this is an exciting build process and this thread is like a reference library for me.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by (chinatogalway @ Nov. 09 2007, 06:18)
    Kieron:
    So, it looks like you also have one of the earlier, long-scale models. I think part of the tone comes from the longer scale. I didn't know that they wider necks. Mine measures 30mm (1 3/16"). And your tailpiece cover is very unusual. Do you have closeups of it?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jamie:
    I believe you are referring to Pandini/Embergher style headstock. I can't recall seeing many Calace's with slotted headstocks.

Here is Doug Woodley's take on the L&H. He dispensed with the scroll altogether. This is Marilynn Mair's. I have not played hers but if it is like the one Woodley (the black F2) I did play, it is exquisite.

Whoops... left off the image the first time:

Aside from the rubber stuff, I like the elegance of the scroll headstock. I think the main difficulty is making one that work with modern tuners. The tuners are like no others I have seen and must have been made especially for (or by) L&H.

In any case, I am sure that Brian and yourself will come up with a nice, aesthetically pleasing solution. I ma looking fwd to seeing it.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I bought this a couple years ago from a woman in Ohio. Her alcoholic stepfather had it for years but never played it - just took it out of the case every few months or so when he was good and liquored up and bragged about how beautiful it is. At least, he could still see and didn't damage it. The action was awful when I got it, like so many I have played - especially the short scale asymmetrical A's. I sent it to Pete Langdell for a neck reset. He made me promise that I would disclose that the work had been done if I ever sold it. It's pretty hard to tell that any work was done except that it plays very well.

I'll put up a bunch of pics...

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	27387  
    Jim Nikora

Probably should have sent the front first...

Name:	Front_Full_2.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	27388  
    Jim Nikora

That is a Hamilton stand - not a fifth string tuner! Here's a closeup of the sound hole.

Name:	Sound_Hole_Pickguard.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	27389  
    Jim Nikora

Just a couple more - Thanks, Scott for the bandwidth and thanks for having this thread.

Name:	Neck_Back.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	27390  
    Jim Nikora

Pete's handiwork...

Name:	Neck_Joint.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	27391  
    Jim Nikora

Fantastic tailpiece

Name:	Tailpiece_2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	27392  
    Jim Nikora

Jim, that is quite the beauty, here is an addition.

Name:	IMG_2967.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	27394  

Chris,

That is a beauty - this is why so many of us feel it is the most beautiful aesthetic design of the period.

Here is the last one for now. The case is in great shape, too. A little wear on the logo where the strings rubbed it and a replacement leather handle - otherwise hard to tell from new.

Jim

Name:	Front_Angle.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	27395  
    Jim Nikora

Name:	IMG_2966.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	27396  

Jim, Chris -- spectacular instruments, thanks! S/Ns? Can you describe the guard plate attachment? Also, Jim, I notice that the center lamination in the neck is thinner than others I've seen...can you tell if it's the same "vulcanized fibre" material as in other L&H necks?
    ~Bill~
    "Often wrong, but never in doubt."
    --Ivy Baker Priest

Bill,

The serial is 1318 - the laminate in the neck appears to be the same vulcanized rubber that is used on the headstock overlay and the pick guard. The pick guard appears to be held on by one screw - a long small headed screw that goes through the edge of the guard all the way into the fingerboard. You can see it here in the picture. There must be other locater pins to stabilize it. Fascinating - I thought Lynn Dudenbostel had invented the system to float the guard over the top. There is absolutely nothing touching the top or rim of the mandolin!

Name:	Neck_Joint_Treble.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	27406  
    Jim Nikora

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Am I seeing compensated bridges on some of the above? My Style B (SN around #670, I don't have it right here) has a straight one, and the intonation is just fine. -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Sorry for the picture quality compared to the rest in this thread. Here is an A and a C that I owned a couple of years ago. It does show the difference in the scale length and their relative sizes.

I still have the A, and it is serial number 794 and does not have the double stamped pickguard with the patent dates. It looks like this one was made after they used those guards up, but before they went to the asymmetrical style. It also has the pull out piece in the lower bout that I heard was designed to fit into a vest pocket for easier playing while standing.

Name:	Slide1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	27409  

Quote Originally Posted by (twaaang @ Nov. 09 2007, 17:18)
    Am I seeing compensated bridges on some of the above? My Style B (SN around #670, I don't have it right here) has a straight one, and the intonation is just fine.
    I would think that all of these would have compensated bridges. This is a Washburn labelled A 2199 (not mine).

Name:	be7e_3.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	27412  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Fabulous pictures! Thanks to each of you for posting them. Jamie, FWIW, I'm growing to like the 'quiet' design of the unadorned headstock face. It is true, though that the longer scale models are more elegant with such an elaborated headstock. I like the 'Marilyn Mair' model but do think the wings on the headstock are a bit hefty. The more clipped version on Django's C model are more to my liking.

Jim, do you know what the differences are between the models marketed as L+H and those as Washburn?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by (brunello97 @ Nov. 09 2007, 20:42)
    Jim, do you know what the differences are between the models marketed as L+H and those as Washburn?
    The specs page I posted was from a 1924-5 catalog. At that point they were labelled Washburn. I think it was only in the last few years that they had the Washburn label. In the 1920 catalog they were called "Lyon & healy Own Make" so somewhere in between those years they transitioned.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Gads! What great shots! Jim - that Washburn is PRISTINE. I noticed that a lot of the Washburns do not have leg pegs. I also think they are later - dunno why they changed - I think it had something to do with their business - one of their middle names was Washburn. Maybe they "restructured" or maybe it was just a marketing ploy. Mine is a Washburn and not really a "Professional A" but a Washburn "Style 5382". I lusted after one for years and finally ended up with one.

Jim
    Jim Nikora

l and h

Name:	kierons_l_and_h_01s.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	27415  

l and h

Name:	kierons_l_and_h_02s.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	27416  

Interesting tail piece cover there Andy. Can we get a close up of that?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Quote Originally Posted by (jnikora @ Nov. 09 2007, 21:06)
    Gads! What great shots! Jim - that Washburn is PRISTINE. I noticed that a lot of the Washburns do not have leg pegs. I also think they are later - dunno why they changed - I think it had something to do with their business - one of their middle names was Washburn. Maybe they "restructured" or maybe it was just a marketing ploy. Mine is a Washburn and not really a "Professional A" but a Washburn "Style 5382". I lusted after one for years and finally ended up with one.

Jim
    George Washburn Lyon was one of the guys. They used Washburn for their upper line of bowlbacks. I am not sure why they switched other than the fact that Washburn was maybe more well-known -- some sort of marketing ploy. Oddly enough these wonderful instruments were made (like the Loars) at the tail end of the mandolin boom. Strange, right?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: