Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #1 finished

This is my first mandolin. I used Siminoff's book. Top is Engleman. Back is some kind of maple. Finish is french polish A friend tells me it sounds like an F5 (I wouldn't know, I've only built guitars and a few bad violins). I'd like to buy an inexpensive mandolin to use as a model. What does anyone think of the Epiphone MM-50? I'd prefer not to spend $22k. Sorry about the bad photos.

Charles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin_012.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	27183  
    Charles

Hey there I think that mando looks pretty nice. Wouldn't mind hearing it and seeing how it plays.

Nice looking! I had an '01 F5G with a finish cloose to that color once. How's the back look?
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Looks like some real nice work. I'd be interested in hearing it as well. I would get the F5 print from elderly instruments. Thats wat I use for some of my dims.

Charles, That mandolin looks awesome! You did a great job. I love the sunburst! I would also invest in a good set of plans and take time making some nice templates.

Here is the back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin_015.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	27186  
    Charles

Blog Entries

Beautiful -- You did a great job! #

I would certainly be overjoyed to have made something like that on my first try. #

Did you also sent some pics to Roger I'm sure he would also be impressed.

I think the f-holes are interesting - more of a gentle curvature than a Gibson for example?

Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Instead of buying an Epiphone why don't you use #1 as a model??!! Is this a joke?
    Something a bit less controversial...

I can't see the advantage of using a cheap import as a model. #Often there are things about them you certainly would not want to copy. #I suggest trying to get a loaner instrument from someone local. #See if you can put your hands on something really nice for a while and take all the measurements and what not you need. #I bet a Cafe member in your vicinity would be willing to help if you asked. If you are going to start building mandolins regularly I suggest you put your hands on as many as you can and really start to develop an ear for the sound of them. It took me some time to figure out what I liked and what I didn't since they have a complicated voice.

This first effort looks really great. #The end of the scroll looks a little odd to me, but I'm not a builder or an expert. Overall I think it's a fantastic looking instrument.

Chip

Fantastic first instrument, you should be proud! I agree that a cheap mando wouldn't be good as a model. I've seen Michael Kellys, Epiphones, Rogues, etc that looked like a child finished the scroll and headstock scroll. I think chip's suggestion is a good one, get your hands on a good looking, sounding, and playing mando. Mandopluker (Shayne) has an advantage over many of us aspiring builders, because he owns (has owned?) a Dudenbostel, Pag, a couple Gibson Master Models, and a couple other real nice ones. I think once someone has heard/played nice instruments like that, they will be more likely able to build good instruments. Just my opinion.
    My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/

I appreciate the feedback. I'm sure your right about getting exposed to really good instruments.

Charles
    Charles

Epiphone should be copying you!

Blog Entries

Seriously! That's a good looking mandolin you made! Congrats.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

You want to "copy" an Epiphone MM-50? Is that an attempt at humor?

Your first try is gorgeous to look at. Really nice work. There are several sets of plans available of Loars with thickness readings. Just choose one of those and try another one.

Very nice work. I don't understand why you want a "model" either... it seems like you did a great job from Siminoff's plans. I think you should be able to do a good job studying some of the other plans (Hogo's plans from Elderly, Jim Davis' from GAL), comparing your work to pics here or in in the Mandolin Archives, and taking your mando out to jams so you can pass it around and develop an ear for what you want to shoot for with your next instruments. Keep up the good work!

pd
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Quote Originally Posted by
    I don't understand why you want a "model" either
    It can be handy to look at an instrument "in the flesh" to see how some fine details are executed. Pictures on the internet are nice, but spending an hour looking for a picture that shows what you want is not. Even the most complete drawings are only two dimensional representations of the real deal. That being said, an instrument worth copying is probably not within the budget of an independent builder.

Charles, do you do repairs? That might be a good source of exposure to nice vintage mandos.

You hit the nail on the head. I don't do repairs and don't have any immediate acquaintances that have high quality mandolins. I've gone to Elderly and looked at Gibsons, etc.,but as you say, when you are carving the scroll, it's difficult to look at 2d pictures and get all the elevations correct. I just wondered if the Epiphone would be carved accurately enough to help out generally. The consensus seems to be that it would be a waste of money.

Charles
    Charles

I don't know about the Epiphones but my observation with many low-end F style mandos is that the scroll profile is not very good. That's especially true of the "ridge" on the body scroll... sometimes they look like they were carved with a Dremel and finished with a wire wheel. I know what you're saying about 2-D images not giving you all the information, but I think good 2-D pics would be better than a bad 3-D model. Granted, your images are not close-up shots but from what I can see I think you're well on your way to carving a top notch scroll... and you're already better than some of the Pac-Rim models I've seen.

pd
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

PURDY!! Man thats a good build how does she sound??

kinda reminds me of a tucker mandolin. nice work!
    stringed instrument construction and repair
    jrrystapleton@yahoo.com

Siminoff, Stew-Mac and other smaller operations (Smith Creek) sell pattern carved plates for around $100. I have no idea who's is most accurate, or if any of them are any good at all really, but they might serve as a model. These would have the added benefit of the inside being exposed, and not having the 1/8" of lacquer some makers are notorious for. You could ask in the builder/repair section to see if anyone can recommend any of these products for your purpose.

Good idea--I just emailed Roger about his carved plates.
    Charles

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Charles,
    You look like you have THE eye. I'd take a piece of scrap spruce and carve me a top scroll on it. I'd take another and carve a back scroll. Get them right. Use them for your 3D models.
    Forget someone else's work or a machine carved scroll. Your eye is a better guide.
    IMHO,
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Blog Entries

wow...that is a very nice looking mando...well done!
    Custom Weber Yellowstone #5246609
    Carver A Oval Hole
    Flatiron 1C #96046174
    http://rekx.wordpress.com

If you want to copy a scroll I would not use a MM-50 as a model. From the photos your scroll looks better than anything done on an entry level import. There are plenty of good photos of scrolls in the "work in progress" thread here. I think you'd be better off studying those.