Thread: Cohen c#

Thumbs up

I purchased a Cohen C# mandolin from Elderly in March of 07. It has Maple back and sides and an Engleman top. I went to Elderly to look at a used Collins MF, which was very nice. I happen to spy a funky but cool looking mando on the wall. I picked it up and it sounded very nice-it was a Cohen. I had heard of them from this website, but had not actually heard one. The action of this mandolin was extremely low, very comfortable, light weight, and very loud. I put it back on the wall and tried a black walnut topped/maple backed Cohen C#-different sounding but also nice. I tried about every mandolin on the wall that day, but I kept coming back to the Cohen. In the end, it was between the Collins MF and the Cohen. The Cohen won out because it had a smoother feeling neck (finished) and lower action (but it was a close race). I was nervous about such a large purchase and wanted to go home and think about it. My wife told me "you'd better buy it now, it may be gone when you come back."
    It has been played everyday since then by myself. It is definitely more capable than it's owner. It has that ability to inspire me when I play it. Other more experienced players state that it is opening up since first hearing it at the Appalachian uprising to a Halloween party.
    Dr Cohen answered a couple of newbie questions for me via email. Overall, I'm very happy with it and can recommend Cohen Mandolins-the two I tried were very nice. I thought I would share this experience with the mandolin community here.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

I played that very mandolin that you bought. I liked it and can see way you purchased it. Enjoy
    Bill

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Every one of his mandolins is great. I've played a few (he's a neighbor).

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I got to meet Dr. Dave at a jam at fatt-dad's house. He brought three of his instruments and I got to play them. He makes great stuff and he is a class act. He would definitely be on my short list if I were looking.