Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who could restore country music?

Quote Originally Posted by (Peter Hackman @ Nov. 09 2007, 09:50)
    Isn't it enough to just play your own music as well as you can?
    [QUOTE]
    Isn't it enough to just play your own music as well as you can?

Not really! IMO you cannot play music without listening to and caring about other people's music...Listening provides the first draw to want to play. Continuing to care about other peoples music is fundamental in musical growth. In my opinion

Willie Nelson
    Jerry Jeff Walker

There are just too many factors involved in the decline of the genre. Mostly it's the money. The song writing is bad, but every once in awhile something stands out as being almost good enough. Dwight Yokam, if anyone would give Merle Haggard a chance he'd change it, Alan Jackson has enough money not to worry about acceptance, but the work that it would take is enormous. It comes down to the buyer. If the average buyer likes what they hear then nothing will change. Unfortunately this club we belong to is too small to make much of a difference. Play and buy what you like and the evolution that takes place can't be stopped.

"Who can restore country music?"

The country music radio stations. If traditional country would get the air play. These 'pop country stars' would fall over themselves trying to sound like the Jones', Haggards', and Frizells

Mark

I don't know who if anybody can save it at this point and time. I think not. Can't stand today's country music. I'm sticking to tradtional/bluegrass/celtic/almost anything acoustic.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Quote Originally Posted by (biorkman @ Nov. 09 2007, 00:35)
    Rascal Flatts and Emerson Drive. Just kidding.
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Jim Lauderdale gets my vote for sure but I think we would first need some new recording engineers who go for that "old" country sound for the artists of today to work with. Lots of the popular artists seem to name there hero's as the same folks Im thinking about and having someone help them reach that in the studio might help some. I heard the Eagles were the big stars on at the CMA's.....hummmm, whats up with that??? Hotel Alabama?
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

How many country musicians does it take a screw in a lightbulb?

Two. One to screw in the lightbulb and one to complain about how much better the old lightbulb was.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

I 2nd Dwight Yoakam
    Hank Williams
    Bill Monroe
    Lester Flatt
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

The way it's headed I think the right question is who can we find to put it out of our misery the fastest.

there is already TONS of traditional country recorded. If you like it so much put it on your ipod. i liked what mandopete said about the lightbulb. It happened, it was cool, what is going on now is obviously different and that is what makes the old stuff so cool. but it is there on record so enjoy it!
    Go Long, Mule

Country music's been where it is now before - think of the whole "urban cowboy" nonsense of the late 70's, early 80's. Then guys like Randy Travis came along sounding like George Jones and things went back for awhile. I imagine the cycle will revert again. Just takes the right guy with the right sound at the right time.

That said, I don't really care that much - I'm too solidly into acoustic music at this point. I think the best thing would be a resurgence of family music, where we all make our own instead of thinking it's just for the pros to do and for us to listen.

Well at the very least, perhaps they can bring back rhinestones. I especially like them on guitar pegheads spelling out 'DUDE'
    And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

Gillian Welch AND David Rawlings

If you are not content with Carrie Underwood as the new Queen of Country music, wait till next year and maybe Jewell will rock your world.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by
    lgc: With an increasingly urban population and a generally homoginized society there is little in the way of a social framework to supprt traditional country. Musical movements reflect the culture that creates them. .... We don't value three chords or the truth.
    Just in case no one noticed that statement was a succinct answer to the original question posed. Well done!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

It's as simple as this: The music industry will only produce what they think will sell...pre-teens/teens with an allowance and/or part-time income wield the most power today because they spend all their dollars on music and it's by products (t-shirts, etc). Mature adults have house payments, car payments, insurance, braces, etc...their hard earned dollars do not generally go for CDs, etc. It's just another example of supply and demand...

I second Gillian Welch as well as Steve Earl.

"Mature adults have house payments, car payments, insurance, braces, etc...their hard earned dollars do not generally go for CDs, etc."

I agree many people do not spend money on music but I feel it's due to the lack of interest as they get older and pull away from music. Many people who keep up with music still buy new cd's. I also think "mature" does not is not defined by their spending. I have most of those "living costs" and still spend my hard earned dollar on new music. Not to argue.. just a statement.
    thanks

Collings MT2V Birdseye

Quote Originally Posted by (micall5 @ Nov. 09 2007, 20:45)
    ...Many people who keep up with music still buy new cd's. I also think "mature" does not is not defined by their spending. I have most of those "living costs" and still spend my hard earned dollar on new music. Not to argue.. just a statement...
    ...yes I understand. I also buy new music, but you'll have to admit if you visited any typical high school most of the population has probably bought multiple CDs and Band t-shirts within the last month...it's how they communicate they're individuality ("have you heard the new CD by ")...

Now in comparison, if you visit the nearest adult workplace your probably not going to hear "hey dude, have you checked out the new CD by _"! Most folks just don't keep up with the music business unless your somehow involved in it (like most of us here)...

I think I have to go along with the "radio station" answer. #The music IS out there just buried under the new stuff. #If there were more shows like "Grassroots" on the free airways the average guy could find the "good stuff." #The crew at Grassroots are friends of long standing and they work very hard for the end result. #This show has been on for years(almost 30, I think)and is pretty much the only place I hear things I want to listen to.
    Strong work Mark!

Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

My wife, who sings some of the "old timeyest" C & W in our part of the world...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3m.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	27439  

Am I prejudiced? You bet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3m2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	27440  

"One to screw in the lightbulb and one to complain about how much better the old lightbulb was."
    Hey, mandopete, I'm the second one!
    The ones who could restore country music are those that you and I will never hear. Jones, Haggard, and Cash would never get their chance today. Neither would Tammy, Loretta or Skeeter. But.........if I had to pick a few that should be front and center; Junior Brown (where is he?), Kathy Mattea, Emmylou Harris, Clint Black, Larry Cordle for starters.
    Bob, lover of the old bulbs!
    re simmers

I still go back to my radio station answer. Kathy Mattea is still out there she just released a new album. I just heard an interview with her by Bill Cody on WSM. But once again she won't get the airplay. Emmylou was interviewed the two weeks ago about her new album.

You can hear the greats on wsmonline.com, they will throw in a few contempory artist from time to time. That is when you really hear the differences. Just how tight the greats and their bands were.

Mark

How many country musicians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

I don't know, I flipped the channel at the first commercial.