Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nine pound hammer

So I pulled that cd out last night to take a listen to this "terrible" break Grisman played. What's the big deal? It may not be what i woould have played, but it sure sounds like the Dawg to me.:D

Man Soupy.....those Frank & Dawg duets at he end of that video are WAY cool!
    And steelbuddha.....I'll bet you had both darker & longer hair back in 80-81!
    I know I did! I guess those can now be considered the good ol' days!

Quote Originally Posted by (SternART @ Nov. 13 2007, 12:06)
    I'll bet you had both darker & longer hair back in 80-81!
    I know I did! I guess those can now be considered the good ol' days!
    Back in the 80's? How about "back in the 60's!" In the 80's I already had two kids and well....you get the picture.
    Your youthfulness is showing, SternART! (lol)

-Soupy1957

Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

Certainly ranks with Bill Bruckners's failure to field Mookies Wilson's grounder in the 6th game of the 1986 World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by (sgarrity @ Nov. 13 2007, 11:56)
    So I pulled that cd out last night to take a listen to this "terrible" break Grisman played. #What's the big deal? #It may not be what i woould have played, but it sure sounds like the Dawg to me.:D
    I just did this too and I thought it was awesome as heck. I know I can't play like that...Dawg's technique confuses me (in a good way).

By the way, speaking of Manzanita, that's Sam Bush on the mandolin in Little Sadie, isn't it? That's like the coolest break ever towards the end...

Garnet Bruell

That little break to Little Sadie is tabbed out in the not-so-little book Masters of the Mandolin, the Dave Peters chef d'oeuvre.

coincidentally, the free itunes sample of this tune encompasses this full break. to me it's just kind of blah, then again, it is probably my least favorite track on the album and version of the tune. a few years back, grisman released one of the last grisman/garcia albums-been all around this world - and it has a great arrangment of this tune. very cool groove to it and hot flute solo.

www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

My impression is that solo never gets off the ground, but I can't analyze what's happening. Sometimes I get so weary of people trying to be hip on basic stuff - that's why the 3rd Flinner-Grier-Phillips (unlike the first two) went to the wastebasket.

None of this detracts from my appreciation of Grisman's musicianship in other contexts.

Peter - I am curious about a 3rd Phillips, Grier & Flinner disc. I am familiar with the self titled cd, and then Looking Back. Is there another release they've put out recently?

Thought somewhat related to Grisman's break (which I haven't listened to recently): I don't know if it was in Miles' autobiography, or where I read this, but a lot of jazz recordings from (choose your definition of a particular golden age here) were done in one take - mostly since studio time was so valuable, it was not likely a group could go over a piece until they got it perfect. So, you just played your best - sometimes it was magic, and sometimes your solo was the odd duck in the bunch, saved for posterity. Not saying that Grisman's break is one thing or another, just that it was simply the one that ended up on the album. As Arthur has said, it was different each time. That, in and of itself, I think is worthy of admiration.

Dave

Okay, so this is only loosely related to the original topic, but...

I need to learn a nice version of Nine Pound Hammer on mandolin. My grandpa has played fingerpicking guitar for a long time, and this is his favorite piece to play. He's finding it harder and harder to play because of joint problems in his finger, so I'd like to record he and I playing this really soon before it gets so bad he can't play at all. Just as a memory/keepsake type thing. He plays it in a slow Merle Travis style...I'm sure I can figure something out, at the least I could just play the melody slowly or heck, fingerpick it on mandolin, but if anyone knows of some recordings with this style of guitar on this song that also have a nice mandolin track, I'd like to listen to something for inspiration. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by (dave g @ Dec. 15 2007, 22:33)
    Peter - I am curious about a 3rd Phillips, Grier & Flinner disc. I am familiar with the self titled cd, and then Looking Back. Is there another release they've put out recently?
    No - seems there are only two, and I was referring to the second one.

Been a while since the last post on this thread, but just wondered.... does anyone use an E minor as the second chord instead of a C when in the key of G? With one band we used it all the time and with another band we used it in the chorus only.

Jack
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood"

Default Re: Nine pound hammer

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    Geeze, give me a break.....Guess you've not heard Grisman play straight up BG then? Here Today? Home is Where the Heart Is, DGBX.
    He can play VERY authentic licks, culled from immersing himself in all the first generation BG masters. Just because he writes his
    own tunes and created a style of music, doesn't mean he doesn't pay homage to the roots of BG when appropriate. Besides Manzanita
    is Spacegrass. Listen to Sam's backup fiddle behind Tony's vocals on that cut, or David's mandolin rhythm, I was at these sessions
    in the studio, and they were pushing the envelope, having a lot of fun.....true peers....all good friends & among the super pickers of their generation.
    There were several versions of the tunes.....one better than the other, with nobody repeating stock licks on their breaks, those boys was creatin'.....
    not replicatin'...What a GREAT record. A classic!! They oughta put out 20th anniversary edition, with all the out-takes. Spacegrass.....yeeeeeaahhhhhhh!!!
    Thanks Art

Default Re: Nine pound hammer

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    Geeze, give me a break.....Guess you've not heard Grisman play straight up BG then? Here Today? Home is Where the Heart Is, DGBX.
    He can play VERY authentic licks, culled from immersing himself in all the first generation BG masters. Just because he writes his
    own tunes and created a style of music, doesn't mean he doesn't pay homage to the roots of BG when appropriate. Besides Manzanita
    is Spacegrass. Listen to Sam's backup fiddle behind Tony's vocals on that cut, or David's mandolin rhythm, I was at these sessions
    in the studio, and they were pushing the envelope, having a lot of fun.....true peers....all good friends & among the super pickers of their generation.
    There were several versions of the tunes.....one better than the other, with nobody repeating stock licks on their breaks, those boys was creatin'.....
    not replicatin'...What a GREAT record. A classic!! They oughta put out 20th anniversary edition, with all the out-takes. Spacegrass.....yeeeeeaahhhhhhh!!!
    What Art said 4 yrs ago still sticks.