Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electronic tuners

I have a older Korg I use as a benchmark. They are about the same.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by (tterral @ Dec. 07 2007, 12:27)
    I have the Intelli and Intellitouch and like the Intelli a little better, but I want something more accurate. Mine can say the strings are in tune, but they are obviously off a bit.
    Well, are you aware that even if you have the strings all tuned dead center on your meter they are all little bit out of tune? The meters produce just intonation, which has been discussed several times before on this board. Every string is purposely a little bit out of tune.

If you can hear the difference, can you correct for it by ear? If you do fix the tuning for a specific chord, you will find that you are out of tune for other chords. Even if you could tune the open strings for some sort of perfect intonation, you would be out again once you start fretting up the neck.

Tuning any instrument is a compromise.

Thanks for the update tocotodo, I am aware of this. Yes I can tune the strings by ear, but if you read my comments, I am equally concerned about noisy enviornments, i.e. gigs where it can be very difficult to hear and get an accurate assessment of the how well the mando is tuned. I am thinking by tuning with a strobe type of tuner, where the accuracy is supposed to be +/-0.1 cents, this will not really be an issue. Having not tried a strobe tuner, I asked the question about the Planet Waves Stobe tuner and commented on the Peterson, which is supposed to be very good and very accurate. I do not think it is ideal if each course of strings on a mando is a little out of tune with it's "mate", which was what I was commenting on. I am well aware that tuning is a compromise, on certain levels, I deal with it even more on my guitar. In fact, the Peterson has a number of different tempermants/sweetners that address this very issue.
    Tim
    Passernig F5

I just ordered the Tune-Tech tt-1000. I'll give it a try. I like the Intelli but sometimes...ehhh...
    ‎"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." - Howard Aiken

Being almost tone deeeaf I can not do without my Intellitouch PT2 Tuner; for thirty bucks it is worth EVERY penny.

I will probably get slammed for this, so let me caveat that this is not some prejudice I have or any financial interest, but just based on my personal bad experiences, which may or may not be representative. I have had bad luck with all three Planet Waves products I've purchased, including a humidifier, a hygrometer and one of thier strobe tuners, although I am not sure it is the same model tuner being discussed here. The hygrometer was the most innacurate of the many I have purchased even though it was the most expensive and it did not have a calibration adjustment. The tuner started shorting out after very little use. The humdifier developed mold after one season of use, which I have not had happen with several other brands, some of which I've had for years. MHO is thier stuff looks good in terms of design and appearance, but the quality is not there, especially for their premium prices. I personally will not buy anything with that brand name again.

Quote Originally Posted by (tterral @ Dec. 08 2007, 00:17)
    Thanks for the update tocotodo, I am aware of this. Yes I can tune the strings by ear, but if you read my comments, ...

I am well aware that tuning is a compromise, ...
    My apologies for misunderstanding. Obviously my perceptive abilities are less than perfect also. #

Have used two Intellitouches for years and when they broke I sent them back to the company and they replced them.

But when the Intelli 500's came out the Intellitouches have been in a drawer gathering dust ever since.

The Intelli 500's are great gigging tuner. It can be crowded, noisey and dark and you can tune up in seconds.

These tuner threads always crack me up as I wait for the clunky Peterson Strobotuners crowd to come rushing out!

Hey Tocotodo, sorry for the "attitude" in my post. Bad day, not usually such a butthead.
    Tim
    Passernig F5

Good point Jim, on the clunky factor of the StroboFlip. Certainly appears to be less convenient than the Intelli, but I would have the StrobFlip patched through my preamp Tuner Output and mounted on the mic stand under my preamp (it comes with a mic stand clamp). It appears that the Peterson is nicely backlit, but again, I have never seen one. I will not be getting rid of the Intelli, just thinking to add something more accurate. Wonder if the Tune-Tech tt-1000 is any more accurate than the Intelli 500 (as has been mentioned, Intelli is now called Tune Tech and the TT-1000 B is their newer model). On Eldery's website it sounds like the two are essentially the same, with the TT-1000 having a different look and a couple of new features.

Johnny, thanks for the heads up on Planet Waves.
    Tim
    Passernig F5

Have been using a Korg AW-1 for the last year or so and in spite of the lack of backlight, it always seemed to work well. Then, recently, I LOST it (sigh) - and set about looking for a replacement. Since the AW-1's price out at close to $50, and since there are/were quite a few positive reviews of other less pricey tuners, I decided to experiment. Wound up buying a Intelli IMT-900 (which apparently is identical to the IMT-500 in almost every way except for a new feature which allows transposing/altering keys). I bought it inexpensively from that well-known auction site, from a seemingly reputable seller. It arrived relatively quickly, I installed the battery, clipped it on my headstock and....

And.....well. A few initial observations: it is NOWHERE NEAR as accurate - or as quick - as the Korg AW-1. 'You don't miss your water till your well runs dry' as the old song goes; in this case I didn't realize how fast and accurate the Korg was...until trying the Intelli. It is annoying slow - and also seems relatively loose when one is trying to tune a string to a particular note. Example - tuning either an A or D string - the Intelli gives me a range of audibly different tones which, according to its digital measurement screen, are 'exactly' on the note in question. A very BAD sign in my opinion. This versus the AW-1 - which has a nifty system of a digital line/needle approaching a center point - and then becoming a triple line only at the exact moment of being 'in tune'.

So....needless to say...I was a little...unhappy.

But I persisted and continued using it for maybe 2-3 days, trying to put it through its paces on several different instruments. Then, yesterday - after maybe 3 days of ownership - it simply STOPPED WORKING. It powers up - the screen turns green - but apparently now it can no longer hear/measure/tune any sounds transmitted through the headstock (to which it is clipped). And, yes, I did all the things one is supposed to - clipping it to different parts of the headstock, and to different instruments - with the same results (Zero) or rather the same lack of results. End result - a NON-functional new Intelli tuner after only maybe 3 days of use.

I emailed the seller and am waiting for a reply. But right now - based on my own limited real-life experience - this tuner is problematical and unacceptable.

I may have to go back to a non-backlit Korg. Though my old non-clip on Seiko always seemed quite accurate.

Sigh....

(stay tuned for more)

Miguel
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    http://migueltejadaflores.wordpress.com/

Sounds like perhaps you got a dud. My Intelli and my Tune Tech both work rather nicely, though I do prefer the Tune Tech for its added LEDs and the added pivot point which the original Intelli doesn't have.

I've heard the Korg is very nice, but I can't imagine spending that much on a tuner without a backlight, that's a deal breaker for me.
    Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

To me, my mandolin's tuning should be so stable that it rarely needs attention. When it does, I want something integral and accurate and which will tune me to a pitch that no piano or flute player will have problems with, and also do not want flashing clamps and plastic protrusions on my peghead for aesthetic reasons. I have been extremely well served by a Sabine AX-2000W contact chromatic tuner that resides permanently on my F-5's side, just back from the scroll. I never remove it from the instrument, even when it's in it's case. These originals are no longer available, and even though the new models are of a lesser quality, I still keep another one on my flatop and would replace the original on my mandolin in a heartbeat if it ever failed.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Quote Originally Posted by
    These tuner threads always crack me up as I wait for the clunky Peterson Strobotuners crowd to come rushing out! #
    Laugh at me if you will!
    I generally keep my stroboflip on my music stand at home and take the Intelli to gigs etc. I got a Korg but the lack of backlighting is #the deciding factor in leaving it at home although it is faster and probably more accurate. I just as often use the flapping tuners on the side of my head for tweaking strings that are a little off!
    The "clunky" factor of the Strobo makes me laugh too, how lazy we've become that we can't just attach the Strobo to the mic stand (which I do in other studios), just too much work ain't it? #(Just a general comment, not intended to offend, unless you want to be offended)

Quote Originally Posted by (Fretbear @ Dec. 10 2007, 14:31)
    To me, my mandolin's tuning should be so stable that it rarely needs attention.
    I agree here. #I only take my most stable mandolins out on stage. I've been using a Korg AT-12 for 30 years, and as I can hear better than I can see, I use the sound feature for the mandolin and tune each string by ear to the reference note.