Thread: Update to unbroken chain arrangement

All -

I don't know if anyone has downloaded any of my arrangements (see signature), but just in case, I though I'd let you know that I updated my mandolin chord arrangement for Phil Lesh's Unbroken Chain. I'd really like to know if anyone has tried this. I love the piece, and am curious if anyone else likes it.

I also just posted an arrangement of Tennessee Stud, after hearing it performed at Bill's Pickin' Parlor in Columbia, SC. Anyone ever been there? It's as much bluegrass as you can take in one evening, every Friday evening. It's a blast!
    Come to my evolving web page, where I hope to add more mandolin chord arrangements as I get them finished:
    https://mando.tauxe.net

Hi John:

I have not tried any of your arrangements but they look very well laid out. I like your one page format; nice and "clean".

To be honest I don't really listen to or play Dead music anymore. Sacrilage I know

But your transcriptions I think would be welcome by aspring Dead Head mando players. You should see if the webmaster at rukind.org will link to your site.

I'll try some of your arrangements after my chord/melody Christmas tune kick is over.

Oh - very good site there, www.rukind.org. The guitar tab is not my cup of tea, but I expect I can learn some things from it. There are, for example, some challenging parts in Unbroken Chain that I have not figured out yet.

Again - thanks for the link. I will pursue interest there.
    Come to my evolving web page, where I hope to add more mandolin chord arrangements as I get them finished:

I always like your arrangements. Looking forward to giving Tennessee Stud a run.
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

I LOVE that tune! Im going to check it out for sure. I just heard an all acoustic version of "Pride of Cucamonga(?)" the other day and felt very inspired to dabble in the area. This could be what the doctor ordered. Thanks!
    -Ben

Ah - yes, Pride of Cucamonga... Another fun Lesh tune that I am thinking of working up. The chording is pretty basic, though, so it's not really worth making up a sheet for.

Lovin' it! Ever tackled "Ship of Fools?"

Mark, wearing a Dead shirt as he types...
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

I lived in Columbia for 16 years, but never made it to a picking sesion at Bills. Wish I had. #Maybe next time I'm in town. #I was just there to play for the Rockafella's Reunion festival with the Ultraviolets and Spoonful (my old Grateful Dead tribute band, so I should check out your arrangement).

Chip

On sort of a Phil Lesh kick I guess...
    check out my site for a fresh new rendering of Box of Rain. It's a simple yet elegant tune, with easy chords.

I noticed in Unbroken Chain, and it is even more apparent in Box of Rain, that Lesh does not feel shackled by the need for each verse to use exactly the same chords. Notice how in Box of Rain the last line of each verse uses a different yet complementary chord progression, tailored to the lyrics for that verse. Very clever and subtle, and yet it brings a lot to the piece. And offers a lot for the student of music.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Box of Rain the last line of each verse uses a different yet complementary chord progression,
    yeah that's probably why the Dead hardly performed it live; hard to remember all those "clever" changes

I'll check it out. I play Eyes of the world alot. Neat to see some one else is interested as well. During the chorus of Eyes I often change the tempo from the dead's rhythm to a bluegrass chop. It breaks the song up nicely and is really easy to pull of. During the jam section it can also be a useful tool for kicking it up a notch and going into something else.
    Ocean Blvd - Funky Jazz (https://oceanblvd.band)
    Cosmic Ramblers - Bluegrass, Americana (facebook.com/cosmicramblers)
    HotQua String Band - Gypsy Swing, Latin Bluegrass

Main Mandos: Nashville Flatiron A5 Artist, Belmuse 4 string electric

Default Re: Update to unbroken chain arrangement

Quote Originally Posted by jtauxe View Post
    Oh - very good site there, www.rukind.org. The guitar tab is not my cup of tea, but I expect I can learn some things from it. There are, for example, some challenging parts in Unbroken Chain that I have not figured out yet.
    I had not figured them out, either, until I got a remix of the Mars Hotel album, which has some bonus material added. Some of that is Lesh's demo acoustic take of Unbroken Chain, during which he calls out the chords in the tricky parts.

Default Re: Update to unbroken chain arrangement

Since 2007 and my snarky post above I have actually played a lot of GD on mandolin. You have to these days

We even recorded a version of Ship of Fools on one of our CDs.

https://mcmule.com/track/1340965/ship-of-fools