Thread: Lorton mandolins

Hey Gutbucket, Note with interest that you have a Stanley Lorton. Just wondering if any other subscribers play one. He is one of the unrecognized builders of not only fine sounding mandolins but also fiddles, guitars and dulcimers. At the young age of 87 he is still not only crafting instruments but still plays them as well. He has the God-given talent of bringing the best sound out of a piece of wood. I live about 15 min. from him and when I occasionlly visit him he always says that his current project may be the last. Then someone comes along who has played or heard one of his creations. Grab one before it is indeed the last one made!
    Charles Stimac

I own the 2nd one he made. It was built in January of 1981. I contacted him a few weeks back and was surprised to hear he is still building and playing. God bless him.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

Default Re: Lorton mandolins

I am new to MC, and I am also an owner of a Lorton Mandolin. I am proud to say that I have number 1, didn't realize that till I got it home and saw the date on the inside. When I was a youngster he would let me try to play it and I would tell him that one day that mandolin would be mine. He had a pickguard on it back then and it just looked different without it for some reason, maybe age had something to do with it. When I saw the date I called him back and asked if that was his 1st mandolin, and he started laughing and said I wondered how long it would take you to figure it out. I grew up a little over a mile from Stanley and played in church with him on occasion. I have a great respect for him as an instrument builder and a person. He's always been the same ol' Stanley ever since I've known him. I now have a guitar of his also, and was told by Sammy Shelor that it is one of the best sounding recording guitar he has heard and one of Stanley's best. I am glad I found this site and Charles I just want to say hello.

Great to read comments by you Stanley Lorton mandolin owners. I am the lucky new owner of his 3/21/97 f style mandolin and I feel like I won the lottery. What a gem. I bought It from someone from Virginia, but they said Mr Lorton "is a hard man to find" ( maybe he meant Lorton instruments). He said he had never met Mr Lorton, who must be 98 now and I hope he is in good health. ����

5. The following members say thank you to Tom McEvilley for this post:

Blog Entries

Would love to see photos. Sounds great!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1842.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	291.8 KB 
ID:	167823

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	IMG_1835.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	167826

8. The following members say thank you to Tom McEvilley for this post:

Still have mine and just got finished picking on it just a few minutes ago before I found this current thread. I've actually kept this mandolin longer then any other one I've owned. Hoping Stanley is still with us.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

I was at an instrument show years ago with Harry West and a fella had a Norton mandolin he was thinking about trading to Harry. Man, did it have the tone! He left with his mandolin.

11. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McEvilley View Post

Name:	IMG_1842.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	291.8 KB 
ID:	167823

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	IMG_1835.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	167826
    I just took off the stock tailpiece Mr Lorton used, since it was digging into the soundboard. I put on a Nugget tailpiece and--- wow. Now she rings like a bell.

13. The following members say thank you to Tom McEvilley for this post:

I live around Floyd, VA where Stanley lived. I had the privilege recently to buy a Lorton dobro, mandolin, and fiddle. All three instruments are beautiful and sound fabulous. The mandolin is a 2005 and one of the prettiest mandolins I’ve seen. It’s amazing that he built this when he was around 85 years old.

Eli Wildman played a Lorton for a bit and it sounded amazing. Not sure Mr. Lorton is still with us but if he is , he will be 103 this Wednesday!