Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ibanez in the 70's

Dear Folks:

I was in a local music store the other day, and they had a used orangish Ibanez a-style with those twin peaks on either side of the neck. #The sales guy said that the instrument was rather rare (Thus the $500 price tag), because it was from the time when Ibanez was copying instruments, and were sued for it.

1, Can anyone flesh out this story? #and
    2, #I don't notice any glaring flaws in the instrument. #There's no sticker inside, but someone wrote "1976" in ball point pen on the inside. #Does $500 sound right?
    (I should say that I am in no position to buy the thing, so if anyone wants to take a short at it, i'll give you the store location and stuff.)

Thanks!

OK, just a few things. Number one, the "Lawsuit" had nothing to do with mandolins, it was only applicable to the Guitar "Open Book" headstock design, and two, most instruments described as "Lawsuit" instruments had nothing to do with the lawsuit. Read about it here. At the time of the "Lawsuit" one of the divisions of Norlin (the parent company of Gibson at the time) named L.D. Heater was importing amazing copies of Gibson instruments and continued to do so after the "Lawsuit" as did many other companies. On eBay any instrument that even remotely resembles a Gibson and was made prior to 2000 seems to be a "Lawsuit" model. For the most part it is simply B$ and anyone that paid more for any instrument because it was a Lawsuit model has simply bought an old imported instrument that looks kind of like a Gibson.

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The first time I ever heard anything about "lawsuit" instruments, it was the Takamine "lawsuit D-28" an amazing copy with gold script name on the headstock, really would fool at any distance past a foot.
    But there was never a lawsuit by Martin...

Those really crack me up.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

If it's in good shape a 1970s Ibanez should cost about the same now as it did originally. I don't know what two pointers went for in the 1970s but I'm guessing $500 is in the correct range.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

It's only worth $500.00 (well even that's kinda high) if it has a solid top and is set up perfectly. Important to check out whether the truss rod is rattling around in the neck, whether the braces are tight to the top (use an inspection mirror) and whether it's solid wood. I've had a few of these are they aren't bad when they're had for under $300.00 or so, but at that price, I'd want a good one!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by (MikeEdgerton @ Dec. 28 2007, 10:04)
    Those really crack me up.
    I have one of those Takamine "D-28" copies an EF-370SK. I inherited it from my great uncle who passed away in 1984. Aside from the "lawsuit" stuff, it really is a nice guitar. My stepson who is a semi-professional musician, loves to take it with him to gigs. He interchanges it with his high end Taylor and says the sound is incredible.

if it looks like this one, $500 would be pretty fair (I'd try and get them a little lower,maybe $400-450)

if it's one of these 2-points it's too high
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

That's pretty much the one! If anyone wants a shot at it, it is at the Music Go Round in Wilkes Barre, PA.

I owned a few of those Takamine Martin look alikes and some of them weren't bad. I bought the first one in the late 60's or early 70's right after they came out. I'll be honest though, it was no Martin, not even close.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I had a lawsuit guitar, it was a perfect copy of the fender. dealer told me that for the money and if I didnt play in a band and wanted the name. this guitar was a good deal, and it was as good sounding and playing as the fender.

There was never a Fender style guitar involved in any Lawsuit.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

well I guess the guy told me wrong, but it was identical to the fender, strat, top to bottom

They were called that, there were tons of them. It's an urban legend that all of these instruments were "lawsuit" instruments. The only lawsuit was for the shape of the Gibson guitar headstock.

--M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I had one of the Takamine copies for several years. The story I heard was that just the threat of a lawsuit was enough to get them to stop. I had an opportunity to compare mine side by side with a D28 once and the label and decal were the only obvious differences; even the braces were the same. I was never very good on guitar, but better players who borrowed it always said nice things about it. I thought it sounded great. But you have to take that with a grain of salt; now I am always confusing my Gloucester with an F9.
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

I've got this 70's Ventura. I paid $50 for it years ago... and it's just fine, sort of. A pro setup would probably make it quite nice.

I've always thought that they were probably from the same factory as the Ibanez two points - Is that correct?

I own a "lawsuit" Takamine D28 copy. It has fooled more than one Martin snob. It has even pi**ed off a few of them that I have the audacity to play it.

Again, there was no lawsuit regarding Takamine. What you have is an imported copy of a Martin guitar made by Takamine.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I bought one of the Ibanez two pointers in the 70s and if memory serves me correctly (which it often doesn't) paid about $50.00 for it. #I also bought an original Ibanez rectangular case for the mandolin (probably a rare item today as hardshell cases were quite expensive back then) for about the same price. #Both of them were near mint except for fret wear and I sold them a few years ago for about $500.00. #I had watched the market on these for a while, and they just weren't moving at an asking price in this range. #My opinion is that $500.00 is a bit steep as there really isn't much demand for these mandolins, even with the "lawsuit" hype. #Its really all about the marketplace and the demand.
    BRW #12
    BRW #61
    Kentucky (Korean) 675

arebin, ive got the exact same mandolin form ventura! ive never seen another one out there. crazy.
    "A mando is a terrible thing to waste."

I've got a friend with the same Ibanez mando too. It doesn't have the really heavy finish a lot of Ibanez mandolins did and is quite a decent instrument. I think he paid $400.

Quote Originally Posted by (MikeEdgerton @ Dec. 28 2007, 13:04)
    I owned a few of those Takamine Martin look alikes and some of them weren't bad. I bought the first one in the late 60's or early 70's right after they came out. I'll be honest though, it was no Martin, not even close.
    The "S" models (340S, e.g.) with the solid tops were really nice intermediate guitars, and hundred$ less than Martins. They were stone copies, though, and I notice since then that Takamine has modified its designs to be more distinctive. Takis were among the first all-wood guitars with really good built-in piezo amplification, and enjoyed a period of real popularity among country musicians 'cause you could play 'em loud on stage. Still a good buy, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

matrix

Speaking of Takamine guitars, I had the D-35 copy. Ok guitar.
    Honda VLX 600 M/C.

Quote Originally Posted by (allenhopkins @ Dec. 29 2007, 01:49)
    Takis were among the first all-wood guitars with really good built-in piezo amplification, and enjoyed a period of real popularity among country musicians 'cause you could play 'em loud on stage.
    That and they had an excellent artist relation department
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Registered User Andrew Faltesek's Avatar

My Takamine F-363S indeed has the Martin style gold script on the headstock, which is shaped on top similar to the Gibson style but bolder, and a specially shaped bridge.

Compared it with a few Martins of similar vintage years ago, and found the construction virtually identical.

It differs from a Martin in neatness of construction detail in terms of preparation before finishing, but is well finished. Inlay and binding well done, tiny bit of color/filler noticeable at (white)binding end seams. Bracing and components internally all neat and well made. The spruce top and rosewood sides and back all nice quality 70's wood.

It sounds great; especially after all the years of playing. A Martin in the same class/age would be of similar (or a bit more select)material and construction quality, but would be impeccably finished from any aspect. Purchased for $350. way back when; it is almost freakish how much it is worth now...that is why I held on to it. Mike is right...no lawsuit, just a good copy.

Sorry no mando content