Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tablature vs. staff notation

Quote Originally Posted by (NumbersAndNoise @ Jan. 08 2008, 07:56)
    If the tab is identical to the book then it qualifies as copyright infringement, yes. The entire idea behind this is that it is the result of your own findings, and that while the notes are the same, this specific means of playing them is a new contribution. If you don't mind, though, I would like to put aside the discussion of the copyright element of tab, as we're drifting very far off topic. If you'd still like to discuss it, PM me, or one of us can make a new thread.
    This still seems like an attempt at justification to me.

Sure, I'll put the copyright issue aside. I should have given up on that one some time ago. Obviously, the "new paradigm" is that anyone should be able to take whatever they want without a second thought to those who created it. Pardon me for being old fashioned.

It has become obvious that I am wasting my time with this whole discussion anyway.

If you want to think that tab is equal to or better than notation, go ahead.

The tune (as performed) is the territory.
    The instruction set - whether tab or standard notation - is a map.
    That's as far as I'll go with this.

Read my first post in this thread. It sums up my experience with tab vs. notation.

I shouldn't have responded to anything else. Unfortunately, I allowed this issue to be clouded by those who just want to cry "elitism."

Sorry, didn't read the thread (to much bickering)

I like TAB, but I also read standard. Both are a language to be learned and used. It's not like one is Latin and the other Pig Latin. Both are ways to communicate musical ideas. Which ever one you work in the most is the one that you will be most fluent in. I like TAB because I can sight read using TAB faster than Standard. This is because I work in TAB the most.

Think of notation as a bikini vs. a one piece bathing suit. Both are different and will appeal to different folks, but you wouldn't go to the beach without one or the other
    And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

I think I am like Jonathan ... more fluent in reading tab vs notation. I don't see a problem with using tab. It has helped a lot of people. I know it has made me a much better player. As I mentioned I can read tab very well. I guess because of using it for so long but I know it's just a way to get into a tune when you need help. I'm sure if I had the years of using notation I would feel differently. I see both as a way of learning. Maybe one is better than the other but atleast we know both helps.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

I'm slow at reading both tab and notation (laziness). I like to hear a tune played and then use the Tab or Notation to get the right notes, especially the indistinct ones. I'm equally bad at both Tab and Notation.

And just to add to the mix...
    When I'm playing a tune the notes in my head are in Tonic Solfa. This allows me to change keys on the fly just buy knowing the fingering of the scale in different keys. Probably sounds amateurish to serious musicians but I guess that's what I am. My music background is the tin-whistle and since I can only get two clear keys ot of a tin-whistle I had to buy one in whatever keys were available:

G -both low (Susato) and high (teeny Generation)
    A - Low only (Susato)
    Bb - Low (Susato) and high (biggest Generation they make)
    C - Low (Chieftan - not so big) and high (Generation)
    D - Low (really big Chieftan) and high (Susato, Generation, Clarke, Guinness)
    Eb - high (Generation)
    E - Low (Chieftan)
    F - high (Generation)

I've never seen tin-whistles in Ab, B, or Db.

Sorry to digress.

Interesting read by a guitar player/teacher

Why Should I Learn to Read Music?
    Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

Plato hypothesized that dependency on writing as an external memory store would be detrimental to memory.

Discuss.

Not as detrimental as alcohol......