Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricky Skaggs

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Del McCoury, hands down.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Scott T. posted a really good salad receipe over on another section... mmmmm.., ZZZZZ . Have a fun weekend all.. Moose.

The irony of this thread is that if somebody else had started Bluegrass music, Bill Monroe would've never in a million years just copied them. He was driven to create his own music, and would never have been content to be anyone else's "torch bearer". So who do you think carries on Bill's
    creative fire and spirit?

again Del, pushing the boundary's and bringing it back home. "when Ricky sticks to BG" his music is definitely at the top, AK expands the appeal with her cross over stuff. Ralph is certainly one of the livings icons, there are others who get alot less press, but the above three are really out front (at the present) this discussion kind of shorts guys like JD Crowe and Doyle Lawson, and their contributions, in whose company I'd put Peter Rowan. maybe its a group effort........

No one at the moment is the "torchbearer". Ricky Skaggs and Peter Rowan certainly get my vote as being capable of "Bringing Monroe back into our Hearts" with their music. So, with that said Del and Ralph Stanley are about all that's left of the "old school" that have remained reasonably true to their Bluegrass roots. Bill Monroe will not be replaced, but Dell and Ralph certainly advance to fill a certain void that commands respect for their dedication to the trade.
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

I agree with Ourgang. As long as we continue to play and
    even if we do "covers" once in a while, we are carrying the
    torch. I believe Mr. Monroe would be proud of what is
    happening in bluegrass today. New and younger groups are
    continuing the tradition, maybe not like Mr. Monroe did, but nonetheless, the music is thriving. Even if he didn't like a group like Nickel creek, I think he would still give them a word of encouragement. Everywhere I get to play, there is always someone that says "Can you play Blue Moon of Kentucky" like Bill Monroe? Not like Ricky Skaggs....or
    Del McCoury...or <your name here>! Like BILL MONROE...

Remember, this is just an opinion. You can be wrong if you want too!
    ManjoMan

Registered User BluegrassPhilfromFrance's Avatar

Hello Bill,
    Speaking about Peter Rowan VERY seriously, I'm seing him as THE torchbearer, although he would probably hate that denomination, because wasn't he the guy who played the guitar and sang lead vocals in the Bluegrass Boys during the 60's and who also wrote one of the most beautiful number sung by Big Mon : The Walls Of Time ? That might be some good reasons don't ya think ? #
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

Del McCoury? Del's band plays too many chords to have anything to do with Bill as far a carrying a torch. Who plays more monroe tunes, has that high lonesome voice, has had a good relationship, is more well known, and has a greater band than Ricky Skaggs? -Of course everything is subjective but Skaggs has a bit of it all.

Hello Phil, no arguing about Peter Rowans talent, contributions etc, but as "current torchbearer" i would say it would need to be someone who's regularly now on the BG charts (see BG unlimited eg) and whose music is accepted as consistant with to Monroe's definition of BG. Peter R would meet neither standard presently, just my opinion... I like F5journals answer.....

If you are talking about who is bringing Bluegrass and BG flavored music to the masses, then it is AKAUS hands down. Who is bringing the most traditional sound to the masses?...........I'd have to say the Del McCoury Band.

I still do not understand how Bill Monroe can get the whole credit for Bluegrass music? Was he an inovator? Yes I believe he was. Did he create the genre of music that is considered Bluegrass all by himself? I don't think so. I personally feel that Flatt and Scruggs had more to do with the developement of the sound than Monroe did. Like it or not it just ain't BG without scruggs style Banjo....anyway that is fodder for another thread.

I do like what someone earlier said.......I am the tourchbearer of BG. Me and every other musician who spends their weekends playing this music we love so much!!...... or something to that effect.
    "Pray for a good harvest, but keep hoeing."

Everyone's talked about the "high profile" guys like Skaggs, Rowan, McCoury, but how about some of the low profile guys like David Davis and the Warrior River Boys. After all, David's uncle, Cleo Davis was the first Bluegrass Boy (guitar). David puts on as good a show as anyone out there, bar none. Great singer, great mandolin player, great songs, great band. Or what about Melvin Goins? He's been at it for 50 years or more. These guys run the roads all year long, summer and winter, taking Bluegrass music all over the country. Not only that, but they've stayed true to their musical roots. Skaggs was a sell-out in the 70's and 80's, Peter Rowan's music for the most part is that off-the-wall
    c--p he does, Bluegrass only if he has to and Del's music is the same as Del's music has alway been, Bluegrass, but with a twist, not really traditional. These 3 guys, are for the most part, "up-town".
    What The ....

I just looked up Bobby Osborne's site. Wasn't even sure if he was still alive.

Seems to be still on the road a lot. Don't know a lot about him, but his singing on Vassar Clements 'Bluegrass Session' was great. I don't read much about him here.
    David A. Gordon

I'm a country mouse Bobbie Dier's Avatar

I vote for The Del, Ronny, Rob McCoury .
    I wandered again to my home in the mountains....

just to be ornery, Grisman played the music he heard in *his* head, and supported a number of great musicians who passed through his band on their way to playing *their* music. Monroe did the same. Now Grisman's certainly not the "leader" of modern BG, and from there it's just who you prefer to listen to.

That said, I like what ourgang posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by (Wm. Joe Batterton @ June 11 2004, 12:41)
    I still do not understand how Bill Monroe can get the whole credit for Bluegrass music? Was he an inovator? Yes I believe he was. Did he create the genre of music that is considered Bluegrass all by himself? I don't think so. I personally feel that Flatt and Scruggs had more to do with the developement of the sound than Monroe did. Like it or not it just ain't BG without scruggs style Banjo....anyway that is fodder for another thread.

I do like what someone earlier said.......I am the tourchbearer of BG. Me and every other musician who spends their weekends playing this music we love so much!!...... or something to that effect.
    ..can I get a big Amen....Ive thought this way for along time..

Dudley Connell is absolutely the torchbearer. Listen to James King and Dudley sing duets. Bluegrass lives.

And me too of course, and all of you that try to play Rawhide and go to the festivals!
    Aaron Garrett

I remember reading an article back in the eighties and they were interviewing Monroe. They asked who was going to lead the next generation in bluegrass music and Monroe 's answer was "I am".

Bobby is the Man! You forget about his mando playing (very great) 'cause he was(is) such a great singer. The Osborne style of vocal harmony was very innovative and hip.

Del or Doc...

Skaggs is a chubber...

Ourgang,

You hit the nail square on with David Davis and the Warrior River Boys. I caught there show a few weeks ago at Kodak, TN (Camperfest). I can`t agree more. The stage presents, the voice, the style of mando playing, the hole nine yards. During there show, I could`t help but think of the Big Mon!

Darrell
    Gibson MM #V-70335 5/2002

Registered User BluegrassPhilfromFrance's Avatar

For a change, let's have a vote for a woman :
    RHONDA VINCENT !!!
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

RV.......:laugh:

As far as the original thread goes...Skaggs started in Bluegrass....good on him. Then he brought a new sound to Country Music....good on him. Then he lost all his appeal when Garth and George and Clint hit the scene. So then he returns to Grass (only after it's a little more popular) and becomes the Self Proclaimed BIG MON disciple and did more preaching than singing....he lost my vote.

I don't know him personally but I have heard from many friends, in and out of the business, that he is a FIRST RATE, self indulged @$$hole. Seems pretty accurate to me.

I would only watch his show if it were part of some bigger festival line up.....not just a Skaggs show. He's a great picker and singer and has done alot for the Music, but just doesn't get my vote.

As far as a Modern Day Torch Bearer, there are many to be considered....Doyle Lawson deserves as much credit as Del McCoury in this department so I'll go with this:

Doyle Lawson - Bluegrass Gospel Torch Bearer
    Del McCoury - Traditional Bluegrass Torch Bearer

There's many, but that's about as close as it can get for me.

Quote Originally Posted by (doanepoole @ June 10 2004, 21:52)
    Gotta add Brakeman's Blues to the Monroe cover list. I'm not sure Monroe would have been to keen on covering Dylan tunes or Flatt & Skruggs tunes, though
    Monroe did record Cabin in Caroline in 1976.
    Lester Flatt suggested it to him.

Other covers, quite a few country standards: Poison Love
    When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
    It Makes No Difference Now,
    Journey's End,
    Sugar Coated Love, A Fallen Star, Four Walls
    (though I believe the last two were not really
    his choice, as he sounds very uncomfortable
    with them). And Watson Blues is
    really You'll Find Her Name Written There
    (which he rocorded too)

The instrumental Milenberg Joy is an old standard
    popularized in jazz by Jelly Roll Morton,
    although Monroe transforms it
    (beautifully) into a march or
    a polka.

...the Old Old house....he covered that one too...

..JDart...go ahead and tell us how you really feel...now dont hold back none..ya hear....Ive heard the same thing about Ricky..esp. from people who are associated with the Hicks camp...And Skagg's mando style has changed too...hes more Monroish now....I liked his style he had back in the 70's and 80's.....he was truly one of a kind then..