Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Texas pickin' park

Dragonlady,
    #An Email and an invite to view my photos, are at the Email address above.

Todd

Hey Chili. . . . Wow! your photos are fantastic. . . and they are now posted on our website at www.texaspickinpark.com Check 'em out.
    DS :-o)

Hey Dorothy,
    #Glad you enjoyed them. #After I got them posted on the net, I wanted to get in touch with ya'll and see if you wanted to use them, I just could not figure out how to get in touch. #Hopefully I will get up that way again before the season ends, if not I am really looking forward to next year.

Blessings Always,
    Todd

Chilidog,
    Yeah, hope to see ya' on the square one of these days! We're still posting pictues. . . so check 'em out. A very well-known "hot" band has offered to do a concert in Fayetteville as a fund raiser some time over the next few months for next year's festival. That would be cool. . . and we'd probably make it a full day of jammin' to go along with a concert. Maybe that would make it worth the trip for you.
    Dorothy

Blog Entries

Anybody headed to the Pickin Park for this weekend (June 14th)?
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Dorothy,
    #Heck it's always worth it to come up and listen/pick, I just have to find the cash to do so! #I am sure you will send out announcements via your mailing list when that event happens. #Maybe, just maybe, I can pull it off!

Todd

I'm headed to San Antonio and the Texas Folklife Festival. Plan on getting to Fayetteville next month.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

We'll likely be headed up to Crockett for the World Championship of fiddling. But, I hope to be there in July.

Blog Entries

My buddy Ron and I went yesterday (6/14). We had a good time. I drove from San Antonio and met up with Ron in Zuehl (just outside of Marion, home of the Great Waldo Pepper). We stopped off at Old Kingsbury Aerodrome to visit some friends and check out the WWI planes being built.

Rather than get back on I-10, knowing we had plenty of time we took US 90 to go tourist. This was great. There was no traffic and for the most part it's 65. We stopped in Waelder for a soda and just strolled across the highway. It's pretty country and it winds back and forth over I-10 every time we crossed and saw all that traffic we were glad we were on 90. One thing I noted was the movie theater hotel in downtown Schulenburg. When I was preparing to go to the big event (belatedly) I found it on the internet. It's supposed to be haunted.

We drove up 77 to La Grange of "they got a lotta nice girls out there" fame. Not finding the 71 bypass we took 71 business out of town. I hadn't been on 71 since I lived in Houston in the '70s so it was way different. We took 955 up to Fayetteville and there we were. I noted as we came in that the road was 159. I had seen a 159 cutoff on the way out of La Grange. I checked MapQuest and they are one and the same and starting from the 77/71(Business) intersection it would be shorter (of the six of one, half dozen of the other variety).

We pulled into square and found a gaggle of guitarists in the gazebo (say that fast three times). Being hungry we asked for a recommendation and went over Orshack's for a burger. Good stuff, btw, I recommend their onion rings. Drifting back across the square we pulled out our mandolins and joined the fray.

Now for anybody who was there please excuse me for not calling your name. I have the wooorst time with names. I'm very good with technology and the detail that goes with it but names, it takes a while. I do know there was Collings D-2HA Brazilian and D-18, D-18GE, D-28 and HD-28 Martins. (See what I mean?)

So Ron and I just sat down and enjoyed the ambience. Everybody was HOT but being it was about 10 degrees cooler from San Antonio so it was tolerable. This was about 1:30 the shaded gazebo and the breeze kept it OK for the afternoon. We lazed through a bunch of tunes. We were later joined by a Taylor GSMC.

We were about to wrap it up when Ben Buchanan from Austin showed up. He played a song and I finally recognized him. I know him from seeing him a bunch of times in Harwood, Luling and Austin. He was accompanied by an banjo player #and a lady with this neat silicone rubber stringed portable electric bass. This launched us into a pretty good session of tunes including a set of Merle Haggard covers that were more bluegrassy than his bluegrass album.

Although the talk was the jam would get better later, Ron's on his last month of driving the big trucks before retiring so we needed to get back West. We packed up in lengthening shadows and bid fond adieu to Fayetteville. We'll be back, though probably a little later in the day.

We wandered back to Schulenburg and got on I-10. Good day, good trip. I fell asleep watching the TV about 30 minutes after I got home.

George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    Martin Guitars

Blog Entries

Got an e-mail in from the Pickin Park.

For the summer, the official start time will be 6:00pm.

Next session July 12th.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    Martin Guitars

Anyone headed out to Fayetteville later today?

How'd the jam go in Fayetville last weekend? I'm leaning toward getting a carful of pickers from my area and checking it out in August.
    TEXANS!
    Song-a-Week group
    SKYPE me at 'grykat'