Thread: Peterson mandolin - address?

I'd like to know more about Peterson OMs. I see there's a Peterson zouk for sale at Elderly. Before going further with that one, I'd like to more of a general nature about Peterson instruments. Googling hasn't produced a website address. Anyone here know more??

Thanks.

It's Bill Petersen.
    www.petersenstringshop.com

FYI- there's a used level 2 Petersen OM in the classifieds right now, in case you're interested. NFI... I just noticed it.

There are several Petersen owners around here you could ask about their experiences. As an avid reader of these boards, I have yet to see/hear anything negative about them... most seem to agree that they're a terrific value, a nice step up from the "entry level" TC's and such like.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

A search of the forums here should get you -lots- of conversation and information about Petersen instruments. As mentioned, they're a really nice step up, quite accessible and very good quality.

Bill Petersen is a character and a good craftsman. He visits festivals in a wonderful antique top hat with feather. A good man.

Around here a good friend of mine just bought a used L2 OM that is really nice, and another friend nearby has a matched pair of Petersens, a long-scale (~24+") five-course cittern and a 22' octave mandolin.

Use the addr above and write to Bill with your questions, he's usually most helpful.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Thanks to all who set me straight! I'm a little surprised Google didn't prompt me to my spelling mistake (En not On) . . .

Anyone in a position to compare Petersen OMs to Gypsy OMs? I'd really like to hear from those who've tried BOTH, of course, but individual reviews still appreciated.

otterly2k : Yeah, I did notice the Petersen at Classifieds - actually, that's what got me to post. I've contacted the seller - not heard back yet, tho'.

What do you think about the asking price of $1050 . . . ?

re: the price... the Petersen Level 2 is listed at $1100 new, including the case. A 2007 instrument that is lightly used is still a used instrument, imho. My guess is that the seller is trying to recoup as much of his cost as possible to put towards his new order (as stated in the ad). Is it reasonable to ask a used price so close to the new price? If it's very close to new condition, perhaps. However, used instruments usually run well less than the same instrument new unless it is collectible or rare enough and in enough demand to have appreciated in market value. Ultimately, it's up to the buyer to decide if it's "worth it" to him/her. At least the seller is including shipping, but for another $50+shipping, you could get a new one from Petersen himself...
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

I'll join in on the Petersen bandwagon. I've got a level four Octave Mandolin, a custom Mandola, and a level two short scale 5 course Cittern. I love them all. I am lucky enough to live in Iowa, just a couple hours drive away from Bill. I first bought my OM new from him, a couple of years ago; went to his place, and he had 3, I seem to remember, there for me to play, and decide which I wanted. The 2nd instrument I got from him was the Mandola; I went to his shop, the only one he had was his personal one, which he sold me. My Cittern, I bought used, and took it to Bill to go over, change the strings, etc. The mandola and the cittern were both built about 10 years ago.

I would think that one thing to take into consideration to decide if a used instrument is 'worth' it, when compared to getting a brand new one from Bill himself, would be to find out just what Bill has available for immediate sale, and if he doesn't, how long it would take to build one (I think he's told me it takes about 6 months).. so, if you were wanting one NOW, then the used one would be 'more worth it', if you know what I mean! I don't believe he has much of a stock of ready to sell instruments; with the good reputation he's got, I think he's pretty busy making the ones he has orders for.... but he may have some available. So, I'd check with him first. I will say that his website includes his phone number, and he's admittedly not much for e-mailing, so calling would probably be your best bet!