Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Female mandolin players

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

A good test is practising in front of a large mirror - if you don't get confused by the lefty look of your own fingers, you're disconnected from about any kind of visual distraction.
    The difficult part is to stay concentrated in that detached attitude while watching your fingers play - often I can't remember if I played the A part twice already or not...

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Look at me on my You Tube:

Susi on You Tube
    I do sit down, though.
    But, when standing up, you might want to try to hold the mandolin more sidewards, pointing the peghead sort of forward instead of to the left. Then the mandolin will get away a bit from your body. If you don't know what I mean I can send a picture.

I just started playing mandolin 2 months ago, but I am very busty, and I just let my right breast over the mandolin top...I play standing up in the streets and subways as a singer. Really this is the only way I can do it otherwise the mando is way out in front of me...hopefully nobody notices the maneuver to get it in this position...he he

Oh, I also let the neck go out forwards a bit...this is actually better for the arm too...& let my right breast over the top of the thing...only way I can play...I prefer to play standing up when performing.
    Regarding pain...proper posture, and exercises...hold arm out straight fingers pointed to sky...bend back fingers slowly...then turn fingers to floor, bend fingers towards you slowly...then, fingers pointing to sky again. bend each finger back one at a time...this stretches tendons. Also shake hands. Take rest periods and rest hands inbetween...do these exercises and shake hands...listen to your body so you don't get serious injuries...

below is a picture of a pear shaped oud, designed for female players - could be the impetus for some specialized mandolin luthery:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oudx_e.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	33612  

Well this is what they tell you when playing guitar as well...
    "and it's said to leave your fingers down on the string until you need it somewhere else, are you supposed to keep pressure on it as well, or just keep it there on the string, but not pressing down?"
    When I stand I hold the mandolin just under my right breast...seems to be the only way I can do it when standing...I had an A style now I have an F style...and just started playing 6 weeks ago...I play guitar also...I am playing in the streets and subways this way...searching for a way to play 3 to 6 hours without harm...also looking for help to play better...maybe a good DVD...I'm a singer...