Thread: What to play on om/gdae tenor guitar?

I bought a very nice Gibson L4 Tenor a couple of weeks ago, tuned in GDAE, and I love it. #

Can anyone recommend things to play? #I know that's a little open-ended, so let me try to narrow the field a bit. #First of all, I'm not that good. #I really like some of the tunes in John McGann's book, particularly Cooley's Reel and Bits of Ginger, but I can't get them up to speed yet and frankly I can handle only so much Irish at a time. #I love the bouzouki arrangements from Tim O'Brien's Homespun DVD -- basically just ballads with the melody linked together by arpeggioed chords, slow and pretty. #I also just kinda sit around picking; sometimes I wind up doing some of the slow Bach partita stuff and sometimes I might stray to Dylan or Clapton or Tupac or whatever, just as long as it's not too fast. #

Anybody got any tips on additional things that would be fun to play, particularly on a Tenor -- and where I might find them?

Or if you're not feeling helpful today and want to talk about yourself instead, let me rephrase the question: #whaddaya like to play?

If you lean toward the Irish, there is a wealth of material for tenor banjo that translates note-for-note to the TG. I got started on the Tbanjo (coming from mandolin) by listening to Seamus Egan (that would be the Oregon Seamus Egan). His CD "In Your Ear" is a dandy. These days, every time I see Seamus, he's playing a tenor guitar...you'll hear some on the recording.
    Oh, it is fast, but learn the tunes and soon comes the velocity.
    Do you know about www.thesession.org? There is a huge archive of tunes in several formats for you to while away your time.
    Slainte!
    Tim Crosby
    "Let us re-fill our glasses, for it's good to keep idiosyncracies well-moistened, they being subject to deterioration in a dry moral atmosphere." -O.Henry

It sounds like your doing just what I did when I got my first one. (yes there is TGAS also) As you get more comfortable you'll get better and faster just like on the mandolin. Slim had a good suggestion also...tons of good stuff there! Any mandolin song ya know can be played also but some of the stretches can be a pain to get used to. Have fun with it, it sounds like a really beauty of a T-guit!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)