Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strings; j-74 vs. j75's

I'm thinking about stringing up with D'addario j75's. Has anyone made the switch? What were the results? Any problems with increased string tension? My mandolin is pretty lightly built. I would love to get a little fatter sound in the trebles. What about mixing gauges? Thanks for your input.

I tried them once instead of the J74s I always use. They were just too stiff for me, and there was not much change in tone on that particular instrument, so I quickly switched back. It's only a 7$ experiment though, see what happens.

Chip

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (troika @ Jan. 17 2008, 12:33)
    I'm thinking about stringing up with D'addario j75's. #Has anyone made the switch? #What were the results? #Any problems with increased string tension? #My mandolin is pretty lightly built. #I would love to get a little fatter sound in the trebles. #What about mixing gauges? #Thanks for your input.
    I've had the best of results with J-74's. I love 'em so much I'm too chicken to change to anything else on my MK A+.
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

I've used both, and while I do find that the 74s are noticeably easier on my fingers, the 75s really bring out the tone and volume for me. I'm sticking with the 75s, though I'm partial to EXPs over the Js nowadays as the Js never lasted me very long and I'm not fond of frequent string changes.
    Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

My favorite aspect of the 75's is the thicker treble strings. I tend to overdrive the 74's on any thing that has them on them. The treble notes themselves really bloom too. My next step is the exp's, as like jasonh, they never last that long. I have very caustic hand sweat!! Like anything, you'll get used to the larger guage sooner than you think, and your mando will open up more quickly with more tension on the top!!
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

I prefer the snap and punch I get with the J-75s. Just a crazy thousandth of an inch makes all the difference.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

J75's have a fatter sound for sure...

Having really liked the J75's over the J74's I also tried the Sam Bush Gibson Monel set and now after a second try of all 3 types I'm sticking to the Sam Bush set.

As a bonus with Sam Bush set you get a spare A & E string.
    Mando: Weber Bitteroot

Aren't the Sam Bush strings even lighter guage than the 74's...in particular the A's?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

I think the 75's are much fatter sounding and because they're stiffer I can really dig in.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Blog Entries

J-75's made my mandolin sound a little richer, but the 74's are easier, I too also like the Sam Bush monos.

Yes Sam Bushe's a knats chuff thinner:
    Sam Bush Monels: 11 14 25 41
    J75's : 115 16 26 41

Mando: Weber Bitteroot

J75's have a 26 on the D
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

J-75's are louder and honestly I like the way they sound better on my F5G. The other side of the coin is that I play J-74's most of the time because I can pick them cleaner.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Believe it or not, I put the J75 A-string on my mando otherwise strung with J74. The J74 A-string features a lower string tension than the other strings, and suffers more from "end effect" tuning problems (where the string played open is in tune, but the notes in the lower frets tend to be sharp). I find that replacing the J74 A-string with the J75 A-string softens this "end effect" problem.
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

1 more for J75s
    Rick Smith

Collings MF5 Deluxe V

Closet Mandolin Player Mark Walker's Avatar

I've had both on my Silver Angel. #74's are a bit easier on the fingers; I get EXCELLENT sound with them but GREAT sound with 75's. #(Ken sends his mandolins out from his shop strung up with J75's.) #

I suspect some instruments may not exhibit much difference with the strings; others will show a significant difference. #My PacRim Lotus sounds 'okay' with either; no noticable improvement with 75's on that mandolin. # JMHO #YMMV! #

"The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I truly am..."

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

One of my mandos I use the two J74 wound strings and heavier singles: 0.115 and 0.16: for the E and A. I got standard D'Addario plain steel guitar strings. I have a tailpiece that accepts ball ends, but you can take out the ball if necessary. The J75 wounds are just plain too stiff for my strength, but on that mando I need more projection and "bite" on the trebles. I tried the Sam Bush strings; again the wounds were fine but that wimpy 0.14 A just didn't work for me. And now I have that extra sitting around...

J74s on one of mine and J75s on another.

On the Gloucester I have J74s which sound great, but J75s just have no sparkle on that mando.

On the other hand, the Bovier has a nice, beefy sound and very good chop with J75s. J74s don't sound as strong on that one.

On all my flat tops I use light strings, usually sets with .010 for top E.

Just so you know, I talked to Weber and they do not recommend J75 strings on their mandolins. They recommend only the J74 string range gauge but on any strings you like. 11 16 26 40 is what they say you should use.
    ntriesch

Blog Entries

I had mine set up with J74s and they sound great. I once tried J75s and the result was a muffled, closed, sound. J74s are what my mandolin asks for. I also Tried JS74s and they sound dead out of the package to me.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Default Re: Strings; j-74 vs. j75's

Nick wrote: "Just so you know, I talked to Weber and they do not recommend J75 strings on their mandolins. They recommend only the J74 string range gauge but on any strings you like. 11 16 26 40 is what they say you should use. "

I wrote Weber asking about the J75s (after seeing that Jeff Austin uses them). They said I'd just need to adjust the truss rod.
    Last edited by Daijoki; Aug-29-2010 at 9:12am. Reason: Added original quote.

I switched from 74s to 75s because I find them much brighter (on my acoustic).

Blog Entries

Went back to J-75's couple weeks ago. Got tired of replacing the Gibson sam Bush E and A courses with heavier gauge single strings. J-75's do make a big sound, very good tone, they just give out so fast.

Man, I feel so wimpy with my puny J73's. Hitting them with a heavy pick is probably a forum of bullying.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hoople View Post
    The J74 ... suffers more from "end effect" tuning problems (where the string played open is in tune, but the notes in the lower frets tend to be sharp). I find that replacing the J74 A-string with the J75 A-string softens this "end effect" problem.
    I've never heard of this "end effect," and would have assumed the sharps on the lower frets were due to an intonation problem(misplaced bridge). How does this "end effect" work?