Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $3000-5000 mandolin?

Check out " Grey Eagle' mandolins - putting out a great F5 for $2500, also some sound bites on ' You Tube' and his site.
    keith madison

Sumi F5 Deluxe. Great mandolin, Great price.

Its defintely worth looking at some builders like BRW and Daley. But if you want to go for something that is more easily accessable for that instant gratification, you can find a new Collings MT2-V or a decent Weber F-style in that price range from a lot of different dealers, and who knows you might find one you really like and get attached too.
    Ruhland A5#68
    Lyon & Healy Style A

The answer is right in front of you. EVERY mandolin suggested is a copy of Orville Gibson's idea. So why not get the real deal and what Bill Monroe played?

You can get a used Gibson Fern for around $4.5K and it will have that sought after by many woody punch that many builders chase after but few can duplicate!

Andrew Mowry is a very gifted builder who has a growing reputation. I just love my f5 he built for me. The tone is awesome!!!

I'd suggest a Schneider.
    Mine is often noticed for having super tone and volume.
    Bob's a great guy to work with as well.
    -Alana

IMO, Don Paine, Pomeroy mandolins will fit the bill nicely. Don makes amazing mandolins, works very well with the buyer to make sure you get exactly what you need and stay within your price range. Even his most simple mandolins sound brilliant. pomeroyinstruments.com
    -- Mandorado --

Closet Mandolin Player Mark Walker's Avatar

Lots of great builders and mandolins out there, but I'll throw out another vote for Silver Angels. #They've all got a loud, deep, woody tone, and are great value for their price point. #There's a nice used one in the classifieds HERE that was originally in the $4K range and is reduced a good bit as the seller is injured and can no longer play it.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I truly am..."

I'm gonna (once again) throw my recommendation in the ring with suggesting to have a custom made Buddy Davis F5 (or A model) mandolin made. Just recently met Larry Stephenson (who plays Davis F5 #003), Wayne Benson's wife, Kristin who is currently playing banjo for Larry as well as Lou Reid (Lou Reid and Carolina) who had all checked out my #070 at a recent concert and they all loved the sound and workmanship put in to this mandolin. A model or F, Wide Neck or Narrow, whatever personal specs you need, he'll set you up right. Can't go wrong for the price! #

No personal gain for me... check out www.davismandolins.com .#Visit his website or give Buddy a call! # #
    'Tis better to know that you have a True Enemy than to know to have a False Friend "...(quoted by unknown).

OK - I have to jump in here. #I've owned an Eastman 815V for about four months now, and it's a great mando, but it's no Loar, and I don't expect it to be. #I don't want to get involved in which particular mandolin maker makes the best mandolin in your price range and I'm not going to. #However, yesterday, I spent a good part of the afternoon at Mass Street Music, and I played every mandolin they had in the shop, including some that are more than double your 5K top end. Here's the thing: #none of the brand new mandos had the sound you're looking for. #Several of the used ones did, and two of them were in the lower end of your range, including an incredible Bruce Weber-signed Flatiron F5. #They also had a Summit A-5 type mando for $2200 that had the sound. #I don't know exactly how old these instruments were, but they all were well played-in.
    So, even if you have to travel a bit, it would be worth your while to get to a good stringed instrument store and try out as many mandos as you can. #If you don't mind a little wear, you might find "the one".

Good luck in your search,
    Bob

I'd second the idea of looking at what's out there in shops (and at festivals and such that have a good showing of vendors), and don't even consider buying a $5,000 mandolin unless that instrument is tonally "light years" ahead of every other mandolin in the shop/festival. Even if it takes a year or two of looking around, it will be well worth your time in the long run to find that special mandolin...and it will be obvious when you find the instrument. #For $5K you will find instruments, here and there, that stand head-and-shoulders above most other mandolins. #

Surely there are many, many "very good" mandolins out there in the $5,000 range, as mentioned above, but the odds of you getting "that really special" mandolin new from a $5,000 builder are not good, in my opinion (for three-to-five times that much, you increase those odds dramatically).

I think you should hold out for the "special" mandolin that results from a comprehensive search...but again, it is easy (much easier) to simply buy/order a really good $5,000 mandolin, if you don't have the will or enthusiasm (and patience) to go on a search for the "special" one. After all, you can always talk yourself into thinking that you have that one really special mandolin, even though it's probably not all that special (many of us...me included...have spent years doing exactly that).

As one example of a "special" $5,000-range mandolin, I once played a Brentrup A (varnish) that, in comparison, made several Prucha A's and F's (both varnish and lacquer) sound like toys--I thought, what's the big whoop about Prucha? #Then a few years later I helped a friend who was comparing a really nice varnish Brentrup F to a much-less-expensive lacquer Prucha F; there was no comparison this time either, although just the opposite--this particular Prucha mandolin's tone was not only far superior to the Brentrup's at hand, in the opinion of everyone who compared the two, but the workmanship on this Prucha was a huge step above that particular Brentrup. #Lesson: #much depends on the individual mandolin, even instruments by the same maker. #Many will tell you that it's all what you hear in your head as to what's special--I disagree to the extent that most/all people will be in awe of that "special" mandolin...not so, the merely "good" mandolin (not in awe, anyway).

I am not saying anything new here, of course. #And I surely don't mean any ill toward Prucha or Brentrup--in fact, I hold both makers in very high esteem (they both have produced "universal-awe" mandolins).

I had a Prucha F, Then Weber Cedar F but the MF5 I have will never leave.

I love my Passernig already, and I know that it will only grow over time. I also get a ton of compliments on my x-braced Flatiron Artist A-5. If you want a "sure thing" in that price range, and want to know that you'll never lose money on a trade, I'd pursue an early Flatiron F-5 Artist with x-bracing. You probably won't want for anything else.
    Passernig #42

I think Potosimando makes some VERY good points. Not all mandolins by the same maker are equal. They are all different. #IF you can get out and try a lot of mandolins, you SHOULD.

On the flip side ... Some of us don't live in an area, or have the time to do that. So, it's a little tough to try a lot of mandos before buying. In my case, I live way up in the mountains, and there are only a couple of music shops in my area. I went to those shops and tried as many mandos as I could. I'm happy that I did, because I found a few Pomeroy mandolins available at Great Divide Music in Aspen. I got a lot of information from Sandy Monroe, the owner, and a recommendation to go and meet Don Paine and play a few more Pomeroys. With my budget, I was just barely able to afford to by Pomeroy #21. It's not my only mandolin, but it is my favorite mandolin, and it sounds wonderful. I can also say that from my experience playing quite a few Pomeroy's, I haven't played one that doesn't sound like it has the potential to be a great sounding mandolin. Blackjack has become a great mandolin, and sounds wonderful, I'm very happy to say I will have this mandolin as long as I live, and I think it will last a lot longer than me!

That's not to say you won't find a wonderful sounding mandolin, maybe a used mandolin, that is broken in and really sounds great now. You SHOULD spend some time looking, and playing as many mandos as possible before jumping into an expensive instrument.
    -- Mandorado --

Thanks again to everyone who has responded to this query. I think that ultimately I am going to follow the most prevalent advice which is to get out there and play as many mandolins as possible and let my ear do the decision-making. I am fortunately not in any rush as the Eastman is still treating me fine for now. I think if I find a gem within the next couple of years I will be pleased. Hope to meet some of you out there on the trail and pick a few numbers with you.

Cheers, Joe
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Eastman 815 (#443)
    Crafters of Tennessee dreadnought guitar (Built in 2002)

A lot of posts on the cafe seem to imply that all builders are trying to achieve the "Gibson sound". #While that sound is distinctive and woody, it is not my favorite. #If one is looking for the Gibson sound then the answer would seem obvious (if you can afford it) - buy a Gibson. #If you prefer a different sound, which I do, then look elsewhere. #From my trailer, you will notice my preference for the BRW sound (Engelmann tops), as I think it is fuller and brighter than the Gibson sound. #The bottom line is to find a mandolin that produces the sound you are trying to achieve, and that makes you happy. #This is very personal and cannot be prescribed by brand names or the recommendations of other players. #You have to play as many mandolins as you can and then decide on what pleases you and your style.
    BRW #12
    BRW #61
    Kentucky (Korean) 675

I started out with an Eastman 815, which I picked (by sound alone) over a bunch of Webers and the like. #Then I got my hands on a high-end instrument and got MAS. #Don't have that sort of cash to spend, but manged quite easily to fall in love with the looks (and reputation) of the Phoenix. #So I called Rolfe, talked over what I wanted, sent him money, then selected the neck, back, and side wood from samples he e-mailed me pics of. #What showed up at my door (see avatar) cost me at the lower end of your budget and plays well above that, even according to some Mandolin Gods. #Go look at the Phoenix website. #If you're not fixated on a $1,000 straphook, it'll be worth checking into.

Gene R. Rankin (a CheeseHead)
    Phoenix custom Deluxe

Take a look at the Summits

http://www.satsong.net/bluemoon/summit/
    Dave

Check out Greg Boyd's website. He's got a lot of great sounding clips of most of his mandolins. It's just nice to compare them on nice speakers.

The ones that really perked my ears (for some reason) are a 1991 Givens A3 (the high notes are crazy tight) and the Kurt Gisclair "Husky". Both are in that price range. My new Pomeroy should be here Thursday. I'll let you know about it too.
    2003 Pomeroy F5
    1909 Blackface Gibson A
    Unnatural Hatred of Flutes

I just got thru Carlo Aonzo's mandolin workshop in New York and there were a few Bussman mandolins there. I have to say that I have yet to play one of Bill's that I was not impressed with the sweet tone. Amnd i have probably played a good half dozen of them. I would say that I am a vintage junkie but his do have that woodiness and certainly falls in your price range. One day I will own one as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here is another voice for the "Pomeroy" crafted by Don Paine in Colorado. Top quality craftsman and just a jewel of a guy to work with.

Whomever or whatever that you choose, be sure by all means, that they will give you an approval time with the Mandolin.

Good luck.

Al
    "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to Dance in the rain."

By all means, try all you can get your hands on. And keep in mind, there are many pinnacles of excellence.
    Wye Knot

mandolin player wannabe leathermarshmallow's Avatar

I do not own an expensive mandolin. My Best instrument is a Glen A model that Allen made for me. I have noticed the following:

1)Owning an expensive "Killer" mandolin is for those with money.
    2)Owning an expensive "Killer" mandolin is certainly out of my price range for many years to come (I am a school teacher with 4 children still in my home)
    3)Unless you only run in circles that have many accomplished musicians that "know" good instruments, most people will not be impressed by your custom xxxx made mandolin that cost xxxx amount. In fact, they will probably look at you funny and think you are a little odd to spend that much money on a musical instrument that you don't use to make your living.
    4)If you spend several thousand dollars on a mandolin, and you are part of a family that does not appreciate the beauty, sound and art work of these wonderful instruments, you are cruising for a BIG argument in the future (unless you just have LOTS of money laying around in the corners of your house begging to be spent).

Having said that, I would love to have a nice Gibson, Collings, Weber, or (you name it) mandolin; and someday I may have one. But for now, I will have to be content with what I have, and try to squeeze the best sound and music out of it that I can. I am saving my pennies for a new instrument or a new Motorcycle (depends on the day and my mood as to which I am going to buy next)

So good luck to you on your search for the next conquest!

Greg
    Greg in AZ
    Gee...I wish I didn't have such fat fingers!

"I do not own an expensive mandolin. My Best instrument is a Glen A model that Allen made for me."

Greg,
    All true! But don't be quite so modest about your Glenn. A friend in town ordered an F from him last fall, and it is one of the nicest sounding mandolins I EVER played. And the price was about half of what I thought he must have paid for it. French polish, inlays, the whole 9 yards. He was set on buying a Poe till he played a Glenn.

Allen Jones may have been making the best value in mandolins ever. Word is he's now working for Gibson, so maybe his pricing paid off for him after all. You may actually have one of those expensive mandolins you were talking about, you just didn't pay a lot for it. That keeps everyone in the family happy.

My Pomeroy should be here tomorrow. I called my wife and said "Tell me not to buy it". When I told her what it was, she insisted I buy it. How's that for a loving marriage!
    2003 Pomeroy F5
    1909 Blackface Gibson A
    Unnatural Hatred of Flutes

there's been a bunch of Gibson F5's of one variety or another floating around lately for just under $ 5K. If I was in the market for a mando in your price range, I'd look for a Gibby. Play a bunch of them and find one you like. I have seen a couple of the artist signature models for right at $ 5K....I don't think you could go wrong there.