Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $3000-5000 mandolin?

I have been playing an Eastman 815 for a couple of years now and would like to upgrade. Any advice for what kind of mandolin to go with in term of bang for the buck. I prefer those with an old woody tone. I tried a friends Heiden the other day and it knocked my socks off, but it is obviously beyond the price range described above....

perhaps a daley, or a gibson there are so many choices

<I prefer those with an old woody tone.>

I'd suggest an Old Woody mandolin.

Have you considered having one made? There are many good builders out there that could build you one within your range. To name just a few Condino, Newell, Dean.

No finanancial interest here...Just a thought to another direction you can be looking.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

Blog Entries

That is a very healthy range - you have a lot of excellent choices.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Look at BRW, for around 4k you cannot beat his stuff, very loud responsive, even dare I say old and woody. The build is spot on too.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

I love my Silver Angel. Should be able to find one in your price range and I bet you'd like the tone.

If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Another vote for BRW. #In that price range you should be able to find a good used one, or even have Ben build one for you. As I also have an Eastman 815, I can tell you the difference between it and my BRW is not representative of the difference in price. New, my 815 was $1600 and my BRW about $3800. There is much more than $2200 difference in the two mandolins. BRW is one of the best values out there.

NoNickel

Duff F5 #196/15
    Plays the "Irv Pearman" Signature Set

All misspellings intentional. Even thsi one.

Joe,

A year ago I faced a similar question. In my case it needed to be a custom job because I'm a lefty. If I were right handed I think I would take a trip to (in my case) Mandolin Brothers and just start playing. I would also probably take another player to play back to me so that I could reallly get the sound. It just seems to me that if you're going to spend that kind of money you owe it to yourself to make a road trip somewhere that you can play a wide variety of mandolins. Depending on where you live that trip can be more or less expensive, but (assuming you are in North America) it will still be a fraction of the cost of the mandolin.

ebeneezer- (I just wanted to use that word) and others. Sorry in advance to turn this into a BRW love fest, BUT, at around $3750 (in my case two years back) to get an Adirondack topped F5 in varnish with a very clean build and with great tone and feel a BRW is hard to beat. Ben Wilcox (BRW) builds a fine mandolin with exceptional value. To be sure there are many other great choices in this price range so enjoy looking around and expect a great instrument. The Cafe classifieds are an excellent source. Some really killer A models in this price range also.
    Bill

Registered User Chris "Bucket" Thomas's Avatar

What about a (real) Flatiron and pocket some of the savings?
    Chris

2007 Gibson F5-L Fern
    1919 Gibson A-0
    2019 Black A4
    BlueRidge BR140
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristopherSThomas
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188214780

I think the obvious question is why do you think you need to upgrade? It would be helpful to know what pains you. Is it simply the woody tone you're going after?

I've owned lots of mandolins in that price range, including BRW, Gibson F5G wideneck deluxe, Collings MF, several Webers, Givens and my Randy Wood two point. If I had that money right now, I'd plunk it down with Bill Bussman and have him make me one of his Old Wave F5s and never look back. The two Old Wave A models I've had are still missed, among a huge list of trades and sales I've done. He's just great to work with, and the funniest guy to receive emails from ever. His mandolins are incredible. Just my opinion, but that price range has been my hunting/trading ground for years now. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

Remember the difference in neck widths and flat or cambered finger boards.
    I have a Gibson 'Fern' and nothing else comes close to it. I also have a Gibson F5G for daily use and carrying on airlines. A decent used one will be in your price range and may keep its resale value better than the others....

I'd rather shop for new carpet colors.....less choices!
    For 5grand the choices are pretty much unlimited but at the same time still a gamble on being a great mandolin.
    Some are some aren't. Investment grade? Find a killer 50's F12. Just want to get the job done and get better than what you got? Go with the new KM1500 when they come out and spend the difference on a cruise for your family. That would make you and your family happy. You are about half way of getting a Cadillac so might as well settle for a nice loaded up Chevy until you can afford the Cadillac.
    I guess what I am saying is your Eastman may not be as bad as you think and if you want to move way up you need more money to do it right.

Thank you all for your insights. These are all really good points that I have been struggling with and I would say that I agree with the post that recommended that I go on a road trip and play a whole shop full of brands to really get a sense of what I am looking for. I suppose what troubles me with the Eastman is that it only really has the tone when the strings are new and the playability is a case of "close encounters past the 9th fret syndrome" despite having it recently set-up by a pro. Admittedly it does have days when it is a hoss, but I feel like it might be at the point that it is limiting my progress on the instrument. Anyhow, I am very intrigued by the Daleys and BRWs. Any thoughts between the two? I will have to research these other makers that you have all mentioned as well. Thanks

Joe

Joe,

One other thought regarding the smaller builders. If you are interested in Daley or BRW or Old Wave, etc., you might contact the builder to see if there are any in your neck of the woods. It might give you a chance to play/hear their work. No assurances that there is one close but it is certainly worth the effort.

Jim Hilburn: http://pages.prodigy.net/jim1307/

or a Givens A

In that range I suggest #a Collings MT V or a MF, both outstanding in every way and great resaleprices for the next climp up the ladder. You may also be able to find a used MF5 5 for #$5,000.00 and never have to look further.

Hard to beat Eastman for the money, but you are obviously wanting to move to the next "level". There seems to be a lot of variation in Gibsons, but I found my 2000 Daley-signed F5-L (Fern) for 5K (basically the going price), and it is one of the best mandos I've ever played. I've never been totally intrigued by Gibsons, but I will concede that when you find a "good" one, they remain hard to beat.
    Collings are very nice, with more "consistency factor" to my ears, and pre-Gibson Flatirons can range from very good to out of this world! I went with Gibson for the investment-resale factor secondarily, but primarily for the great sound and playability that my particular F5 has. Plus, it has more of an older looking "two-tone" sunburst like a '22 Loar I played in San Francisco once. I have acclimated to the finger rest, and it's just a great looking mandolin. Good luck!
    Roscoe Morgan

2000 Sim Daley signed Gibson F-5L

www.sunsethillmusic.com

just got a new ratliff r5 two dys ago. right in your price range. definitely worth playing and listening to. like anything else, lets your ears do the talking. but this is a nice intrument

Will Parsons is another fine builder that is easily within your price range. His varnish F-5's run about $4500, lacquer ones are around $3500. You can find his info in the builders section.
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Passernig

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

If you are looking to take your instrument to the next level, you must feel your playing is worthy of that, too. In which case, I'd trust my ear by getting out and playing as many different instruments as possible. Your ear will tell you which is best. Visit one of the shops that has lots of different types of instruments and play them all. Go from there.
    Sound is all. It's a musical instrument.
    IMHO
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Have you looked at the classifieds here ? ... I've noticed some nice ones in your price range at this time. So many good mandolins by so many different builders in that price range. Me ... I would go for a Gibson. You never have to worry about getting your money back or could possibly make a profit if later you ever decide to upgrade again. That has been my experience with Gibson anyway.

I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45