Thread: Appointments

I've just seen an ad. in the classified section which describes a mandolin as having ' Sam Bush appointments ' I've seen this description used before on both mandolins and banjos, what on earth does ' appointments ' mean ?

In my vocabulary and appointment is an arrangement to meet someone or do something at a specified time and place.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

The term "Appointments" means features and fittings in this context, a usage that I would expect to find in English literature from the 30s.

Jeeves would approve!
    Ed

"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." H.L. Menckin

The erudite and expansive Stan Jay has used that term for decades in describing instruments. He throws in double-entendres, literary references, Big Mon-isms, anything to jazz up the descriptions. I still have the accompanying letter from a 1978 Mandolin Brothers purchase, where he writes "...Finding a mandolin with the bark and the bite for under $500 is a boon to the bluegrass musician".

Couldn't have said it better, at the time

Dave,
    I know you are enquiring about the use of the term appointments, but here's the spec for the Sam Bush with "appointments" (read features) from Janet Davis' website.

Sam Bush Vintage Edition

* Construction: Solid spruce top, figured maple back, sides and neck
    * Fingerboard/Inlay: Ebony shortened, exact replica of Sam Bush's mandolin, 21 frets/Pearl block; exact replica of 30's style F-5
    * Headstock Inlay: Flowerpot
    * Binding: Triple white binding
    * Hardware: Gold Plate, Hand-Engraved
    * Color: "Sam Bush" Burst
    * Finish: Lacquer

Includes Case

Sam Bush has had a lot of input into the specifications for this new model, based upon his own Gibson F-5.
    Beautiful bell-like tone quality when playing solos; super chops, too! This mandolin is really special!
    Highly flamed maple/ ebony fingerboard with square inlays of mother of pearl;
    Slightly wider fingerboard and string spacing than standard;
    Worn finish on the back of the neck-much like necks on many high quality vintage violins.

Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Blog Entries

I believe that the use of the word "appointments" in reference to a mandolin's accouterments may stem from its common use, in that sense, in the violin world. It's actually a classy way to describe something. (Good for asking a high price, too!)

Red.

Webster still has it as the 3rd of 4 meanings for the word:

http://www.webster.com/dictionary/appointment
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

Quote Originally Posted by (AlanN @ Jan. 22 2008, 07:18)
    The erudite and expansive Stan Jay has used that term for decades in describing instruments....
    Well, as Stan does have a Masters Degree in English (as I recall) I'm going to guess his usage of the term is grammatically correct.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber