Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vega roundback mandolins

Default Re: Vega roundback mandolins

Whoops, not sure why that didn't work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URxh20xmSSg

try again!

Here's a little help for you, Marc. You just go to advance, click on the youtube button and put in those letters after the equal sign in the youtube url

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks Jim,
    not classical I know but just thought it might be of interest to Vega nuts although I was just messing round and didn't make the vid specifically to show the instrument otherwise I'd do some close up shots etc. Still you get an idea of the sound,

Cheers,
    Marc

Bowlbacks don't have to be only for classical. I have been playing some choro on mine.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I've got 2 Vega mandolins these days and was really impressed by the quality. The plain student model was no less well made than the fancier model. Great sounding, every bit as good as the Martin student model. I don't see the artist models too often for sale, but i'm looking, now. Eventually one has to go through Ebay!

Yes, I've seen very few high end Vegas for sale. I'd naturally be interested to know what a Pettine or Abt Special was worth these days!

Marc

How very strange and karmic... after Marc posted his video and revived this thread, a sort of real life thread revived itself for me. Back in March of this year a woman contacted me about a Vega mandolin. I IDed it for her as Pettine Special and gave her some info about the mandolin and about Pettine. I have been looking for one sometime. I told her I was interested in buying it but she thought that she might like to learn to play -- which I did encourage her to do. She said that if she did sell she would give me right of first refusal. I had not heard from her at all and then the other day, I got an email from her that she was interested in selling. There are some other odd circumstances in the interim but today I worked out an equitable deal with her for the mandolin.

It does need some work, some of it potentially costly, but in thought it a good enough instrument to take that chance. Anyone recommend a luthier to take this on?

I have posted pics on this Post a Picture of Your Bowlback thread.

Here are a couple:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Anyone recommend a luthier to take this on?
    The only US based luthiers I know of that work on these much are Paul Hostetter and Jake Wildwood, but you probably know that already Otherwise you could try asking on the builders forum if anyone can recomend someone closer to you.

HTH, John.

Congrats Jim,

With this beatiful Vega mandolin! Take good care of her.

Best, Alex.

Marc-

Nice playing!

RSW & Jim-

Nice mandolins!

Thanks Mick! And John (Tavy) are you interested in looking at my Vega Pettine Special - it needs some work and as I live in Devon also might be worth meeting up?

Marc

http://www.myspace.com/marcwoodward

I have posted pics on this Post a Picture of Your Bowlback thread.
    There are a few more (and much better) photos taken outside today at the thread linked above.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

As a merely informational aside, I note that Bernunzio has a Vega Lansing Special on his site. I understand Lansing to be a player of the era, not a town in Michigan; I also have heard that they in general do not come up to the admittedly very high standard of the other Vega named special models.

The player was George Lansing. I have a method book published under his name. I think the Lansing Specials were still pretty nice instruments but there has been one at Lark Street Music for a number of years and I think the one at Bernunzio has been there for awhile also. Here is the one at Lark Street.

Looks to me to be (I don't have any reference here) a style 2 with a Lansing plate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VegaLans.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	65645  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

You can see the one at Bernunzio's here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Bernunzio's example has the distinctive and very appealing engraved position markers that adorn Vega mandolins in general. The Lark Street instrument seems to have plain dots.

If the backplate is silver, could be worth a bit on its own. Genuine silver coins pre-1964 are trading at 25 times face value. Surprising how the dollar has tanked. Not that I'm suggesting you melt down your mandolins for the metal, but there's usually a bit of gold foil under the Italian tortoise pickguards.

(Picture of Bob walking down the street behind an old cart pulled by a clapped-out nag, offering new mandolins for old. . . . There was an old man with just such a cart used to come thru my grandparents' neighborhood, collecting rags and paper. Also I remember a scissors-grinder, with his foot-powered device strapped to his back, working my neighborhood. Just a bit of the Old Country, came along with everyone else. I miss that neighborhood; it'll never reappear, I'm afraid).

Whoops. Slipped back thru the Chronosynclastic Infundibulum again. My mother told me to be careful I didn't get stuck there; now I wouldn't mind, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    The only US based luthiers I know of that work on these much are Paul Hostetter and Jake Wildwood, but you probably know that already Otherwise you could try asking on the builders forum if anyone can recomend someone closer to you.

HTH, John.

Dan Larson and I developped a Vega model inspired by my own Vega "Pettine Special". I believe there is little significant difference between the Abt, Pettine or any other high end Vega mandolins. Even the mid range Vega's are for all tonal purposes of the same caliber.

You can see the one at Bernunzio's here.
    This is a bargain as long as the neck is straight...

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Walz View Post
    Dan Larson and I developped a Vega model inspired by my own Vega "Pettine Special". I believe there is little significant difference between the Abt, Pettine or any other high end Vega mandolins. Even the mid range Vega's are for all tonal purposes of the same caliber.
    Richard, that is a strong position statement, and given your experience with Dan Larsen, certainly to be taken seriously. Since this thread is expanding into a more thorough discussion of Vega bowlbacks, could you elaborate more on this? What does separate a Pettine from a Lansing, in your estimate? Or a 'mid-range' Vega from an 'Artist Model'?

thanks!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I glanced at my Lansing Special jpegs and it looks to me that they took higher models of the regular line like style 2 and style 3 (the Bernunzio example) and put the gear plate on them. The Pettine is a redesigned model -- deeper and slightly longer bowl, maple neck, extended fretboard (24 frets or even to 29), zero fret, unique inlays.

Speaking in general of Vegas -- has anyone seen a style 5? This is the top of the line outside of the artist models.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

It seems the general principle is that the higher the price the more ribs! The Vega Pettine special has somewhere in excess of 30 ribs if I recall correctly (haven't got it in front of me at the mo). Whether this makes any difference to the sound I doubt.
    I would think that Lansing special at $299 looks pretty cheap...though I don't like the look of the split in the back!
    Where else can you get that level of workmanship, tone and brazilian rosewood at the kind of price? Still ain't no good if ya wanna play bluegrass, hot dang!

Marc

www.myspace.com/marcwoodward

Bernunzio (as well as Lark Street) has had this mandolin there for at least a year. It is currently on sale and the rpice is reduced. John seems to be trying to clear out some inventory and slashing prices at the moment. I have a feeling that this one needs some work to make it playable.

BTW I think this Lansing model is pretty close to a style 3. See my style 3.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

By coincidence there is now a style 3 on consignment at Elderly: http://elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-5727.htm NFI

I have to say that I was extremely lucky to acquire my style 3. I bought it on eBay and it is (and was) basically perfect, no cracks, repaired or otherwise and in exc to near mint condition. it is prob the only one i have ever bought that needed no work. The only thing I would do would be to somehow compensate the saddle.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: