Thread: Sammo

If I had a little pocket change, I'd snap this one up at BIN. The case is beautiful. It has a cloud TP, looks like rosewood (could be wrong). Has a lot going for it.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Sammo-Mandolin-Rare-Old-Antique-Gibson-Lke-Case_W0QQitemZ200196122042QQihZ010QQcat
    egoryZ10179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage....iewItem</a>

Sammo made lots of bowlbacks earlier. This one looks very much like some Supertones, tho I would have to check my files. Prob made by Regal or Harmony, my guess.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I think your hunch is right, Dave, on the case. One of my Gibsons has the same lining. Or maybe that is one of my sportsjackets. This BIN price might be like my house in Austin, where the land is worth 3X the building.

I'd love to have a Sammo in the herd, though. I'd just like to be able to say that. I do have a very similarly looking Regal, which sounds quite nice. I enjoy the spruce top-rosewood back combination.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

As an fairly infrequent visitor to this--and the Classical--forum, I'd like to ask you guys a question I hope you don't construe as rude or impolite.

How do these many 'odd' brand (they're odd to me, anyway)instruments sound and play? Are the majority of us mandolin players missing the boat focusing our attention (and money) on a few very recognizable and collectible instruments? Or are you guys just fascinated with the oddballs?

I'm trying to see why so many bowlbacks and flatbacks, like this Sammo, which most of us have never heard of, are so inexpensive (relatively speaking). How would you say they differ most from the "big name" makers of old?

If this is a "Vintage Instrument" secret, well, OK. (You can PM me! )

I dunno Mike, you just get a sense of what's good and what's junk, and I think you may have something there about being fascinated with oddballs. The case and the tailpiece are almost worth the BIN.

Hard to generalize about "how they sound and play." #One factor is that most (not all) century-or-so-old instruments are solid wood, not plywood. #Rosewood wasn't so hard to find (no Brazilian embargo), and fancy details like purfling, inlays, and engraved metal parts were found on more run-of-the-mill instruments.

You find gems, you find clunkers, but since the market value is less, you're not risking as much. #The vintage instrument market puts a really high value on certain accepted brand names, and we all know them: Martin, Gibson, Epiphone, Vega, etc. etc. #It's easier for dealers and purchasers to concentrate on the brands that most purchasers know, and these brands command a premium -- not unjustly, since they are quality instruments, played by recognized professionals, and featured by the highest-profile dealers.

I do think that a few boats get missed when musicians and collectors concentrate exclusively on a few brands. #There have been quite a few discussions on the Cafe about some "off" brand mandolins -- Strad-O-Lin comes to mind -- that are good values for the money. #I've enjoyed playing, and owning, Washburn, Weymann, B&J Victoria, Strad-O-Lin, Howe-Orme, Merrill, Pollman, and other mandolin "oddities." #But I'm not an investor, just a player and small-time accumulator.

I think taking a bit of a chance now and then, on instruments like the Sammo, makes some sense. #The Cafe's a wonderful resource for information on mandolins with which few of us are familiar; there are people out there who have much specialized knowledge -- and even better, are willing to share it.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Also bear in mind that there was a lot of cross-breeding (so to speak) in the old days esp in Chicago and tho Sammo (Samuel Osborn Co) was relatively small, it was likely built by one of the biggies: Regal, Harmony, Lyon & Healy or Kay and does resemble others some of us has seen and/or played.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by
    The case and the tailpiece are almost worth the BIN.
    Dang it, Dave, I see your point! I've been looking for a tailpiece just like that one for my Vega 207 (since Mr. Garber is hoarding all his!). But, still, I'm not sure I could use that case...or that mandolin. And, if you strip the TP and the case, you'll get accused of grave robbing, won't you? (another thread....)

This Sammo is very similar to the Supertone (Sears line) that Darryl posted some time ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post_13_88514_mandolin1.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	29393  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Nice, Jim. Is that an illusion, or is the top slightly sunken on the treble side? The binding there just looks to be raised a bit (or the top sunken). I'm slightly sensitive to this problem, as you know. That tailpiece doesn't look quite right, either.

Well, I know it's not THIS mandolin we were talking about, anyway. I went back to eBay...that one has a non-engraved TP, too. I thought I saw engraving at first, and was about to wade into deep waters....whew!

An engraved cloud would be my holy grail, I think.

I own a 1890s Bay State brand (I'd never heard of them either) parlor guitar and it's one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played, and the only Braz/Ad I'll likely ever be able to afford.

The Sammo went for $305. plus $15 shipping! So even on Ebay you can still find something worthwhile.

Reviving this thread I guess....I acquired a SS Stewart (c 1920), and it was probably made by Bauer I have been told. It is one of those flat backed, flat topped mandos like the Sammo. It is a joy to play and does have a much different tone than the 21 Gibson A-2 , and of course my Triggs. Very woody and rich in tone, but does not cut through. Easy to play because of the light strings. Solid spruce top, rosewood back, mahogany neck....wonderful instrument.

An inexpensive mando at the time--but it has vintage mojo and a a great old time sound!

Question--what was the pickguard made of on these style instruments??

Andy

Where's the pic, Andy?
    Without a doubt, celluloid.