Thread: Daeae help

Hey all,

I just recently received a new cittern (about which I will gush enthusiastically soon) and was wondering if there are any of you other players who might be able to give me some help and/or advice with DAEAE tuning. If anyone has chord charts (or even tabbed tunes) to help me out, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks!

Floyd

Roger Landes mentions his use of that tuning on this thread. #Other than that, I can't find any references to that tuning. #Roger will certainly check in soon.

Welcome Floyd,

DAEAE is just a transposition of GDADA, a common, if there is such a thing, cittern tuning. Capo it at the 5th fret and you have GDADA. You will find lots of chord charts for GDAD on the internet. In fact there is a chord chart for DAEA here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~hspeek/bouzouki/daea/index.html

Search through Hans' pages and you'll find some tabbed tunes.

Thanks!

Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by (crispinfoxtrot @ Feb. 01 2008, 14:52)
    Welcome Floyd,

DAEAE is just a transposition of GDADA, a common, if there is such a thing, cittern tuning. Capo it at the 5th fret and you have GDADA.
    Hi Floyd,

crispinfoxtrot is exactly right. I used DAEAE because it was the same intervals as GDADA, which is the first tuning I played in and I could transfer a lot of what I knew to the new lower-tuned instrument. I used to capo to V when I needed GDADA, and to lower frets to accommodate the unusual keys that some singers need. I used to play a lot of Scots and Cape Breton tunes in the open tuning, approaching it like "high bass" fiddle tuning (AEAE) with an extra low D string. It worked pretty well...