Thread: stifling the G string

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

I'm trying to work out a balanced set of strings for a Lyon & Healy Style B, which is my "homework" before taking it back to the seller for work on the nut to get rid of some first-fret noise.

Starting with a set of J74s for a reference point, it's got beautiful sound on the DAE strings but a surprising (to me) over-response on the G string. An open G note just bellows, and I also find that if I play a second-fret A note and release it, there is a really intrusive "ghost G" note with an annoying length of sustain as well. Plus, though the mids and trebles are wonderful, the lower end is also rather brassy.

Thinking "smaller" and "stainless" I tried some of the medium gauge Tomastiks, only to find the volume and sustain aspects actually worsened. Hmmm. Thinking the TI windings may have had something to do with it, I tried the JS74 stainless, which were somewhat better (not to mention cheaper!) but as it turns out same-gauge stainless G-D strings don't pull as hard as the phosphor bronze, so I began getting more fret noise even on the A-E as the neck relaxed.

So now I've got myself cornered in a spot where I'm not sure anymore just what I'm hearing because of all the variables plus acute listening-fatigue.

Before I go back to the seller, using words like "sad defeat": has anyone else been through this? I'm beginning to suspect the ultimate answer may involve having a different bridge built that may selectively damp the low-end. The seller (whose reputation BTW is above any suspicion) may know just what to do, but I thought I'd bounce this one around the board a little first. Thanks for your thoughts and experience. -- PDW
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

I play a lyon and healy c style which also has a HUGE bass response. unlike you, I find the TI starks to really help it. If I move to a bronze string it is amplified. As for the ghost G, I know that lyon and healy actually advertised something about this type of thing(if I understand you correctly). They say that if the bridge is placed in the correct place, the distance from the bridge to the tailpiece will be 1/4 the distance from the bridge to the nut. This results is a harmonic of sorts that can be pretty loud. It bothered me at first and I used a weber wood nymph to stop it. Worked great. Now I actually like it. I also find that different picks make a difference in the bass response. I use pro plecs and TI starks to get my favorite sound(right now at least).

Hope my pointless rambling can offer you some support.
    Phyn

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Aha! Phynie, maybe we're on to something, since the TIs I tried were "mittel" rather than "stark". Looking at some spec sheets, I see the "heavy/stark" set still has less overall tension than the basic J74 set (contrary to my assumption). I may turn out to be a steady "Mandohack" customer after all!

I guess I didn't describe the "ghost G" well. I think it's the first-string fundamental, and what it seems to get down to is that at any playing speed I can't just let go of a first-string, second-fret A note without getting a pull-off effect.

Could you spare me an extra minute to tell me about the wood nymph? This doesn't seem to be anything I've encountered before in mythology or fly-tying.

Thanks for the lead! -- PDW
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Well, the wood nymph will only help if it is a harmonic originating from between the bridge and tailpiece. Here is a link with more info:
    http://www.soundtoearth.com/prod_woodnymph.htm

I would suggest using a piece of yarn and tying it around the strings in that area. If you like the result you could look into getting the nymph. basically, It does the same thing but looks nicer.
    But it sounds to me like the mandolin is being too responsive for you playing style. I have no clue how to dampen that pull off A except for changing your fretting technique. I know that my l&h is VERY responsive also. Especially on the bass end. I did have to change up my technique a bit to get it to sound "right" to my ears. I found that not pushing down as hard when fretting helps a bunch. It also really helps me play for longer because my fingers do not get sore as quickly. It used to take an hour for my fingers to get sore. Now it takes 3-4 hours. But, again, as for a structural solution, I have not a clue. Sorry!
    Phyn