Thread: Shipping a mandolin

What is the best way to ship a mandolin without any problems? UPS, FedEx, etc? Clamdigger

The answers on this have always been spread accross the spectrum of shippers and generally reflect the point of origin and the destination. I've had good luck shipping FedEx Ground within 300 miles of New Jersey. I've had to ship UPS on high valued instruments to make sure they were covered. Some folks swear by USPS. Here are some older discussions on the subject.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I searched for the thread but could not find it. Thanks for the help Mike Clamdigger

Mike is the 'old thread' king!

Who's that-a comin'?
    Mike the Moderator
    Who's that-a comin'?
    Mike Mike Mike
    Say whoooooo's that a-comin'?
    Mike the Moderator
    Mike the Moderator with his thread hat on.

- with utmost apols to John Herald (RIP)

I can't remember what I had for lunch but I remember old threads. It's a curse.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

In my recent experience, to ship a mandolin from California to the East Coast, UPS wanted well over $200 for 2nd day...USPS was less than $100 for the same guaranteed time frame...and on one occasion it showed up on the 3rd day (instead of 2nd), and they refunded my money!

RECENTLY RECEIVED MY RATLIFF R5 SHIPPED UPS IN JANUARY TO WESTERN NEW YORK. GREAT JOB OF PACKING FROM MANDO WORLD HDQTRS. TWO TIPS. IF SHIPPED BY UPS, USPS , ETC HAVE THE SHIPPER INSTRUCT CARRIER TO HOLD FOR PICK UP. DON'T RISK THEM LEAVING THE PACKAGE ON YOUR PORCH IN THE COLD UNATTENDED. THIS ALSO WILL ALLOW YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO EXAMINE THE PACKAGE BEFORE YOU SIGN FOR IT. AND, AS ADVISED FROM WMH, LET THE BOX SIT IN YOUR HOUSE FOR 24 HRS BEFORE OPENING. THIS WILL GIVE THE INSTRUMENT A CHANCE TO SLOWLY ADAPT TO THE TEMP AND HUMIDITY CHANGE. I KNOW, YOU CAN'T WAIT TO GET YOUR HANDS ON THAT MANDO, BUT BE PATIENT.
    EVERYTHING WORKED OUT GREAT FOR ME.

I recently shipped a very expensive vintage guitar and have shipped and recieved a number in the past.

I use FedEx ground in-state 'cause its overnight.
    Other wise I use fedEx air because the less time in their hands the less chance of damage.

I've had and heard bad UPS stories.

Having said that I talked to the folks at the shipping center and their take is that FedEx is (maybe was) more reliable but that UPS paid their claims more easily.

They both insure up to 50K (not cheap though)
    Barry

I have used all the major carriers (thousands of instruments shipped). As far as the instrument getting there safely, roll the dice. All the carriers are pretty close when it comes to damaging packages. Service, claims, tracking, etc.. #do differ.

Some observations:

Service does depend on your region. Packages Shipped via Postal show the least signs of abuse; however, in the event something does go wrong with a USPS shipment, insurance claims are a major hassle. A Priority mail package is not even considered lost for 21 days and the tracking is not reliable. #FedEx is good, but "FedEx Ground" uses independently owned/operated trucks. This is a little different than the FedEx Air service. FedEx has good tracking, but again, insurance claims are not as smooth as I would like.

From the FedEx site:
    "For U.S. FedEx Express, International FedEx Express, and FedEx Ground, it takes 4-6 weeks after receipt of documentation to process a claim. "

UPS is the easiest to deal with. #Claims are easy and quick, the tracking is great and they have massive amounts of manpower. #If something goes wrong, they take care of it fast. Redirecting packages, hunting down mis-delivered shipments, etc. #Good stuff.

One of our suppliers uses DHL. about 90% of the shipments go smoothly, and are delivered early in the day. Great! The other 10% go from our suppler (4 hours away) in California all the way to Ohio, then back to us in California. No wonder there is a fuel surcharge. #here.

Strangely, even though the Postal packages do not look as abused as UPS packages, it seems like they are broken just as often.

Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I thought there was a limit to how much FedEx would insure?

There is a limit to how much USPS will insure.

Thanks to all of you for the taking the time to respond and for the info. I will be shipping it out this AM using UPS from RI to GA and we will see what happens. It is the most convenient for me and from the posts appears to be reliable. Thanks Clamdigger

We use UPS at work so the brown truck comes by every afternoon. Our experience mirrors my own, that they all pay attention to crushing loads, i.e. they don't stack things too high or deep. On the other hand, they all use lots of conveyors where your box will tumble, a lot. The most important consideration, apart from finding a basically sound box, is to make sure the instrument can't rattle around. You start in the case with strategic padding and keep working outward until your pride and joy is immobilized in a soft cuccoon.
    It works for me.

Steve

I recently sent a mandolin insured for $6000 by US mail from Colorado to Maine overnight for $60. It got there in slightly over 24 hours and the local postmaster brought it out to the buyer.

I recommend reviewing the tariff agreement carefully, reviewing packing instructions, and then calling for any additional instructions. Follow the carrier's instructions and a claim proves much easier to collect on.

1. Photograph the instrument to show wear or no wear or damage or whatever.
    2. Put some packing inside the case and photograph that, too. Doesn't matter if it does anything, you're making a record for a claim.
    3. Wrap the case in 3 inches of bubble wrap and photograph that.
    4. Float the bubble wrapped mummy in peanuts or whatever inside a double walled box.

I collected from FedEx without any trouble when I pointed out and photographed the repack they did on a package that didn't come close to meeting their requirements. My original packing job did, but the recipient made a damage claim. So the package got picked up, inspected, repacked badly, and the instrument destroyed on the way back here! Our images always help in claims.

If you can find the company's general counsel's home number and call at dinner time, that helps as well.

Have fun.
    Stephen Perry

I've said it before and it's worth repeating, read the fine print for USPS shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Insured Mail provides coverage against loss or damage up to $5,000 for Parcel Post, Bound Printed Matter, and Media Mail matter as well as merchandise mailed at Priority Mail or First-Class Mail rates. Items may not be insured for more than their value. Insured mail must be presented to a retail employee at a Post Office or to a rural carrier.

For an additional fee, insured mail may be combined with Delivery Confirmation, parcel airlift service (PAL), Signature Confirmation, or special handling. For items insured for more than $200, restricted delivery and return receipt service are also available. The amount of insurance coverage for loss is the actual value, less depreciation. No claim payments are made for sentimental losses or for any expenses incurred as a result of the loss.

My long national nightmare with UPS is ongoing. Shipped an instrument to MA via 2-day air; the buyer decided to ship it back according to my approval policy. He asked me to confirm my address, via e-mail. Thanks to my butterfingers, I sent him my address with two numbers in the ZIP code transposed: 98206 instead of 98026. The buyer takes the mandolin to the UPS Store, where the employee notices the problem with the ZIP code -- but instead of correcting the ZIP code, changes the city name. Result: the package is lost for ten days, and now that UPS has finally found it, they've decided to return it to the buyer instead of to me. This is despite his having filed a lost package claim, which I presume included the correct delivery address.

On the other hand, I had a mandolin sustain some minor damage in shipping last year, and UPS paid the claim in what seemed to me like a reasonable amount of time. It was more than enough to cover the repair. I've shipped lots of instruments with UPS and these are the only two problems I've had. It looks like neither will end in any great or permanent harm.

Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

After 40 plus years in the shipping business, I say the best recommendations are: insure for full value, pack as Steve described above, and ship the fastest way possible. The more time in transit, the more handling a package gets and the more chance of damage. As far as carriers go, FEDEX and UPS are about the same in handling procedures, but if damage does occur UPS settles faster.
    mandomurph

Joyful pickin'!

If you intend to ship a mandolin in a Canadian shaped case, pack the mandolin with stuffing towards the rear of the case literally so it cannot move toward the front of the case. I have had two mandolins that had a ding in the point of the headstock during shipping due to the top/bottom seam and protrusion that occurs near the point. Feel the point area and slide the mandolin forward and back and you will see the problem.
    BRW #12
    BRW #61
    Kentucky (Korean) 675