Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elmo mandolin...need info please

I was at a local Bluegrass jam tonight and came across a gentleman from Ontario. He was playing an "F" style mandolin by the name of ELMO...I believe that's the right name. He said it was made by a luthier (I believe he said) from Ontario. It had the most unbelievable tone I've ever heard in a mandolin. Loud and very rich with great projection. And the workmanship was the best...hand carved spruce top with maple back and sides...all solid...all for around $1500 he said.

Anyone know of this Mandolin maker? I can't find anything on the net for this, even the owner said that I could find it online. I will never see the owner as he is visiting down here only from Canada.

Thank you for any help you can offer me!

Jeff

Hi

I think that ELMO is from New Brunswick, but I could be wrong. I have seen one really nice ELMO here in Nova Scotia. Real dark in the bottom end. LOUD!

Nathan

Hmmm,Doesn't ring a bell. I'm in Halifax Nathan, where was it for sale?

I believe the name of the luthier is Elmo MacDonald. I can't find much info from New Brunswick, but I'll keep looking. I wish he had a website or something to look up at least.

If any of your Canadians can help me out, I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you!!

Jeff

P.S.

I just got ahold of a gentleman by the name of Robert LeBlanc from New Brunswick, who also makes mandolins, and he knows Elmo MacDonald personally, and is forwarding my phone number to him, so he can get back with me. I will keep you all posted on what I find out.

Stay tuned...

My apologies in advance ..... but I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought of something like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elmo.jpg 
Views:	845 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	29694  
    "Ancora lmparo", said Michelangelo when he was in his 80's (I am still learning)

Question

Hehe...

Apology accepted!

Hey, he probably can play better than I can!

Jeff

Know you know if you get one of those Elmo MacDonald mandolins you will have to get a Elmo toy - but the toy will only sing the REALLLY high parts, and his mando playing isn't that great - fuzzy fingers
    "Ancora lmparo", said Michelangelo when he was in his 80's (I am still learning)

Registered User Tracy Ballinger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (LateBloomer @ Feb. 10 2008, 17:39)
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought of something like this.
    That was my IMMEDIATE first thought when I read the thread title... thanks for the visual that matches what was in my head!

Tracy

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Found this:
    ELMO MacDONALD
    (506)368-2218
    Fredericton Junction, N.B.

at http://www.backstagemusicstore.com/R...0Page%2007.htm
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by (Philphool @ Feb. 10 2008, 21:49)
    Found this:
    ELMO MacDONALD
    (506)368-2218
    Fredericton Junction, N.B.

at http://www.backstagemusicstore.com/R...0Page%2007.htm
    Thanks!

I came across this very webpage earlier today and contacted Robert LeBlanc who will get Elmo MacDonald to contact me. For some reason, when you call the phone number listed for Elmo MacDonald, it goes to Robert LeBlanc instead.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by (newbreedbrian @ Feb. 10 2008, 12:02)
    Hmmm,Doesn't ring a bell. I'm in Halifax Nathan, where was it for sale?
    Hey Brian

Sam V. (can't remember his last namd, sadly, v-something) palyes it in a band with Buddy Boutlier. It wasn't for sale. Saw it at the pictou bluegrass festival. I asked him for some info and he indeed said the they were going for about 1200 these days.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by (LateBloomer @ Feb. 10 2008, 19:16)
    Know you know if you get one of those Elmo MacDonald mandolins you will have to get a Elmo toy - but the toy will only sing the REALLLY high parts, and his mando playing isn't that great - fuzzy fingers #
    But he knows so many songs! Of course, they are all to the tune of Jingle Bells.
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

Default Re: Elmo mandolin...need info please

Elmo MacDonald is such a nice old fellow. His mandolins are like Cannons! I've wanted one so desperately for a very long time. When I buy a serious mandolin, it's going to be one of his. The first piece I ever saw of his was at Tony's Music Box in Fredericton, NB. It was a bird's eye maple top, and it had a fiddle-style scroll on the headstock. It was an A-style body if I remember correctly.

The second one I saw was a gray spruce-top F-style. To this day I haven't heard a mando with quite so much balls (though admittedly, I've only got about 10 or 11 really nice mandolins that I've heard that I can compare it to). The spruce was a strange kind of spruce, I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, it was beautiful. It was also sold at Tony's (for 1500 bucks no less - criminial. The last time I checked he was charging $2500. And the guy who bought it couldn't even play that well. I worked at the store, btw)

I hope you got a chance to talk to him. He once repaired a classical guitar for me. He's such a nice fella. Wonderful Luthier as well. And who can resist an axe that just has "ELMO" written in cursive on the headstock!? "ELMO PLAY MANDOLIN!!"

Thanks for the update. I'm no longer in the market for another mandolin, even though if I ever was and had the $$, his would be high on my list of choices.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by LateBloomer View Post
    My apologies in advance ..... but I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought of something like this.
    LOL! No, but you were the fastest to photoshop it.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Quote Originally Posted by Fstpicker View Post
    I was at a local Bluegrass jam tonight and came across a gentleman from Ontario. He was playing an "F" style mandolin by the name of ELMO...I believe that's the right name. He said it was made by a luthier (I believe he said) from Ontario. It had the most unbelievable tone I've ever heard in a mandolin. Loud and very rich with great projection. And the workmanship was the best...hand carved spruce top with maple back and sides...all solid...all for around $1500 he said.

Anyone know of this Mandolin maker? I can't find anything on the net for this, even the owner said that I could find it online. I will never see the owner as he is visiting down here only from Canada.

Thank you for any help you can offer me!

Jeff
    You wouldn't happen to have been playing at Cassia, would you? His name wouldn't happen to be Bruce Archambeau, would it? He and his wife both have one of Elmo's beauties.

Brian
    3 finger chop

I ran across this thread and I am commenting on something on MANDOSCOTIA's comment about Sam V. That would be Sam Viseau (not sure of spelling). He was an old Bluegrass player that was in the Canadian Navy at Shearwater, an Aircraft Electrician if I recall. I knew him to see him and heard him play way back in the late 60's when I was posted there. Last I heard he lived in Wittenburg Nova Scotia.

Small world.

Quote Originally Posted by brianf View Post
    You wouldn't happen to have been playing at Cassia, would you? His name wouldn't happen to be Bruce Archambeau, would it? He and his wife both have one of Elmo's beauties.

Brian

YES, it was at Cassia, and I believe that Bruce was his name!!!! How did you know? His mandolin was probably one of the best, if not THE best sounding modern mandolin I've ever heard with an incredible amount of volume. And his playing ability matched the instrument very well.

WOW...small world!!

Jeff

YES, it was at Cassia, and I believe that Bruce was his name!!!! How did you know? His mandolin was probably one of the best, if not THE best sounding modern mandolin I've ever heard with an incredible amount of volume. And his playing ability matched the instrument very well.

WOW...small world!!

Jeff
    I played at Cassia for many years, along with Zeb Miller, Dale Randall, George Dinsmore, Tom Layton, Bruce Archambeau, Bill Philips, Joe Ball and a bunch of others. Too old, now, staying at home. I've played his mandolin. The one his wife, Darlene, owns is even louder. Being able to purchase one of Elmo's mandolins is a little bit like filing to adopt a child. Not everyone gets one.

By the way, Bruce is also tops on the guitar and piano.

If you get to Cassia again, find Kenny Moore, and say, "Hi", for me.

Keep pickin!!!
    Last edited by brianf; Nov-23-2009 at 3:13pm. Reason: Added comment.
    3 finger chop

My wife bought me one of his mandolins, It's amazing. I'll post pictures soon.

Quote Originally Posted by words View Post
    My wife bought me one of his mandolins, It's amazing. I'll post pictures soon.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=58462
    ...and here they are

WOW...small world!!

Jeff
    My husband and I had the honour of having "Bruce and his wife Darlene" Jam with us. I'm buying his wife's ELMO Mandolin and should have it in my hands paid in full before they head out back to florida for the winter. I've been reading up on the Elmo Mandolins and as a BEGINNER? I FEEL i'll be heading in the right direction.. Bruce's has incredible sound as well as the one i've purchased from them. You can hear it over the 3 guitars and the stand up base his wife was now playing. sign me.. blessed and ubber EXCITED!!!! (TURNS out they both live a heart beat around the corner from us and are amazing ppl i can't wait to know better)

How cool is that? I'm going over to my friend's house tomorrow to play his new Elmo mandolin. I'll give you a report after I play it. It has rosewood back & sides and my friend likes it alot.

Jeff

Here's a couple photos of Elmo and Rolfe Gerhardt at our 2nd annual S.A.I.L. (Society of Atlantic Independant Luthiers) meeting in May in New Brunswick. These two represent 80 years of mandolin building and both make great mandolins.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S.A.I.L. 2010 001..jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	62226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S.A.I.L. 2010 004..jpg 
Views:	533 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	62227  
    Paul Josey

Thanks for posting the pics. It is nice to actually see a picture of Elmo.

Jeff