Thread: '24 a-1

Blog Entries

Saw a mandolin just like this (except finish in better condition) at a picking last Saturday. Thought it was a post-'25 model at first, from the logo. Starting about when did Gibson set the logo in straight like this?

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-1923-4-LOAR-Era-A-1-Black-SNAKEHEAD-MANDOLIN_W0QQitemZ260211470955QQihZ016QQcategor
    yZ10179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-....iewItem</a>

According to Gruhn's book they did it in 1928.

Let me amend that. The only mention in the book of any mandolin going to the straight The Gibson logo took place in 1928.

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I have a 24 A1 with straight logo, loar style pickguard clamp, and back binding. Its all original, I don't have the sn# handy cus' the mando's at home. Seems there are always a few exceptions to the norm specs.
    Mike Lettieri
    AKA Mandolinmyster

Come to think of it the sn# on the above mando would put it in 1925 based on the archive.
    Mike Lettieri
    AKA Mandolinmyster

I suspect this one on ebay had the logo added and they did it straight across for some reason. The catalog specs say there was not one and the ones I've seen did not have one. Gruhn says a few had silver painted on logos that would be at a slant for 1924. Red if you know that serial number it would help to determine if it was a post Loar.

The mando that Red is referring to is an otherwise plain-Jane Sheraton brown snakehead A- serial # 71254 and the neckblock FON # is 11753- not listed in F-5 Journal, but in a cluster of '23s (71249 and 59) with some higher serial # A's specified as '22s (eg: 71261).No evidence of major repair when I got it a few years ago, but has been distressed thru loss of the pickguard over the years... #"The Gibson" is in pearl inlay, straight across & the font looks similar to my A2z, without having both in-hand... I'll try to post pics later. #Always wondered about the logo on that A, but didn't wish to cover it up with 'lectrician's tape... it doesn't interfere with the tone, which is perfect for swing & can even step out in a BG setting (just the player is lacking).

jts

I've got an old Snakehead A mandolin (I think it's an A-1) with the straight "The Gibson" logo. It's a black top, serial number is hard to read - I think it is 82373. Anyone know what year that is?
    Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by (tiltman @ Feb. 17 2008, 22:24)
    I've got an old Snakehead A mandolin (I think it's an A-1) with the straight "The Gibson" logo. It's a black top, serial number is hard to read - I think it is 82373. Anyone know what year that is?
    Kirk
    my 1925 A-Jr.'s SN is 826XX (don't have it here right now so I don't know the exact number, still in the shop). All the other Jr.s I've seen with an SN that high have had the straight-across script, but mine is plain though.
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR