Thread: Mandolin Shipping

What 's the best way to go here? I'm probably buying an instrument and want to get it here safely. It's not alot ($300) but dont want it wrecked either. So UPS ground or air?
    " Sing to the Lord, bless His name;
    Proclaim the good news of His salvation from day to day.
    Declare His glory among the nations,
    His wonders among all peoples." (Psalm 96:2-3,NKJ)

Well Bob, I have many horror stories about the slow route on shipping and nothing bad to say on the fast route if that helps. When I ship something I always factor in the fast shipping to determine weather its a good price to me or not.
    Keith

Does Air shipping have a different handling procedure that makes it safer for instruments?
    " Sing to the Lord, bless His name;
    Proclaim the good news of His salvation from day to day.
    Declare His glory among the nations,
    His wonders among all peoples." (Psalm 96:2-3,NKJ)

Yes, it is handled much less which with the law of averages when messing with something, the more its handled the more chance there is for something to go wrong or screw up. Outside of the obvious of the item going to different processing terminals and different transportation modes the ground is handled at least 2X as much. I have had stuff go ground and consistanly arrive broken and damaged. Im talking more than 7 times out of 25. The Air shipped items have had 1 out of 10 problems...do the math.
    Coarse you could live in a lucky area and not see any of these, its all relevant to where you live.

All UPS employees must spend a mandatory 3 years on either the company soccer or rugby teams.

Bubble wrap is cheap insurance. Lots of bubble wrap......

i made the mistake of sending a mando by ups ground. it was packed tight with paper in the hardshell case, then boxed in a shipping carton, again packed tight with paper. they still managed to break off the peghead and jam the endpin into the body. it's almost worse that now i'm going to have to wait months to be reimbursed, even though i paid for extra insurance. i won't do business with ups anymore.
    john
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

I have had instruments over the years and very recently sent both by air and ground. I have never had a bad experience. However, I would trust air a little more because the instrument spends less time enroute. I also find that I like air because I get the instrument quicker. I think it depends on how quickly you want it and whether that makes it worth the extra expenditure.

When shipping air, is the cargo pressurized? what about teamperature? it gets pretty darn cold at 40,000 ft. After flying it still has to go onto at least 2 trucks, one to hub and one for local delivery (and maybe more). Is Johnny Staats in the house?

I ship a lot of packages with UPS and FEDEX, 60-80 a week, and average one damaged package a year. #I figure that the low rate is due to how I package my products. #When I hear people using things like balled paper, peanuts and bubble wrap I just cringe. #If you have an instrument that you think enough of to insure, then spend a little money and get some proper packaging. #You can buy prepackaged expandable foam packs that will give more than enough protection. #Here is a link to a company that makes them. #You can probably buy them also at office supply stores or retail shipping stores.
    instapak

I just bought a Gibson F5-G and it was shipped via UPS. It arrived on time and undamaged. The guy had it in a large box with lots of large bubble wrap. It was also in a hard shell case so that may have helped. The case was in the middle of the box with some cardboard holding it there. The bubble wrap was all around: all sides and the top and bottom. Oh yea, it was shipped regular ground in two days.

Jacob Hawkins
    Play, play, play!

Jacob Hawkins

Blog Entries

Consider distance, time of year and worth when shipping an instrument. If it will be traveling from coast to coast then go Air. The UPS system is setup so that a package travels the most efficent route. However if you ship ground from the coast then it will travel by TOFC (trailer on flat car) rail and takes about seven to ten days. I really would not want a Mandolin setting in a rail yard in Modesto, Texas while cars are being added. I have also seen Banjo's shipped from Gibson that broke before getting to the next state (poor packaging) but it was a Banjo and no real loss. (Just kidding) Overall, Next Day Air or Second Day is great. Then there is going and picking it up yourself. Lots of options but beware, some carriers sub out shipments through the post office or a third party.

Hope this helps...No, I don't work for UPS (not anymore..I retired)
    It cost no more to go first class...You just have to pay a little longer....

All Bluegrass Videos ---> http://www.youtube.com/mikeb43

Or ---> http://www.facebook.com/StanleyandCompany

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I have had great success with Postal Service Priority Mail and also with UPS. When the shipment goes in the plane, the cargo is pressurized.

The most interesting shipping story for me was to receive a mandolin from California that was shipped only in the case. It was closed with the priority mail packing tape with no padding inside whatsoever. It arrived fine, but rattled all the way to Virginia - ha.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I've bought about a half dozen guitars as well as my old mando off of Ebay, sold two and never had a problem with UPS. My new mando is coming via Fedex tomorrow...I'll letcha know. I'll also be sending my old mando via USPS priority mail I believe. Think I'll go get a roll of bubble wrap as I've never mailed an acoustic instrument...

Just got an old mando today by way of UPS ground. No problems...it is how it is packed (don't ship with the bridge on).
    Dave

Its been said here before by experienced shippers, we -have- to pack the headstock down firmly so it can't possibly move in the case. I like to wrap the peghead with bubblewrap then tape, firmly filling up that whole area inside the case. Bubbleswrap won't compress/de-compress like paper wads. Please ask your less-experienced shippers to do this.

Oh yeah, I was on the receiving end of mandorose's shipment above, man was I sick to open that case and see that. That was not a very enjoyable phone call to make to let him know.
    I happened to have a witness and a digital camera ready when I did open it. The next time I had UPS wait and watch while I opened and checked for damage.
    2001 Flatiron F5

Glad to say mine got here fine this morning. Actually, the guy could have put a bit more paper/bubble wrap in the box. After reading this I will pack the heck out of the one I've sold!