Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What make of mandolin is this man holding?

Default Re: What make of mandolin is this man holding?

Neil:
    Is it a worthwhile work for the price? is there info in it that is not available elsewhere? I figure I would buy the pdf print it on two sides and have Kinko's bind it and it would be cheaper than the paperback.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Has anyone picked up Hjalmar Anderson after he moved to Seattle?

Since I work for the local Swedish Cultural Center and play in the local mandolin orchestra, Hjalmar could turn out to be an interesting fellow.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Professional History Nerd John Zimm's Avatar

Off the top of my head I am not sure what he was up to after going to Seattle, but I do have a newspaper article from the 20s or 30s talking about Hjalmar visiting Madison for the first time since leaving around the turn of the century. I'll try and find the PDF tonight and post it after my little one goes to bed. I also know he published some mandolin pieces in Seattle, and taught at at least two different schools. With a little time I can gather all of my sources and explore some of a small collection of Hjalmar's letters that are in his father Rasmus' collection at the Wisconsin Historical Society. If you wouldn't be too bored by it, I can also send you an article I unsuccessfully submitted to the Wisconsin Magazine of History about the UW Mandolin Club. It is a little dry, but a good part of it discusses Hjalmar Anderson.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    Ah! must thou char the wood 'ere thou canst limn with it ?
    --Francis Thompson

Sure, send away. The local research that I'm aware of has focused on a fellow named Carl Ostrander; it would be interesting to know how Hjalmar fits in.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Neil:
    Is it a worthwhile work for the price? is there info in it that is not available elsewhere?
    It's been a while since I've looked at it, but next time it surfaces I'l get back to you...

Professional History Nerd John Zimm's Avatar

Let's see if this works. I'm hoping to attach here an article from the Wisconsin State Journal, September 28, 1934, describing Hjalmar Anderson's return to Madison after a 25 year absence. This has a few interesting details about the man's life.

I should mention that the article is barely legible in the beginning. This pdf is from newspaperarchive.com, but I think I may have a slightly better scan somewhere. If it turns up I'll post that one.

-John.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WSJ 9 28 1934.pdf  
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    Ah! must thou char the wood 'ere thou canst limn with it ?
    --Francis Thompson

My pal Jim Feroe has found a reference to Hjalmar Anderson in the Seattle Times ca. 1904. Same publicity photo as the one in the first post in this thread. Hjalmar is also listed as "Prof. H. O. Anderson"; we think it's likely that he held a teaching position here in Seattle as well, possibly at the other U of W. There appear to have been as many as six or seven mandolin groups in Seattle during the Golden Age, not counting college and university clubs; Hjalmar's group is listed as the "Anderson Mandolin Orchestra."

Martin, any photos of those clubs? There might be a Knutsen or two lurking within that I would be interested in seeing..

There's a great photo of a local African-American band, turn of the century or thereabouts, with a pair of Knutsen harp mandolins. Been a few years since I saw it.

Hjalmar Anderson's mandolin was indeed a Bohmann, per a conversation I had this weekend with my researcher pal Jim. He has Seattle archival material concerning Hjalmar, but I don't know if he has seen this piece from the Madison paper.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    There's a great photo of a local African-American band, turn of the century or thereabouts, with a pair of Knutsen harp mandolins. Been a few years since I saw it.
    That was Frank Waldron's Wang Dang Doodle Orchestra. Photo is under copyright, but you can find it by Googling. Just one Knutsen, but three mandolins altogether.